1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forgot where O rings go on valve cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by flubsurfer, Feb 6, 2023.

1. flubsurfer

flubsurfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi yall,

I'm replacing my valve cover gasket and the new one comes with 5 (or 6?) new O-Rings in addition the valve cover gasket. I have an idea where two of the o rings are supposed to go (on the top of the valve cover) but I don't remember where the rest go.

Does anyone know?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual (more info) step for “Install Cylinder Head Cover” mentions two places where seal packing (Three Bond 1207B or equivalent, sold in the U.S. as Toyota part number 00295-00103) is to be applied, but it doesn’t mention any O rings. The parts catalog, in Figure 11-04, Cylinder Head, shows the two seal washers (11201B) and the oil filler cap gasket (12108A). Figure 11-03, Engine Overhaul Gasket Kit, shows most of the commonly-replaced seals and gaskets on the engine.

Photos of Toyota’s cylinder head cover gasket, 11213-21011, don’t show that it comes with anything else, but an aftermarket one might include other parts used only on other models or when also doing other work.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have no idea what your talking about as there is no separate o rings on the valve cover gasket.

I have replaced mine and the spark plug hole seals are connected to the main gasket. The only caveat to do anything extra on this gasket replacement install is use some gasket sealant where the timing chain cover meets the block. Put little dab there per the manual.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-engine-valve-cover-gasket-1121321011?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUmbD0xMiZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPXRveW90YSZvPXByaXVzJnk9MjAwNyZ0PWJhc2UmZT0xLTVsLWw0LWVsZWN0cmljLWdhcw%3D%3D

ANDRAS RIMELY likes this.