1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forgot to turn Prius off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nikim, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Nikim

Nikim New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So last night my husband forgot to turn off his Prius. Face palm. First time this has happened. Only discovered it when looking for his keys this morning - it’s a 2005. Parked inside our 3 car attached garage. Door was closed. Our Carbon monoxide detector inside the house and near garage did not go off. Everyone seems fine - do I need to worry about any carbon exposure for us and kids? I do not know much about the Prius - it’s my husband’s car. He will now be more careful. Thank you

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's perfectly fine, the prius hardly runs the engine even when sitting on all night, so don't have to worry about carbon monoxide. Also its totally fine for the battery as well. No worries!

3. Nikim

Nikim New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you, Aaron....of course I was a mess this morning after googling about cars being left running all night and about ready to check us all into the nearest ER. My husband assured me since our house is not really old (1996) it was fine.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmmmm.......that's not really a good argument. Houses built last week can be CRAP when it comes to good craftsmanship and proper procedures.

BUT......if nothing was left ON inside the car, like the HVAC system, the gas engine likely didn't run but a few minutes all night long.
    No need to worry.

Note: There probably WAS an alarm that went off when he opened the door with it still ON. He should test that and pay attention to the bells and whistles in the future. :D

5. Frankemtp

Frankemtp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I lent my Prius 2016 to friend while I was out of the country. He parked it in my detached garage did not turn it off and it ran for 10 days. I had 1/4 tank of gas remaining and all was good. Just amazing!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prii93 and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are conscious and clear-headed enough to do online searches and post this query, haven't been vomiting or nauseous, and the family all has normal skin color, then you should be just fine.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

The Prius is really an advanced engineering marvel! There are many knowledgeable here who can assist with knowledge & dealing with "Prius addiction" :D

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lucy you, newer cars with catalytic converters turn carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide thanks to modern pollution standards and being a Prius it is even better. I'm not saying the system is perfect but if it was an old car you could be dead.

I found this to explain more.

How does the catalytic converter reduce the risks of CO poisoning? The typical catalytic converter found on most newer cars and trucks combines oxygen with carbon monoxide to form non-poisonous carbon dioxide (CO2) reducing the high concentrations in the exhaust manifold (typically 30,000 ppm or more) to low concentrations (typically below 1,000 ppm after the catalytic converter). Tailpipe concentrations of carbon monoxide in gasoline engines without catalytic converters are typically from 30,000 to over 100,000 ppm, depending on the condition of the engine.