1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forgot to Replace Rear Brake Expander Clips

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Siward, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, my 2012 Prius has 61,000 miles and I started hearing some terrible squealing from my rear brakes. This weekend, I decided to take the tires off and investigate. Turns out, that my rear pads were worn to metal.

I switched the pads with new ones. The rotor was still new and didn't need replacing. Torqued the caliper bolt to 25ft/lb and put it back together. However at the end, I forgot to put back on the two wire clips take keep the brake pads apart!

Do I need to put these clips on? I'm too lazy to take my tires off again.

Lesson learned: Turn clockwise and PUSH the rear piston at the same time to get it to go back in. Turning it alone does nothing.

2. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you replace the pads on both rear wheels? Did you happen to re-lubricate the caliper pins while you had it apart? If not, you should take it all apart and re-do that part anyway (and put those expanding springs in there)!

The rear pins tend to dry out and this causes binding and excessive/uneven wear on the rear pads. I am still fighting this issue on my 2010. Look over the recent thread "frozen rear caliper" for some additional info (I just posted in it, so it should be near the top of the Maintenance forum).

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ditto!

Maintenance on the brakes for the Prius should be top priority. I plan on lubricating my pins every 25k so the caliber can move freely at all times. This will almost guarantee long wear life. Also, he mentioned the pads were worn to the metal, but his rotor was still new and didn't need replacing. Wouldn't the metal pad meshing to the rotor cause the noise? I will think the rotor should at least be turned. Just my two cents.

4. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am wondering if the sound was the wear tab rubbing (not the metal of the pad plates)?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would get the springs back on. Easy to forget, I just about did once. And as long as it's open yeah clean and lube pins. Silglyde is good. Are you being careful to align the inner pad pin to be between piston face spokes?

6. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I reopened the calipers this morning and put in the expander clips. Yep, I made sure the piston "X" was in the center.

I am still surprised that I needed change my rear brakes after 61,000 miles. I normally change brakes after 100,000 miles (160,000km).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now, tell us about the "Pin/Maintenance" .....;)

8. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the biggest reason for early rear brake wear is the pins binding up. If it weren't for that, I would expect the rear brakes easily go 100k+ miles.