1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

found 03 hv battery cells, should i get them

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by scotman27, Sep 11, 2013.

1. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ok, i just fixed my hv battery with the help of this forum(thank you all very much) look at the post "while I have my hv battery out of my gen 1".
    Yesterday, i came across a listing on ebay and the guy has a prius for sale and he mentioned he has 38 extra hv battery cells, so i asked. he has had them for a year. he believes they have less than 100k on them. they came from an 93 prius. he got them from a friend who thought he may need them but found out he didnt. he does not know how to check the voltage of each module and he is afraid to mess with them. i asked him what he wants for them he said $500.
    so what i want to know is, is this worth it or should i just hold tight, save my money for a rebuild using 3rd gen modules.

thank you,
    Scott

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would go with 3rd gen modules myself.

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    10 year old (or maybe even older?) cells ? I would say no.

- Alex

4. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    sorry edit: came from a 2003 prius not 93, bad typo

5. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    thats what i was thinking. 10 yrs old, sitting for a year and not knowing the voltages, im not sure about that. mine is the original at 164k. one bad cell. so with the help of bob(who sold me 3 cells) and a couple others on here, i was able to test what the possible capacity might be and i got 3 cells and replaced the bad one and two other potential weak ones. using my superbrain 977 i took one of my weak ones the other day and discharged it and recharged it. first charge revealed 1088mah was the capacity, discharge then second charge was at 2680mah but i fell asleep and woke up 3 hrs later and the charger had stopped and unfortunately does not hold the values because it does not automatcally cycle, i have to do that manually so i dont even know the total mah that was put back in. so im looking at another charger that will cycle and store the values even after it stops. im looking at the skyrc quattro b6 since it will do 4 at a time and does cycle. i may cycle my pack while its in the car but i gotta be able to do more than 1 at a time.

anyways, thank you for your feedback, its much appreciated.

scott