1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FormulaOne Nano Ceramic Window Tint Films

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by RadMarv, Apr 21, 2005.

1. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

whipstikk,

I hadn't even thought to look into the full company background of CPFilms. As you note they are a subsidiary of Solutia. It appears that Solutia has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which is designed to reorganize rather than dissolve the company. Solutia claimed it is overwhelmed by legal liabilities inherited from its former parent, Monsanto Co. The $675 million settlement, of which Solutia was responsible for $50 million, ended the cases of 20,000 Alabama residents who alleged their health and homes were ruined by contamination caused by Monsanto. Monsanto, maker of Roundup herbicide, said it could incur liabilities as a result of the Solutia bankruptcy filing, including retirement benefits, environmental clean up and legal costs.

Question is how will this affect CPFilms?

CPFilms, formerly Courtaulds Performance Films, has been in business for nearly half a century. As the inventors of the deep dyeing process for polyester films, we have led the window film industry for nearly 20 years. CPFilms has used its window film technology base to extend its product offerings into many complementary applications. We have operated as a subsidiary of Solutia Inc. since 1999.

Courtaulds is British... they bought Martin Processing, Gila (Insulfilm) and US Lamco in the late 80's, Akzo Nobel bought Courtaulds in 1998 and the descendents of Courtaulds ask that the window film company cease using the name Courtaulds Performance Films, then Akzo Nobel sold CPFilms to Solutia in May 1999.

Everyone recognizes the name Llumar. FormulaOne is mistaken for Formula1. FormulaOne brand from what I've found started somewhere around 1998. CPFilms seems to be a money maker for Solutis in the 2002 Securities info I've read. CPFilms makes at 4 different brands of Automotive tint films, Llumar, Gila, FormulaOne and UV Shield. I would believe that this company would still be around even if Solutia would go out of business totally it would be sold or reorganized under that dissolution.

Apparently HuperOptik USA was started in January of 2000 and the Overseas parent company in 1997.

Found a new invention... I wonder how long it will be before it's perfected and put into cars?
    http://www.glassresource.com/sneakpeek/sample4.htm

I agree that those folks on Tintdude.com are a weird bunch. I really find that there is an ongoing feud regarding CPFilms and HuperOptik folks.

I also noted the Llumar warranty card. I'll be checking with my installer on Monday as he has too do the headlight/fog light kit. I am suspecting that it's standard CPFilms warranty card.

I found another interesting note regarding windshield tinting and why it is discouraged. SAFETY!!!! Tint will not easily stretch or break until pierced. With the front glass laminate holding the glass together and not piercing the film, the film not breaking easily, it really would be like hitting a brick wall. Instead of the glass absorbing the impact. Other than state laws restricting windshield tinting most installers won't do the entire windshield due to the possibility of being sued.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. whipstikk

whipstikk New Member

I only need to point to USAIR to show what happens to a company when
    it is in financial difficulty.

Soo, it seems that you got LLumar instead of Formula-One ?

that sounds like bait and switch to me :guns:

One thing about the Huper, there is no mistaking that you have it.
    There are little Huper Optik logos on the protective liner. The samples
    i have are decorated with them.

After a little more research, i have found that hupers parent company,
    global matrix holdings, is back by the Govt of malaysia. Barring a Coup,
    I think they will be around for awhile. they also offer the V-kool line of spectrally selective films.

Who in America would have ever thought that Montgomery Ward or K-mart would be out of business? Face it , Like it or not, American jobs are being shipped overseas to produce domestically consumed goods cheaper.

4. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whipstikk\";p=\"88018)</div>
    Nope,

The installer's wife who works the office gave me the wrong warranty card. :oops: I did get FormulaOne Pinnacle series.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"87986)</div>
    So, in a choice between maybe being horribly disfigured beyond repair by going through the windshield, or dying by bouncing off it, I'm supposed to pick disfigured? Let me think a moment about that...

6. dpool

dpool New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck\";p=\"83047)</div>

I just had my 2005 Tideland Pearl #7 tinted with the Pinnacle 35 yesterday (not willing to go darker than legal)...just as yours was -- sides and back but not the lower panel under the hatch bar. The slight difference in the tint between the two rear panes (when viewed from the inside) is noticeable but nothing that's going to annoy me. However, the other thing I'm noticing in the rear view mirror is a lot of distortion around the rear window defroster lines. When I look out the side windows, at something close to right angles, it's obvious that this is a very good film that's as clear as can be. So it this distortion something that will "cur out" in the next few days? Or is it a product of the acute angle of view through the film when looking rearward, due to how gently the hatch glass slopes to the rear?

7. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"88059)</div>
    Nope, you're not allowed to pick! Your state law did that for you.

Hypothetical here...

An original owner has their front windshield fully tinted a state that allows only a 5 inch upper strip.

That person then sells the car after using it for many years. The new owner is in an accident where the airbags had deployed and was struck a second time by another vehicle and the passenger is sent into the windshield and is killed.

The coroner states the cause of death to the blunt force trauma of the head hitting the windshield. Now the lawyers and MD's take over and start making accusations that had the tinting not been on the windshield the windshield would have broken in the manner it was designed to enough to diffuse the injury to non lethal.

Question: WHO GETS SUED?

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"88110)</div>
    Anyone can be sued. The most likely to be found liable for damages for the wrongful death are the owner of the car who ordered the windshield tinting job and the shop that installed the film.

9. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"88113)</div>
    Anyone can be sued. The most likely to be found liable for damages for the wrongful death are the owner of the car who ordered the windshield tinting job and the shop that installed the film.
    [/b][/quote]

My point exactly! Thanks.

10. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The entity with the biggest bank account gets sued.

11. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"87913)</div>
    Titanium nitride is a ceramic, not a metal. That's like saying sodium chloride aka table salt is a metal b/c it contains a metal sodium ion. The Wikipedia definition for metal didn't really help me, but maybe it will do something for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"87986)</div>
    Is it really a safety issue? I mean, I intend to make sure both me and my passenger(s) are wearing seat belts, so will any of us even smash into the windshield? I think the seat belts and air bags would prevent that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"88110)</div>
    So what if the second impact was from the side, sending someone into one of the driver/passenger windows killing him/her? Can we sue the state at that point for allowing window tinting on those windows? This rationale for a law seems pretty ridiculous to me.

From reading DMV documents, it seems that no tint on a windshield is actually for visual clarity. What is odd to me is that wouldn't you want the same visual clarity for other windows, especially considering that you tend to take short glances out of non-windshield windows?

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We're getting SunTek carbon-dyed film installed on Thursday. It's not ceramic but it's non-metallic. I'll report back on how we like it when we have some time to drive around and experience it a little.

13. whipstikk

whipstikk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc\";p=\"110575)</div>
    Titanium nitride is a ceramic, not a metal. That's like saying sodium chloride aka table salt is a metal b/c it contains a metal sodium ion. The Wikipedia definition for metal didn't really help me, but maybe it will do something for you.

[/b][/quote]

I knew this all along :lol: , cant dispute science :mrgreen:

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant\";p=\"88302)</div>
    Everyone gets sued.

But the entity with the smallest bank account pays because they don't have enough money to hire the biggest lawyer and avoid paying.

15. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:0f8a0a10a9]So true, Godiva, so true! The big bucks tend to keep the big bucks, the rest of us make up the difference.[/font:0f8a0a10a9]