1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Ford Transit plug-in hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Sep 9, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Ford Transit Custom PHEV Being Tested By Fleets In London

[​IMG]
    The Ford Transit Custom PHEV uses an advanced pure series hybrid system offering 50 kilometers (31 miles) of battery-only range. A 1.0-liter EcoBoost gasoline engine is coupled with an electric motor for a total range of 500 km (310 miles).
    Perfect replacement for our BMW i3-REx ... same architecture. Just the thing to make into an RV.

Bob Wilson

RCO, VFerdman and iplug like this.
  2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We await your owner's review!

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I own a Transit Connect equipped as a small RV. My small refrigerator and microwave are marginal for the conventional battery system, but would be perfect with HV battery capacity. Add running the A/C while camped or even just parked. As a work vehicle, the HV battery would allow use of power tools that currently require a separate generator set.

The performance of the conventional Transit Connect is pitiful at 10,000 feet. I got to that altitude in Colorado, and just had to turn around and go back down. The electric drive doesn't care about altitude, so I wouldn't have had to turn around so soon. Granted the 1.0 EcoBoost engine would be even more pitiful once the HV battery is empty. But stopping to recharge it would restore normal power.

Clean air is great, but the added electric power for accessories is a functional extension.

RCO likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The BMW i3-REx has a 0.6L engine and it runs in parallel called "charge sustainment" mode (manually initiated.) At the current time, it produces enough power to sustain 70 mph with the battery handling grades and bursts as needed. FYI, the power limitation is the generator electronics.

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is this on the agenda for the U.S. ?

6. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seeing as this is the Transit Custom, which isn't available in the US (it's a van meant to fill the niche between the Transit Connect and the FWD full-size Transit that was opened up by the full-size Transit getting bigger for the US market), I'm gonna say no.