1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ford VP: "You can't sell a hybrid in today's market"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Sep 19, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure I can agree with those statements. Surely things have changed drastically in the past decade, and I would expect near to as much change from where we are today within the upcoming decade.

But when I was researching Prius, I found a great sea and depth of information....valid and invalid.

Like sands falling through an hourglass I think the balance is changing...but sadly I'd still have to say there is a great deal of misconception and misinformation still out in consumer end of the automotive world.

I found this site and others with a wealth of valid information. I discovered strangers in gas stations and parking lots that owned Prius that shared reality based truths about Hybrid Ownership. Unfortunately, I also found many long time friends and aquaintences that when I mentioned "Prius" immediately graced me with the wisdom of all the usual misconceptions that have exist for over a decade.

I'm not saying you haven't witnessed a great movement in total population of Prius ownership, technological advancement, and ultimate mainstreaming....but I'd warn outside of Prius Chat and other Hybrid, Alternative circles...the misconception is still a great albeit fading majority.

I'd also say, I'm personally not 100% convinced automakers realize the days of the traditional gas guzzler are numbered. I can only muster a "maybe" or they should be...

Outside of Toyota, Honda, with the Leaf maybe Nissan, I still think the majority of Automakers are more concerned with establishing "Green Cred" in whatever form possible than the reality of producing and selling hybrids. This is changing too, but slowly....

Latest autoshow I attended I saw Prius, Insight...and a whole lot of automakers with rather "Traditional Gas Guzzlers" ...they liked to attach labels to their engines like "Green Tech Engine" or some other economic, we love the enviroment, it's really efficient sounding label...but for the most part the changes were superficial at best.

Before I can get onboard with the idea that automakers realize gas guzzlers days are numbered, they'll have to show me a greater commitment and more tangible products. The field is widening, but it's still realitivly rarified and while I think a lot of automakers are catching on to the marketing idea that being green sells....I don't really see them selling a lot of green products.

I find it interesting that Jim Farley, who is being quoted as saying you can't sell a hybrid in todays market, is also the man who at Ford is credited with championing bringing the Ford Fiesta to North America. The Ford Fiesta which is at least inpart being sold on a platform of being economical and fuel efficient..."green" if not Hybrid.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ALRIGHT!!
    Yet another opportunity for me to pull out this nugget from the land of long-long ago.

From January, 2004: GM: Hybrid compacts don't make economic, environmental sense - Jan. 6, 2004
    (bold mine)

2 people like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ah, the Land of Long Ago ~ my favorite tourist stop
    :p
    When it comes to re-loading my supply of arrows to battle for hybrids ... no one keeps the quiver more full than the prior statements of Lutz and his ilk.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with the VP that Ford is having a tough time selling hybrids. The fact of the matter is that he is also having a tough time selling conventional cars. Everyone is having problems moving inventory which is why cars are selling close to invoice or under. Unemployed people don't buy cars. Financial institutions don't write auto loans to the unemployed. IMO there is still a lot of excess manufacturing capacity in the industry and everyone is going to reduce production in the 2011 MY.

5. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That VP is right on the money. No market for hybrids at $2.50 gas.

Clearly, the pols in Washington need to get their tails in gear about a sensible energy policy that makes carbon emissions expensive. But they don't have the guts. And our children and grandchildren will suffer because of it.

P.S. I had a good laugh with the owner of the gas station I go to this morning. I told him that he'll never get rich with the likes of me--getting 53 mpg.

Folks driving those big tanks around town getting 10-15 mpg are paying through the nose even at $2.50 gallon. $200 a month for normal driving. Just think of all that dough going out of the country. Americans consume twice the amount of energy per capita than anybody else. A bunch of energy pigs.

Sometimes, I think what this country needs is a good old-fashioned depression. That might wake a few people up.

7. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I tthought Ford was doing fairly well. Consumer Reports seems to like the lineup, and I think the Hybrid Fusion has done fairly well.

GM, on the other hand, seems much happier with large, performance cars. Have you seen the Cadillac add that is currently airing? Nothing to make the viewer think they are interested in the environment, or fuel efficiency.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You've got it backwards.

Because automakers know the days are numbered, they're going to do exactly the opposite in the meantime. They'll milk the final opportunity for all it's worth first.

Remember all the "1010", "321", "888" long-distance phone numbers? That was the phone industry's final fling, well aware of the reality that all domestic calls would soon be considered local. Their gravy-train was about to vanish, and they knew it.

With vehicles, it's a matter of taking responsibility for emissions & efficiency. That can only be delayed for so long. Getting onboard is inevitable. Consumers already know that boat is sinking. They've witnessed $4 gas already. They've witnessed the effects of smog. They've witnessed lots about the problems with getting oil. And of course, Prius has demonstrated that hybrids are realistic.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I agree they will milk the final opportunity for all it's worth. I'm just not convinced most of them know or think it is the final opportunity. If they did, you'd see more real commitment. It's coming but not at a rate that makes me think the majority of the auto industry "get it" yet.

I also think change is inevitable.

I agree with you, but I'm not quite as optimistic. I think Prius Owners, Hybrid Owners and those championing electrics and alternatives..."get it", I'm still not convinced that consumers as a whole get it- yet.

10. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's Prius envy! If other automakers could produce a hybrid that matched or beat the Prius in efficiency and price, they'd be crowing about it every other commercial! Since they can't, it's "Hybrids, whatever!"

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those people driving around those land barges aka monstrosity class SUVs don't care or don't think about the $ flowing out of the country. Many don't realize facts like us importing ~60% of our oil, consuming about 1/4 of the world's daily oil production while only having 3% of the world's population, us having puny oil reserves, etc.

They're waiting for the government to do something like raise fuel economy standards or lower gas prices for them. :rolleyes: They don't need to wait for the government to do anything when there are have been more sensible, efficient and economical choices available to them for ages.

I don't think a depression would help. We need oil price shooting well past $100/barrel, gas prices at $4+/gallon and rising and/or another oil crisis (oil embargo, major supply disruption, etc.) to get people to wake up again.

I work for a technology company w/a lot of smart people and fortunately, not too many commute to work in monstrosity class SUVs. But, this morning, I saw a Hummer H2 pull in. :mad: I saw too many monstrosities running around this past weekend (including 2 or 3 Hummer H2s) and today.