1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

forget Prius--get a Geo Metro instead!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mercuryct, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mercuryct

mercuryct New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  2. Tweev

Tweev New Member

I think what they guy wrote is fair - a bit biting - maybe the numbers are a bit off but really I think the people who have done the math have determined that there are many many better choices over the Prius if your primary goal is to save money.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    amazing how many people are on my ignore list now.

:p

4. Tweev

Tweev New Member

I think this is the icon you were looking for:

[​IMG]

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Plus, there are a lot of people who just can't afford buying a $25K Prius, or any lesser priced new car.

BTW, my neighbor vouches for those Metro gas mileage numbers too.

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    please see my comments posted on the page linked....... some folks just don't get it....... who is that Bruce Waton guy anyway? I've never seen any of his stuff before.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The house special tonight is filet of Troll:
    You can have it roasted, broiled, or any flame prepared way of your choice. I prefer my Troll very, very well done. One step from charcoal.

Having driven a rental GEO Metro, it was as comfortable as two Honda 350s strapped to a metal container housing the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. Fortunately, I was a little hung over so the Metro was the perfect end to the trip.

Bob Wilson

8. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Geo Metro! Bah! Can you get 2 adults in the back seat comfortably? Can you put anything in the smallish hatch area? Safety features?

I purchased a 1988 Honda CRX-HF back in the day. I didn't even want to look at the Chevy Sprint (later to become the metro/Suzuki swift)....a 3 cyl engine did not interest me.

The CRX-HF was rated at 45 mpg City and 51 mpg highway, but was only a 2 seater.

I regularily got 50+ mpg in mixed driving on the original 10 speed tires (Pirelli P165 13"). Got 56 mpg driving UP to Lake Tahoe (and 58 mpg driving back down!). Upgraded the tires and my mileage went down about 5 mpg. Add in MTBE and a faster speed limit and it was down to 42 mpg on my 20 mile (mostly hwy) commute.

Still, I miss that car, had to part ways when our first child came along. I've waited for a 5 passenger car to come along that could match the mpg's, and guess what......the Prius can do it!

9. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Posted comment, may have gotten a little carried away :D Probably matched the articles tone though.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought a CRX the first year they were available in the U.S. Mine was the larger engine version with performance tires, but I still got great mileage. It was a wonderful little car, with the emphasis on little.

Tom

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nah, excellent response.

Once a week, I make a trip to the local Walmart Superstore cause they carry a breakfast food item for about 50% less than any other supermarket. I always make a point of parking next to a Geo Metro that is always in the same parking spot (I'm guessing an unfortunate Walmart employee, since it is there without fail). I'm always amazed to look at the two cars side by side and realize that my car gets better mileage than that little deathtrap.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whew! glad someone pointed out to me that used cars were cheaper than new ones. i wasn't capable of observing that on my own.

13. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Want to save money? Forget the $2000 Geo.

$80 @ WalMart.
    [​IMG]

$1920 buys a lot of gas.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    People just assume you buy the Prius to save money. They ain't cheap!

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    drove a few of the older versions along with the Chevy Sprint and others... they were cheaply made but did get great mileage. we had a few that got close to 50 mpg...but they started falling about at 50-60,000 miles. granted they were fleet cars, driven as hard as they could be driven, jackrabbit starts, etc... but they all fell apart.

now we felt it was the nature of the job (car parts delivery) but there was also one that was used primarily by the secretary (also the bosses' wife, etc) that was driven very conservatively and it also fell apart around 60,000 as well.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I used to drive a Geo Metro.
    two adults in back seat comfortably: check. I did that a few times with no complaints.
    storage area: More than I had in my larger Toyota Echo.
    safety features: Was rear-ended, minimal damage to car, no damage at all to me.

17. Ehash

Ehash New Member

I drove a Metro as well all thru college and beyond. I easily fit 5 adults, similar to Prius. I didn't drive conservatively (I was a 19 year old girl - I beat it up!) and mine lasted to 98,000 miles, at which time I rear-ended someone and totaled the poor thing. It held up well in the crash, protecting all occupants as well as any larger car would have. It was mechanically sound until I changed that with the wreck, and I have to say it was probably THE MOST reliable car I've ever owned! I thought the hatch storage was fine - fit two bikes back there with the seats folded down, and all my dorm junk with the seats up. And although in my early 20's (with gas at .99 a gallon) I didn't always feel the need to calculate my mileage, any time I DID check throughout the life of the car, I got 50+ mpg.

I love my Prius, but if I could have that car back as a second car, I'd take it in a second!

18. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did not know they sold foriegn cars in Michigan?

19. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You overpaid. I can buy a used bike at a garage sale in working order for around $20...or even $10 if I'm willing to ride around on a kids bike (think Geo Metro) that is all pink with white tires and assorted Barbie insignia.

How's that for savings? :cheer2:

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but rocket propulsion on a bicycle really isn't very efficient. Maybe you should think about using another type of fuel? :rolleyes: