1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forests of the World

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 24, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Jumping into data
    Pile-of-Leaves.jpg

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Plantation forests have not been widely compared to their unmanaged counterparts in terms of leaves/needles. But as you might guess they produce quite a bit more photosynthetic machinery. Both because species selected are racehorses and because they often get fertilizer and other assistance.

OTOH readers may be surprised that plantation forests cover <7% of global forest area. Siberia this top reason for that, but there are others also.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Simply based on the forestlands I typically see in western U.S. and Canada, I would have guessed much lower. While our second growth forests easily cover more than that fraction of our regional total, much of it was not artificially replanted, but regrew naturally, so shouldn't fall under the plantation label. Or are others using a different meaning?

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Seven % is UN FAO number. I understand that it requires people sticking baby trees into holes. If so, a lot of managed forests based on repeated thinning or coppicing would be excluded.

I and merry band of litterbugs (who will cook up global spatial estimates of leaf litterfall) may need to confront this in some way. But there are so many other issues to confront that it has not yet bubbled to the top. Right now we are discussing how to construct database that each individual study will drop their data into. We incorrectly saw this as ~trivial.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    When I think of Washington State forests I think of aerial views. Roadsides are wonderfully arbolic* but a few hundred meters back, heavily nipped.

*arbolic is not a word.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking also of hiking trail views, and the unimproved roads accessing many of them. Though this sample method also suffers selection bias. Who wants to hike through clearcuts? Who wants to propose or approve clearcuts across well known trails and pull out public opposition? And of course, numerous hiking trails are in federal Wilderness areas protected from harvest.

Growing up elsewhere in the forested Pacific Northwest, a middle school field trip included a stop at a place where grownups were actively sticking baby trees into holes in a recent clearcut. This was presented as a regular practice. But years later it was noticed that such replants were biased strongly towards visibility from the most heavily trafficked (but still unpaved) forest roads. Getting deeper into the forest on far lesser used roads, there were still very many past clearcuts, but the replants became surprisingly sparse.

Dad's farm-ranch is half forested, and logged multiple times. First logging was scattershot from initial white-people settlement up to about the Great War (WWI for the youngsters here). Second was early 1950s, cut heavily. Third was 1990s until about five years ago, very slowly and quite selectively over just the lower portion, with most of the very best sawlogs left to continue fattening for some future harvest, no clearcutting. Never was there any manual replanting of it, or of the neighboring logged plots. They all regrew by nature.

I'm not familiar with the practice of coppicing. But a quick search finds it being applied to tree species not present in my familiar places. Doing it to our trees, seems to kill them.

#126 fuzzy1, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019