1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forgot to turn off the ignition

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by calpal, Mar 21, 2009.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Rokeby is correct. Nice feature but sometimes irritates me when on rare occasion I want to lock the car in READY mode when I go into a store to avoid the engine startup when I get ready to drive away. Haven't figured out how to do that if its possible.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you are like me, you stand there and say "What the hell is it beeping about now?" and eventually walk away.

Tom

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Put the car in Park, set the brake, and use the mechanical key to lock the door. Great on really hot days - you can leave the A/C running while you're in the store. Gas consumption is trivial unless you spend the day in the store.

4. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's me exactly. It happened yesterday. But i am slowly learning. Yesterday i fairly quickly realized i had left the key on the passenger seat, was trying to go into a market and lock the car with the button. Long loud beep instead of two faint quick ones when locking. "Now What??" but it only took a few seconds to get it, while the first couple of times it happened, i was pretty distraught and planning a post to PriusChat in my head, to ask what is wrong with my car. The first time, i was in a hurry and needed to go into a store to get something and wanted to lock the car but no matter what i did it wouldn't lock and it was giving me three beeps each time i tried. This time it was because i hadn't turned the ignition off, whereas yesterday i had turned it off but just left the key in the car. I love this. My previous car, Accord, automatically locked and armed in 30 seconds which i loved and didn't know how i would live without it, but i love the Prius approach. The first couple of times i left the ignition on, unaware, i got into a whole power struggle with the Prius. When one approach to locking it didn't work, i kept trying other things, and finally resorted to the Fob. I didn't realize til i got back to the car that the ignition was still on. There is definitely a learning curve.

5. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm glad you posted this, as I had a question along these lines when I purchased my 2009 last week. What I wanted to know was "if SKS is active, the key is in my pocket, and I walk away from the car, can someone jump in and drive off, or will the car shut down if it is out of range of the key for too long?".

The salesman who sold me the car has been correct on many facts, which is better than many other saleman I've encountered over the years. But on this one he said that the car "would shut down after the key has been out of range for 10 minutes". Based on this thread, his comment seems incorrect.

So is it possible for someone to run away with your Prius if you have the SKS key fob in your pocket?? Or will the car miss you enough to shut itself down eventually?? Or will it not go into gear if the key fob is out of range???

Thanks

6. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, if you leave the car running it will still run until it's shut off even if the fob is taken away.

This has been discussed a lot here before. The reasoning is that if the battery to the key fob goes dead or it otherwise gets interfered with, you don't want the car to abruptly shut off while you're driving.

7. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks, Alan:

I've been reading so many posts the last few days that I got a little lazy. I should have done a search first.

The logic behind this functionality as you have explained it, makes sense to me.