1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forests of the World

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 24, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We are asked here first if we hug trees. If you do, you may be interested in general patterns of the world's forests. Inspired here by a 'treehugger' link that eaglesight333 posted in his ongoing series:

8 of the oldest forests in the world : TreeHugger

These are pleasant to look at, even though they draw attention to the fact that many 'old' forests have been re purposed since humans started to use wood and do agriculture in big ways.

Most forests are not like that - they have been trimmed in many ways and have smaller carbon stores both alive and dead. It is difficult to reconstruct what global forests looked like before Mr. Axe arrived but they have probably been reduced in extent by about one third. Pollen in lake sediments provide evidence. Harder still to determine how much dead wood there used to be, but it could be twice of what we see now, or even higher. Untouched forests (as in link above) provide evidence for that, but we really don't know if such survivors are representative of the whole thing in that distant past. But for global patterns:

Live tree weights are most closely linked with temperature. This makes sense because it can be too cold to grow. Obvious secondary factor is water - hot doesn't help if you can't get water up to the leaves for photosynthesis. Fun fact is that about 1000 water molecules exit stomates for each CO2 molecule that comes in. Talk about swimming upstream! The most water-thrifty plants are not trees at all, so we won't consider that here.

Dead wood and soil organic matter both show the opposite pattern. They both tend to hang around better at lower temperatures. Again this makes sense because decomposition is temperature dependent.

So, globally, live trees and dead stuff from them show opposite patterns. Dead wood is affected by both - supply and decomposition - and these process tend to balance out. So distributions of dead wood across all forest biomes are very similar.

You many have heard of Tunguska 1908, when a big chunk of Siberian forest got knocked down. A lot of that dead wood is still on the ground 100+ years later. Such could never occur in tropics because of much faster decomposition there.

When old forests are replaced by young ones, live growth can be much more rapid. But the dead stuff 'bleeds out' over time and would not recover unless the replacement forest is left to grow for a very long time.

Forests, especially at mid-to-high latitudes, are susceptible to fire. This puts upper limits on how much stuff can accumulate there, alive or dead. However, essentially everywhere that people have looked for charcoal in soils, they have found it. This leads to a new understanding that all forests burn, some just have much longer 'fire return cycles' than others.

Tropical forests have the most tree species. We don't even know how many. In contrast go to Finland and see only 4 tree species. Such patterns do influence carbon storage but even more how diversity of everything else in forests plays out.

By a restrictive definition of plantation forests (all trees there are planted and harvested on short rotations), they represent less than 7% of global forest. I an still surprised by that because it seems otherwise to a forest walker. Key there is probably accessibility - persistent forests just don't have roads.

==
    That's my opening salvo. If there is interest in this topic we can explore details.

Trollbait likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like trees, but that's as far as it goes. probably more the joyce kilmer type.:)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In 1973-74, I was stationed in Washington DC during one of the hot, muggy, 'bad air' days. I remember reading that the murky haze was in large part from tree transpiration. At that time I had to run +3 mi at least three times per week, Marine physical training, and my primary transportation was a 10-speed bicycle. Air quality was important. But I'd never lived in an area with proper trees and remembered the Appalachians were also called "The Smokies." It was the combination of raw exhaust, murk, and heat that made DC in the summer pretty unpleasant. Yet 30 miles away, Quantico was tolerable.

I grew up in Oklahoma where they have 'blackjack oak' that structurally looks more like a shrub on steroids. Branches are low with virtually no access to the trunk. There is no straight part longer than 12-18". I could never figure out what practical use it might have. Hind sight, probably just another invasive species after barbed wire sectioned the prairie.

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The blackjack oak is a native. It burns hot, so is attractive for heating cooking, and smoking.
    Quercus marilandica - Wikipedia
    If it is a shrub on steroids, then so are most spruces and over conifers. The evergreen part just makes it less obvious.

For shrub on steroids, I'd choose the live oak.
    [​IMG]
    It was strategically important to the young United States. The strength of its lumber is what gave the USS Constitution its Old Ironsides nickname. The Navy still owns tracks of the trees.
    Live oak - Wikipedia
    Quercus virginiana - Wikipedia

Zooming back out to the forest, fluid mosiac steady state is a term I'll never forget from my ecology class. It refers to how the areas of old and new growth in a forest are in a state of flux. A fire or disease outbreak will kill off one section of a forest. In the cleared out space, fast growing, sun loving trees, like cedar, will fill it in until the slower growing species that mark mature forest for the area cut of the light and starve them.

m.wynn and tochatihu like this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That is a lovely oak, Trollbait. I speculate that stem damage caused proliferation of stem wannabees, some of which were overtaken by gravity.

Among shortest trees are shinnery oak of Chihuahuan Desert, often shorter than a meter. Tallest trees, of two disjunct species, are substantially taller than next group down. It is a mystery, for which I have an hypothesis, which appears impossible to test over human timescales.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To be a shrub (or bush) and not a tree is somewhat vague. Multiple stems at or near ground level, and not too tall.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's their habit. Kind of like the Norway Maple in my yard. Both have a relatively short, but stout trunk that divides into those thick branches. In the maple, they grow more straight up. In those oaks, there are more and, they go more horizontal.
    Yeah, some targeted pruning, and shrub can become a tree.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have a dozen norway maples, and would have had more had we not kept pulling them out. they are illegal here now. very dirty, and no fall color.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Walnut trees have plant-unfriendly chemicals in their leaves that dissolve into throughfall. So you get a zone of death under their canopy. Trees inspire poetry and soaring thoughts, but they can be pretty sneaky.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and you don't want to breath the sawdust.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Pressure-treated lumber is worse, but yeah.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, pressure treated trees are illegal as well.

m.wynn likes this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well that's a head scratcher...

My thinking was that human exposure to PTL was much more than Juglans.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are an alien species to the US. Back in Europe they can live past 200 years. Here it's 60 with luck. The climate seems to be wetter than what they prefer, and the develop rotting cores.

I cut down one in our yard, and found earth worms 30ft up in the composting heartwood.

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3 of ours are around 60-65 years. the son of the original owner told us that he planted them, or transplanted, i forget. they are definitely on the tail end. the leaves are very healthy, when the don't have black spot, but there is definitely interior rot, as evidenced by a few 6" branches that have snapped off in medium winds.

the trunk of one is severely rotted at the base, but has developed new veins going through the damaged area, pretty amazing.
    i'm concerned about it falling on the house, and continually reduce that side of the tree. still, i'm nervous when high winds are predicted.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I started trimming the limbs off the remaining maple, and might get estimates this season from professionals. As is, it appears half alive when in leaf, and something always comes off in winds. Even have a widowmaker hung up in it. The carpenter ants don't help it.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very dirty, tons of seeds and small branches. i'm hoping they fail, so i can put up solar panels.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Robert Holt likes this.
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    blackjack oak@3. This species ramifies like crazy:

blackjack oak.png

An obscure relationship has been proposed about the sum of cross-sectional areas at any tree height or their cube roots. It is so obscure that I can't find it now, which is, well, obscure.

But I look at that blackjack and imagine grad student with a ladder measuring every little piece and cramming into a spreadsheet.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Forests of the world may have had an unusually large burn-down 12800 years ago. I am awaiting delivery of articles about it.

Seems strange that it would not have been noticed before because people have been digging up charcoal and measuring its 14C age for quite a while.

But the overall picture is (may be) that continental glaciers retreated, forests said "oh yeah" and then BAM.

Don't hug 'em until they stop smoldering.