1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

forgetting car on and walking away!!!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dusty, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pat, with an SKS system the car also beeps if it's READY and you open the door. The easiest way to positively confirm your car is off is to lock it when you get out. If you can lock it with the fob button or the SKS door handle black button, your car is off. If you're the type for both belt and suspenders, try opening the back door after you've locked it.

1 person likes this.
  2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So maybe the dealer could fit a strobe light in the car to alert a driver the system is in ready mode when the door is open. So with a strobe and a beeper now we have covered the deaf or blind driver but dumb ...

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With SKS there is a soft little beep when you exit the running car with the key, but the fireworks don't start until you try to lock it. When I investigated Fiona's protest more thoroughly, I could hear the little urgent beep, but the ambient noise of the hardware store parking lot next to the expressway prevented me from hearing her first gentle protest.

(After all, she IS a princess.) :drama:

4. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The bigger risk to you which is far above the small amount of fuel you might burn is that
    a) you can't lock the vehicle when it's running and you have the fob outside the vehicle, thus....
    b) anyone who knows how to drive the vehicle can just get into it and drive it away. Do Prius' have any value in today's market?

So............. I direct all my clients to remember this simple procedure
    PARK, POWER, OUT!
    PARK, POWER, OUT!
    PARK, POWER, OUT!

Put it in PARK, POWER off, get OUT!

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not only newbs. Last month after 30 months of driving I left it running in the parking lot all day while I was at work.

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is easy to do especially when you are in a hurry with too much going on in your head. If you don't want to spend unnecessary dollars for repair, do not forget to Power off your Prius. They just don't like being left on alone.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your princess may be quiet, but mine complains a bit more. I, too, have the SKS, and when I walk away while the car is in Ready mode, it will beep three times. There is no mistaking that you've done something wrong. In fact, I have a more difficult time hearing the single confirming beep than the three-beep "Don't-Leave-Me!" sound.

8. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1

although i admit, i did leave the car one once while having lunch with some friends, i guess i was just too hungry to realize
    when i got back to the car i was like OMG Wth!!!:eek:

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have SKS, so it's not an issue.

Yesterday, I met one of the kids at the chiropractor's office. When I went out to leave, I discovered he'd left the Buick running.

Um... huh?

10. captainjimbo

captainjimbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I look at the lights on the dash. If they are all "off" and the "Park" light goes on automatically, then I am confident the engine is off. Although the electric motor will still run for awhile afterwards as the engine shuts down. It is unnerving to walk away while I can still hear a humming, whining sound.

11. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rae, did your Prius turn into a Dalmation?

12. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, the airport guy left it running for a week, and Dusty runs out of gas during dinner ... How long were eating Dusty? :eek:

Had comparable confusions in my 1st few months --
    • Stomping on a phantom clutch pedal & trying to shift the little knoblet into gear.
    • Starting the car; hearing the ICE go on, then off; thinking it stalled out, so pressed the PWR button & brake to turn it back on ...
    I still sometimes forget to press "P" before shut-down ...

13. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heres a workaround:

Disable the SKS. Then it'll start beepin at you the instant you open the door with the keys in the slot :p

14. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That little motor you hear is the coolant pump filling the thermous with hot coolent for the next start-up.

This message comes to you from near St. Louis --- half way to Hybridfest. Mileage for this part of the trip: 48.7 mpg. Speed at speed limits, 75 in Oklahoma and 70 in Missouri.

15. Clar

Clar Member

Simply push POWER button when you are ready to leave. Forget 'bout the PARKING button. I push PARK only when i want the car to idle so i dont have to step on the brake. Otherwise, POWER on, POWER off