1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found a 2001 Prius for $500 187k, good buy?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by LikeAPrius, Feb 6, 2019.

1. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It has 187k miles and a dead battery. Previously I was interested in buying a 2008 with 440k miles but thankfully you guys talked me out of it.

This one in very good shape but its HV battery is dead. How much should I expect to pay for one?

Thanks

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2001-2003 = Buy if you're a collector or a tinkerer. Avoid otherwise
    2004+ = "The people's Prius".

I just helped a coworker buy a 2009 loaded with low miles for about $2.5k.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  3. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    wow was there anything wrong with it? I saw a 2007 with some 174k miles for $1800 but it had a lot of dents. It still drivable but idk if I decide to do some body work I am sure to spend a couple thousands dollars. It needs a new door as well.

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, can't believe I'm saying this but this good deal Prius is gonna cost a boatload of cash to fix. The mileage isn't particularly high and it probably has at least 100k miles left in it. But to do the battery right--go to Toyota and get an updated new HV battery is going to cost about $26 to $2800. More than likely, you will need a 12v battery, around $200. The inverter coolant pump probably will need replacing soon $1 to$2 hundred. Then tires, etc.

I have an 02, that I bought cheap, but it had 3 year old battery pack and a set of fairly new tires. If you search my posts, you'll see that I am one of the Gen 1 proponents. Nicest little car I've ever had.

The main problem is the battery buy in. If you invest the money in a battery, you are committed to fixing whatever getting it started reveals. Better to take the $3 or $4 grand as a downpayment on a much newer Prius.

greasemonkey007 and WHCSC like this.
  5. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well I haven’t inspected the vehicle at all. According to the owner the vehicle ran great until its battery died and it’s not worth it for them to replace it because of its cost. But if the battery is all it needs it could be a good deal.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Battery will cost $2,500 - $3,000.
    So add that into the cost.

It may not seem like that good of a deal once you consider that.
    You will likely have to do some other tinkering.

Gen 2 Prius is a bit better with more support, but if you are tenacious you should be able to deal with the Gen 1.

Realistically though, if you like other aspects of the Gen 1 Prius, you may want to consider a Toyota Echo of that era.
    Should be similar or less cost to buy, get similar gas mileage, and you won't have any expensive hybrid components to replace.

LikeAPrius likes this.
  7. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is there a use Prius buying guide out there? I don’t want to keep making threads whenever I come across a new Prius.

Litehold likes this.
  8. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like Brian am also a gen 1 proponent but agree that it is going to cost to get it up and running

But to address your original question here in the San Francisco bay area there are a lot of gen 1s on the road - so $500 for one in really good condition that needs a battery is a reasonable, but not exceptional price - if you are sold on having a gen 1 and willing to tinker then might be a good starting point - I paid more for a running 2002 that the hybrid battery went out on 6 months later and decided to go ahead and put a new battery from Toyota in it (approximetely 2500 installed) because I like the gen 1 better than the gen 2 (I can't afford a newer one) - but I have more invested than the car is worth (see my other posts for all the things I have done to it so far) and have become more of a collector in some ways

Your call

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here are some pictures of the 2001 Prius

It looks its in really good shape, if I get it running I could sell it for at least 3k

Attached Files:

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Selling it for $3k is unlikely. You can buy 8 year newer Gen-2's for less than that now. And very few people want a Gen-1. They are essentially an Echo Hybrid. They served a great purpose before the spaceship arrived, but they are well past their prime.

I have a history for loving cars that nobody else loves, so if you like it. I get it. Go for it. But don't go into it thinking it is an investment or you can recoup money, or anything like that. If you buy it, you will most likely be the last owner before it gets crushed. Nobody else will love the car but you. Nobody will recognize it on the road.

11. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're thinking of fixing it and flipping it, you could get a remanufactured battery. We don't recommend them for owners that are gonna keep the cars, they all use old battery elements and have a severely limited life time. There are some remans around that use 2nd and 3rd gen battery cells the might be a good alternative. If you're thinking of fixing and keeping, you really need to get the Toyota replacement HV which is all new components.

They do look alot like an Echo. Having driven both, the Prius has a much more versatile power train. Better for the 2 lane highways and the mountain grades in the west where I live. I llike that they don't look so "Prius-ey"

12. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ah snap I read the odometer wrong it actually 98k miles on it

13. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have put parts in cars that I knew weren't worth the cost of the repairs. The way I justified it was I knew the history of the car and had a lifetime warranty on all the parts from Advance Auto. :)
    The only way you make out is if you keep the car long enough and it gives you good service then hindsight kicks in and then you will know if you made the right decision.
    Flipping cars for profit?

15. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am not gonna flip this it was just an idea

16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The seller mentioned above got back to me. His answer is:

You can buy this item for $680.00 ( 4 x $170.00 - 10% off ) excluding shipping until 12:00 am on February 09

Someone else could buy this item, so take advantage of it while you can.

Yes, I can send you 38 batteries.
    However, all batteries are individual.
    It is not a cell kit.
    And the price reduced by 10%.
    After purchasing 4 lot (40batteries) you will reconcile $ 34 ( 2batteries) before you pay.
    will shipping 38 batteries.
    38 battery will be $ 646.
    The postage is 62.50. (USPS Priority mail Flat Rate Box).

17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's right around the $20/module for random modules I estimate to recoup. Depends on how much work you want to put into it and how many times you want to rip the car apart over the next few years.

18. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think I am gonna do it. Should be an interesting project. The other 2007 Prius has good mileage and a clean google but man, it will need a lot of touches here and there to make it presentable.

19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Keep in mind every part on the Gen-2 is easily sourced (including battery) but for the Gen-1 you're into rare/odd car territory.

I've had to pay $400 for a leather shifter cover before on one of my more exotic vehicles just because nobody else makes them and they're super hard to find. If you can't find the part in a junkyard/eBay, you'll be paying out the nose.

20. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So uhmmm my uncle friend has a 2002 Prius. Dead engine and battery they’re willing to part it out. But I’ll see if I can get the entire thing free.

This is getting interesting.