1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Ford scrappage (EU-style cash for clunkers)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 25, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I typically don't follow the EU market but this one caught my eye because the effect sounds like our old 'cash for clunkers' program many years ago.

Source: British Car Owners Getting Cash to Scrap Old Vehicles | TheDetroitBureau.com

Ford Motor Co. said this week it will offer to pay drivers as much as $5,200 for cars and even more for older if they replace their older vehicles. The program is applicable to any pre-Euro 5 vehicle registered by Dec. 31, 2009.

The scheme will enable eligible consumers to benefit from a scrappage incentive of between £2,000 and £7,0001 on a variety of Ford models, including the new high-tech Fiesta and Transit Custom, Britain’s most popular car and van respectively, Ford noted in its announcement.

“Ford shares society’s concerns over air quality,” said Andy Barratt, chairman and managing director of Ford of Britain. “Removing generations of the most polluting vehicles will have the most immediate positive effect on air quality, and this Ford scrappage scheme aims to do just that.

“We don’t believe incentivizing sales of new cars goes far enough and we will ensure that all trade-in vehicles are scrapped. Acting together we can take hundreds of thousands of the dirtiest cars off our roads and out of our cities,” he added.

BMW, Vauxhall, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen already have major efforts underway to entice buyers into scrapping older vehicles.

I've seen references to such programs in the past but nothing unified. So perhaps some of our EU members (anyone actually) may have more details about these programs.

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some discussion here, Ford scrappage scheme. - Fuelly Forums

Sounds like there were government scrappage programs there back when we had cash for clunkers. The current ones seem to be just marketing incentives at this point.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I recall the original EU cash-4-clunkers program just mandated purchase of a new vehicle. The USA version required purchase of a higher MPG vehicle. The problem I had with the USA method was it ruled out a Sienna for me (19 MPG) and forced me to a Routan (Dodge Caravan at 20 MPG EPA). But in truth the Caravan is probably less MPG than a Sienna.

#3 wjtracy, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At the time, my 1996 Camry was 1 MPG too efficient to qualify :(

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The vehicles I was driving were all too old

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like a win/win. Great for everyone except the competition!

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not so sure. The last time this was done in the UK, a great many perfectly serviceable cars were "scrapped", that were relatively reliable and still had as many as 8 to 10 years of life left in them.

Their being scrapped, robbed the 2nd hand car market of a significant number of desirable vehicles, small local garages of profit from service work on said scrapped vehicles, and the real looser was the little man struggling to eke a living.

All those scrappage cars erroneously described as "clunkers" (they really weren't) ended up rusting in fields (before being presumably broken up), never by law to be driven again.

I see this largely as a scam, especially in the UK where a disproportionately large number of prospective motorists CANNOT afford a brand new vehicle and DO NOT want to take out bank loans to get one.

Lastly, if UK Prii were shoehorned into those scrappage schemes in the past, many Prius owners would have never had the chance to purchase one 2nd hand.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think ford can 'mandate' anything, it's just a sales pitch. it's a consumer choice between fresh air or profit.
    admittedly, i don't know the downside of cars rusting in fields.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The US program had the same criticism.

Now, if the goal is to reduce pollution from personal transport, getting old cars off the road is an easy step. They simply pollute more than newer models, and the amounts can be large in proportion to their numbers on the road.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I get the impression this is relatively new effort: "Diesel scrappage scheme aims to tackle pollution" George Parker, Financial Times, April 16, 2017.

Subsidy of £1,000-£2,000 per vehicle under consideration to help boost air quality. Theresa May has ordered officials to work up plans for a scrappage scheme for diesel cars, as part of a government clean air strategy due to be published this month.

Apparently the EU urban pollution problem has been a growing problem and this is an early effort to reduce the NOx pollution. At this point, it is too early to see any measurable results.

Another interesting data point: Emissions of air pollutants from transport — European Environment Agency
    [​IMG]

So even during the VW/Audi diesel cheat, they were seeing a reduction in transportation air pollution. Just it wasn't as fast as it might have been. The non-cheating vehicles carried the load.

Bob Wilson

#10 bwilson4web, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017