1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FORD revises MPG for 6 cars

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by fotomoto, Jun 12, 2014.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    C-Max and Leaf are in the same midsize class. Jetta is a compact.

A better comparison for Jetta is Focus EV.

#81 usbseawolf2000, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well in any case... greenercars.org lists the Jetta Wagon TDI as 45% greenscore versus 38% for the Tesla EV, and that supports your claim that electrics are not really as clean as people believe:
    greenercars.org | the best small wagons

#82 Troy Heagy, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EVs are not that clean. When Leaf came out it was worse than 50 MPG Prius in most of the states. 2013 model made improvements and the grid got cleaner so now it has slight lead even on PiP.

Tesla sure made it sound like it is cleaner than Prius. The SuperCharger was marketed as powered by the sun when in fact it is from the grid.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Troy, why is it you're always in an argument? Do you just love that?

5. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The Greek philosophers believed a healthy debate will eventually lead to the truth. The U.S. Founders thought speech should remain uncensored for the same reason.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is all in how you power it. When my Leaf is powered from my 10KW solar array, it is way cleaner than any gasser, Prius included.

If you can buy a Tesla, you can buy solar. Every Tesla owner I know has at least some solar at home.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    They also came up with words that amount to saying: it is a waste of time to argue for arguments sake, unless you are trying to teach us the elements of spin, BS, and trolling. In which case I suppose I should thank you, but years of same is boring.

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Healthy means looking closely at the data and no assumptions.

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But if you don't know how to interpret the data like it seems you often don't, then that's not healthy.

usnavystgc likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I find this argument way more wrong than right. The PV you use from your array to power your EV is PV that your neighbor would use if you had a Prius. Now that your neighbor cannot use that PV, he uses dirty energy instead.

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No he uses dirtier than solar natural gas energy but still cleaner than coal. Very little of our power is coal, especially true since the only coal plant had a fire a couple months ago and will be completely offline until 2015.

And I do have a Prius, it sits there for the weekends. If he wants to try and run his SUV off of PV, go ahead.

If your argument is that the best efficiency should win, I still win driving the Leaf off of pure grid around here.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Right, so your LEAF runs on NG rather than the petroleum a Prius consumes.

Good choice. I just want to point out that PV cleans up a dirty grid and does not go to waste until someone buys an EV.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No doubt EVs would be cleaner with solar panels but at a cost. 10kW panels would cost $50k installed. Not practical for the mainstream. A mainstream plugin needs to be clean using regular grid electricity. PiP achieved that. Energi models are not cleaner than the regular hybrid models.

I think a lot of owners end up selling solar RECs to recoup the cost of the panels, giving up the claim of "solar powered".

However, he can mislead and say I have an EV and solar panels without giving details of what he did with SREC. Others would assume his EV is powered by solar. In truth, it is powered by the grid.

14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    10KW for $50? Way out of the ballpark there. And backfeeding surplus in the day and then buying back at night from coal or natural gas is still to me solar. If my meter spins net backwards, I am running on solar.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We in california - largest PV state - do not get REC's .... so you can't just PRESUME that lots of PV owners are selling off REC's. We recoup our costs via lower / extinguished electric bills.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    He did say 'lots'.

I don't see the point though. REC or not, PV is clean generated electricity. Where it is used is completely besides the point and suffers from the same logical fallacy as the PV owner who then buys an EV and thinks s/he had made a sound environmental decision.

17. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What's a REC? In California some companies are pushing to pay customers only 1-2 cents/solar kilowatthour. So you give them cheap clean energy & they sell fossil fuel energy back to you at 15 cents.
    True..... however by choosing to support a solar-power company, you give them more profit & they can invest it in more solar power. Then maybe someday the neighbor will check "solar power" on his energy choice bill.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Renewable energy credit.
    I'll presume you can google 'Renewable energy credit' for further enlightenment.

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks. Rather than spend money on solar panels I'd rather spend the money on a Passive House which doesn't need heating or cooling electricity. Just lights, TVs, and other lowpower items. Getting energy use as close to zero as possible is the ultimate goal. My great-grandparents had no electricity at all & survived just fine (self-sufficient).

Guess I won't be buying a 45 mpg Fiesta any time soon (since they no longer exist). Maybe the 43mpg version, or a 44mpg Mitsubishi. (sigh) You'd think by now someone would make a 50 mpg car (highway). It can't be that difficult.

Let me google that for you

#99 Troy Heagy, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014