1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford to Build Hybrids in Canada by 2010

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford to Build Hybrids in Canada by 2010
    15 February 2006
    Ford of Canada is on track to become the first automaker to bring hybrid vehicle production to Canada when the Oakville Assembly Complex (OAC) adds hybrid versions of the all-new Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX to its assembly line by 2010.

In preparation, Ford is investing C$1 billion (US$864 million) in OAC to convert it to flexible manufacturing allowing the assembly of multiple models on unique architectures.

Production of the conventional 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) begins later this year. Specific product details for the Canadian-made hybrid versions will be revealed closer to launch.

Our employees are ready to lead as innovators. Hybrid vehicle production joins a list of innovations at Oakville that include flexible manufacturing, on-site research and development and an initiative to convert paint fumes to clean electricity.—OAC plant manager Frank Gourneau

The provinces of British Columbia, Ontario and Prince Edward Island currently offer C$1,000-C$3,000 hybrid consumer tax incentives. Ford of Canada is encouraging other provinces and the federal government to follow suit and provide similar hybrid consumer tax incentives for all Canadians.

Ford Motor Company is planning to introduce hybrid versions of the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego, and the Canadian-made Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX to make a total of nine models available as full hybrids (offering stop/start and regenerative braking; electric motor assistance; full limited electric drive).

Today’s Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner (US only) hybrids will be joined by a Mazda Tribute Hybrid in 2007 and the Ford Fusion Hybrid and Mercury Milan Hybrid in 2008. Overall, Ford Motor Company plans to sell 250,000 hybrids a year globally by 2010.

Source: GreenCarCongress

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I suppose this is good news, but I'm puzzled at how Ford is taking their sweet time getting some more decent hybrids out...

For 2005, they introduced the Escape hybrid. For 2006, the Mariner... and for 2007, the Mazda Tribute. Is it just me, or are all three of these vehicles nigh identical, based on the same platform, but with a few cosmetic and trim level changes?

Why does it take them 3 years to introduce three vehicles that are basically the same with respect to their drivetrains?

And the Fusion hybrid, which could have been a market leader if they played their cards right... now is set for 2008 instead of being launched with conventional Fusion. Will it be competition to the Camry hybrid? We'll see, but having it come a year late is a handicap...

I just wonder what Ford is doing sometime. What's the holdup with all their hybrid technology? Is it purely a supply problem?

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they're are all the same car with different bodies.

No idea but we'll see if it's worth the wait. It'll compete with the Camry Hybrid and I wouldn't be surprised if it'll use the same 2.3 litre engine and hybrid system from the Escape. But then again, they could have something else up their sleeve.

4. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Yeah. They've been spending a lot of time spinning the Escape into different vehicles...

You're right. They could very much use the same 2.3L engine and transmission from the Escape, but put it into a mid-size Fusion. All of that technology already exists in their hands, and all it takes is for them to do something about it. The more i think about it, the more it seems to me that they simply don't have the capacity to make hybrids in any large numbers. That's why they chose to make the Escape and its clones first... low hanging fruit that don't sell as much as mid-size cars.

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They've said that the Fusion will be their '2nd generation' hybrid drivetrain. I don't know what improvements that will entail tho.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ooooh. Looking forward to that.