1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Forward-opening car doors; rearward opening -- curious

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Oct 3, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am battling bronchitis, so not doing much other than watching old movies.

Just saw a German film with old cars where the doors opened to the rear -- opposite of what seems to be the modern design with forward opening doors -- ie -- Prius.

upload_2017-10-3_10-29-4.jpeg

Since I am bored, anyone have any experience with this type of door? Advantages, disadvantages?

Any thoughts on why they fell out of favor?

Maybe because they block the view of hazards approaching you from the rear?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Traditionally know as "suicide doors" (for obvious reasons). I grew up in the UK (mid 1950s to 1970s). Our old Austin Ten had suicide-doors (mandatory seat-belts didn't become law until 1965, and if you've ever tried to open one of the front doors when driving at speed, the resulting laundry-experience could be quite enlightening! :eek::eek: More recent (modern) body designs (no chassis, monococque construction) could make the strength of the "A" pillars strong enough to support a door hinged at the front, and the suicide-doors fell out of fashion (…after many drivers & passengers fell out (literally)) ;)

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The things I learn here....seriously very interesting. THANK YOU!

I found this thanks to the term "suicide doors."

Suicide door - Wikipedia
    Not quite there, but the way my lungs feel this evening....maybe I need one of those cars@@@!!!

#3 cyberpriusII, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only car on sale today that I can think of that has suicide front doors is the Rolls Royce Wraith/Dawn (Wraith is the coupé, Dawn is the convertible)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun fact: The modern Rolls Royces have a built-in umbrella that pops in/out of the door on the passenger side.

WilDavis likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mine:
    [​IMG]
    The rear hinge means you can swing your legs out without having to avoid hitting the door.

Bob Wilson

WilDavis and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra with the extended cab. The rear doors open opposite but the front door on that side must be opened before the rear one can open.

WilDavis likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Side effect of the smoke?

Are you' all getting any relief from the fires?

Bob Wilson

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Also used on other extended cab trucks, the Honda Element, and Saturn Ion. Bob mentioned the plus in access to the rear seat.

As for true suicide doors, there was more risk in exiting from the car on street parking if a passing idiot clipped the open door. That could smash the door against someone getting out or in.

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A friend has a '34 Plymouth Coupe with the suicide doors, with all the technology today, they could make them safe from opening when car in motion. I vote to bring them back, lot easier to get in and out.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Almost all cars have front-opening hoods (bonnets for those who call trunks boots). With a little safety latch in almost all cases.

Vintage Toyota Land Cruiser did not; just a couple of spring hooks. I once forgot to latch them and had memorable experience at highway speed.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    About the illness did you get influenza vaccine? It is a moderately good bronco-buster.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my bronchitis is directly related to the person I sat next to on United Airlines flight 5051 from Ontario, Calif. to San Francisco a week or so ago. It was a cozy little Canadair Regional Jet CRJ-200 (twin-jet) and we were very up close and personal as he sneezed, coughed and blew his nose the whole flight. :sick:

I don't like getting flu shots, but I usually do -- not scared of them, just not that much of a believer. When I do get them, I get them in December. The disease here never seems to start until January.

Today, I am better, except for yakking up lots of gunk all morning long. I am thinking about going up on the roof this afternoon to make sure everything is set for winter's onset -- if my head is not swimming like it was yesterday. Going to be about 75 degrees F with a light east wind.

If I really feel up to it, need to trim a bunch of overhanging branches on the driveway, but since that entails using the hated pole saw and I think we are still in fire season, technically, I may have to postpone that work -- or wait until the weekend and hopes my husband does it. :ROFLMAO: (If we are still in fire season, I have to have a six-hour fire watch after I complete the work, which means I have to sit along the driveway with a shovel, a pulaski and a couple of fire extinguishers and a cell phone for SIX HOURS after I am done and watch for any ignitions. One of the joys of living in the Oregon backcountry.

As for fires we have had three good rainstorms in the past couple of weeks. Most of the smaller fires surrendered, but the big ones -- the one in the Columbia Gorge, along the historic Columbia River still is affecting traffic on Interstate 84 and is only about half-contained at about 50-thousand acres (78 square miles). It jumped the Columbia River several times and if any of you have ever seen the Columbia -- that's a feat.

The Chetco fire, which burned about 192,000 acres (300 square miles) is at 97 percent containment. It's near the Oregon Coast, so the recent damp and jump in humidity really helped put it down.

Lucky I am not working for the US Geological Survey anymore, considering how horrific the season was, they probably would have sent my crew and I off on wildfire duty.

I live in the Coast Range, about midway up the state, while the area has certainly had horrible fires -- just the fact of being in the coastal fog belt usually means fires don't rage -- the Tillamook Burn being the exception -- 350,000 acres (545 square miles).

[​IMG]

RCO, WilDavis, pilotgrrl and 2 others like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You made me look. A pulaski.

[​IMG]

14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, any kid who grew up in any "country" area of the western United States probably knows the pulaski.

The axe side is obviously used to cut wood, brush, but that seldom gets any use during fires. The "hoe" or grubbing side is the workhorse. It is used to manually build fire line (fire breaks). Quite fun with 10 or 15 people in a line, each swinging and grubbing.

To build a line, you have to grub out and scrape out all combustible plants, detritus, etc. down to bare mineral soil for a width of 12-30 feet depending on the terrain and fuel type. You are expected to construct about 800-1,000 feet per hour, if my memory is working today.

Hard work, but the secret is to use mostly your stomach and leg muscles. Newbies use their arms and shoulders and wearout quickly.

Of course, a John Deere is quicker, but lots of areas where the Deere "won't run" in the wilderness.

kris

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a few brewski's to go with the pulaski for the 6 hour watch.:cool:

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here in IT Networking, we call them "John Deere Cable locators". :eek:

#16 Prodigyplace, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    RCO, fuzzy1 and pilotgrrl like this.
  17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    November 1997, my chief electrician drops a fiberoptic cable on my desk and says "Was that yours?"

I check and the FDDI is in loopback. About that time the tire shop calls, the network is down.

We call Salt Lake to get the cable repaired and aim wireless at the tire shop from the truck shop. The windows have 'chickenwire' in them and will not transmit WiFi.

[​IMG]

We open maintenance doors and shoot wireless through a 27 by 27 door in each Building at -40 (C or F, your choice) We were not popular, but the fiber repair team was.

The backhoe operator had asked Technical Services if it was safe to dig there. They looked at all the cables in the ground and decided none of them would kill him, so it was 'safe'. The lab had no backup plan for their serial cables, so we used terminal emulators to get them back up and running.

The truck stops here

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  18. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I still laugh about when Charlie with the fiber-seeking backhoe took out client's network by accidentally cutting the ComEd power line.

In the server room: *whomp!* All the lights go out and the drives spin down. *whomp!* All the lights go on and the drives start spinning up. *whomp!* The lights go out for good and it's as quiet as a graveyard.

Client tested their diesel generator monthly, but never thought to check the fuel level. Main branch was closed for a week. Oops!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like it might be useful to deter sprayin' sneezin' passengers :eek::sneaky: (a bit difficult to get through TSA, though!) :(

RCO, cyberpriusII and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Casimir J Pulaski Day is March 5. It's a state holiday in Illinois.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.