1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford to Market Giant, Hummer Dwarfing Pickup

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tempus, Sep 13, 2004.

1. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quote of the week

2. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

I'm Thinking this is even more uslees than a hummer, it doesn't come with a tow hitch (Wth, a vehicle this large, advertised to tow stuff as well as being Gi-normus, a tow hitch should be standard)

It can only fit ONE ATV in the bed, I'm sure I saw a smaller ford or GM pickup with two ATVs in the bed and two in tow, ( a feat this vehicle wouldn't be capible of even with the optional tow hitch)

You killed a few cows to make seats for this peice of crap, I'd much rather the hide of my last hamburger go towards making leather for my future Prius than for some man's jock supplement (or are they marketing this to women, the way they did the H2? [but stangely enough not the H1])

What class is this, like the Prius, it pretty much defines the class Super monster pick'em up > Mid-sized Hybrid hatchback, and Compact sedan hybrid.

The worst they expect you to come accross, with that beefy suspension is a pothole :cussing:

option in both this and the prius, guess which one it needs to be standard in (not would be nice if it was standard)

Wth?

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That would put it over the 26,000 pound limit and thus require a CDL.

I like the part about: Wide track front axles and excellent ground clearance making it more maneuverable than standard pickups, especially off-road. Yep, sink that 15 ton monster right to its frame. Maneuver THAT!

You know, I just can't image some construction crew getting all muddy and covered in cement or asphalt then hopping into the leather cab.

Does it come with a folding ladder to climb into the bed to put your grocery bags down for the ride home? And how big a tax break do you get when you buy this 'commercial' vehicle?

4. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

in that case they should post a warning saying that if you wish to tow stuff you will need a CDL, I didn't see that in any of the fine-print

5. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Silly me for thinking that Detroit would stop at making totally ludicrous vehicles with that stinkin' hummer. :cussing:
    I guess Ford felt they had to offset the green effects of developing and marketing the Ford Escape Hybrid. When will they ever learn!

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been looking around but can't find hard evidence that Ford owns Navistar. I'm guessing that they do because of the title of this thread.

I know that I do not have to point out the irony of Ford - or a Ford subsidiary - manufacturing this thing given the other stuff Ford has done, allegated, and said over the past year.

7. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I'm sorry, but is this suppose to be some sort of super-early April Fools joke by CNN? This looks like something engineers would come up with if they were asked to design "the most useless, dangerous, inefficient vehicle possible, while making sure at least SOMEONE would buy one."

Have you guys seen that car commercial where everyone in town is driving a steamroller? Apparently someone saw it and thought that driving steamrollers is an AWESOME idea.

Of course, this could be a brilliant idea. After this contraption, Congress and environmentalists will be begging Ford to go back to just making those tiny, sensible Excursions.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's not just CNN, Sun.
    I originally saw this in Monday's USA Today newspaper. And you can go to www.navistar.com and download the brochure and tech specs. If it's a hoax, it's very VERY elaborate.

And yes, I too thought of the steamroller and larnd mover commercial when I saw this beast. How funny is that?! It's a great commercial that makes two great comments at the same time.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i do not know, as scary as this is, this is more like halloween...

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First, Ford is not going to sell this thing. Navistar is. Ford and Navistar have agreements to build the diesel engine that is used in the 3/4 ton and up F series trucks. Ford itself, has no controlling interest in Navistar. The truck will be sold under the International banner. Starting price will be $39,000. Ford actually already sells a similar truck. They are labelled the F450 through F650, dpending on the work application being spec'd for.

People are getting too worked up over this truck, to realize what it's intended market is. Right now, DC through Freightliner offers a sub CDL level version of their medium duty trucks called the "business class M2." These are a huge success with the larger private businesses, who use them to haul those huge private horse trailers, and other such similar applications, that cannot be pulled behind a 1 ton truck. GM offers something similar with their Kodiak and Top Kick models of medium duty trucks - complete with the same pickup bed in their case. Navistar is simply getting into that area of competition. They don't "offer" a tow hitch simply because their customers are going to be installing their own hitch, designed for the load they are going to haul. You won't have to worry about your neighbours flocking to the commercial truck dealership to bring one of these mammoths home. It will simply be too difficult for the average driver to operate, and they would be instantly turned off by the quirks of driving a truck like this.

Personally, I have no problem with this truck. The roads are not going to be filled with these things lumbering all over the highways.

The 25,999 pound "tow rating" has nothing to do with the weight of the truck. This is the maximum CGVWR of the truck, trailer, and cargo, before one has to apply for a CDL to drive it.

11. jchu

jchu New Member

Wolfman,

I was wondering about that. It just seemed targeted to a different market than the Hummer H2 pretender. A much smaller audience who truely need the payload and horse power. not a wannabe.

12. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

There was a snippet on the local NBC affiliate here in town. It listed the Beast as having a starting price of 39K. Apparantly, it's going to be somewhere in Garland.

13. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Thx for the corrections Wolfman (I guess I misread the article, attributing the truck to Ford). I'm still a bit surprised that its equipped with a DVD player... those things are a bad, bad idea in any car or truck. I'd be amazed if anyone who drove one of these things would want one.

Its cool if someone's actually using this thing to haul horse trailers or tons of equipment. Of course, if I see a soccer mom at the grocery store with one of these things... my opinion of it will change again.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    $39,000??

the article said $110-120k....

oh well, close enough for me i guess.

15. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Update on the news story. They did list the correct price of 110K. It was on the 9:00 news on Fox here in DFW with video of it driving around Dallas. It is truly frightening. The anchor went out of his way to state "And anyone with a license can get it!".

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hbolter\";p=\"39118)</div>
    "I'm Huge!!! HUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE!!!!

(Well.... not really.)"
    [hr:703cb5c2d2]
    Actually, it makes me think of the old 40s cartoon cliche of a woman standing on a chair, shrieking "Eeeekkk! Mice!!!!"

Because, way up in that cab, no one can get you.... (Eeeek!)

17. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ROFLOL, Bookrats!!

Dang how I dislike that truck-thing; it inspires the same feeling I get when I look at H2's. Blaaaahhhhh..... ---> :sick: and :Wth: <---

18. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

19. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"39865)</div>
    NBC 5 was quoting a starting price of $39K when the news first broke on the IH truck. Navistar's website is quoting a range between $68K to over $110K, depending on how the vehicle is equipped, and Navistar will build to order. On the website, they are pushing it as a high end commercial contractors truck.

As a person who still possesses his CDL, I'd have fun playing with this thing for a few days. Beyond that there is no use that I could possibly fathom at current for such a truck.

Now, if I were to get back into driving, and decide to pull hotshot loads................ Yeah, I'd be interested. :mrgreen:

20. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Disssgusting! I'll bet this will be a huuuge hit with the down south good ole boys!