1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found a 2001 Prius for $500 187k, good buy?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by LikeAPrius, Feb 6, 2019.

1. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is getting interesting - Car looks good - if you want to see what prices are for gen 1 Prius out here you can look at 2001 - 2003 Prius on craigslist San Francisco bay area - there are a number for sale now

I agree that flipping these cars for profit is not viable

About parts - I have not struggled finding parts yet but as I mentioned earlier there are lots of gen 1s around here but soon who knows as they are starting to show up at the local pick n pull - two weeks ago there were 6 in the Windsor pick n pull - I have been thinking of stock piling parts

What is harder is getting people to work on them if you don't want to DIY - local hybrid shops are interested in gen2+ - not our cars

LikeAPrius likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh my, someone thinking of buying a Gen1. Don't expect a whole lot of support when that thing fails.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen 2 is a much better project in many cases.
    Also better for resale.

That said trying to flip one and not be scummy about it (like replacing pack with random modules) is pretty difficult.

Fixing these properly can run a few thousand dollars.

4. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well how much would you guys pay for a Prius gen 2 with how many miles on it? Someone here said they helped their friends buy a gen 2 for 2500 which I find hard to believe

5. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am seeing a Prius with a salvage title. 2006 162k it’s problem is the 12k battery drains quickly and needs a jump starter

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I may, why are you looking for such a cheap Prius? Is this a project toy, lack of funds...or what? Respects, but this is important information if you want proper guidance on your purchase.

7. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You can call if a project I don’t mind tinkering around with it and apparently lots of 2001-2003 Prius in the pull it junk yards around here.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well if "you" call it just a project to tinker with, I would say you don't need our help. They go for cheap, will eat you budget and you get to play. A lot of us have "hobbies" that make no financial sense. However, if you are looking for a thrifty fix-er-upper strictly for "transportation"...I would reconsider and buy an older Corolla or Civic instead of a GEN I Prius.

#28 frodoz737, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  9. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Lots of people are recommending gen 2 so what’s a good mileage and price to pay for one?

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As little as you can.
    You can find one without a battery for $1,000 -$2,000 or so I suppose. (Less if you have your feelers out within your local Prius community)
    Add another $2,000 or so for a NEW Toyota battery.
    So for $3,000 you have a pretty solid base.
    Mileage will likely be between 125,000 - 225,000

If the pack has not been replaced in the high mileage Prii you are looking at, you need to figure that into the cost.

If someone causally says "the pack has been replaced" you need to start digging deeper for concrete answers.
    - Was the replacement pack NEW?
    - Was the replacement pack USED? (refurbished, rebalanced, cell replaced, module replaced, from a junkyard, etc... ALL MEAN USED!)
    - Ask to see a receipt showing the purchase of the battery pack
    Look up any dealer service history via ToyotaOwners.com website.

Of course you could skip the whole hybrid thing and just go with a similar mileage and priced Civic (NOT HYBRID VERSION!!), Corolla, Echo, Matrix, Fit, etc

LikeAPrius likes this.
  11. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ended up buying a new 2019 Prius LE just got hack from the dealer and also bought that 2001 Prius. Will keep you guys update on whatever progress I do with it.

Litehold likes this.
  12. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting twist - keep us posted on your progress with the 2001.

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Until it is up and running smoothly, having it as a secondary vehicle to tinker with will likely be much more fun than if you had to have it as primary car.

Brian in Tucson and frodoz737 like this.
  14. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I hauled the 2001 Prius home changed the 12v battery, checked the oils levels which were good, added some gas and the car turned on. It drives well. The only problem I visibly am seeing is the rear left tired. It’s looses air overnight. I can’t find any nails or holes or anything but aside from that I don’t know why it’s previous owner said the battery was dead. How do i checked for battery status on a 2001 Prius ?

Brian in Tucson and bisco like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tech stream for the hybrid battery, voltmeter for the 12 volt

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  16. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He's a noob, Bisco. You can get a miniVCI cable from Amazon or Ebay. Installl the software into an old laptop, mines is an old Dell with XP os, and hook up the cable between the computer and the OBD port under the steering wheel. The program will check the voltages of all the modules. It will work for a variety of things on other years Prius, and infact, other Toyota cars.

In the meantime, the battery level indicator on the dash will tell you a lot. Does the car charge it right up to the top? Does it go down really fast when driving the car? I guess I suggest "don't trouble trouble" and just go ahead and drive it. No check engine lights? The HV battery may be okay. Wonderful driving little cars, aren't they?

bisco likes this.
  17. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Which software is it?

The battery charges to the top and takes a while to discharge. It doesn’t lose levels quickly. I am almost tempted to take this to a 200 mile trip but I am gonna have a friend who is a mechanic take look at it and no engine lights.

I feel a problem is about to happen but so far nothing.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not allowed to say m--- v-- on priuschat :oops:

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you want my unsolicited opinion as a Mechanic...you might want to wait a while before risking that kind of trip with this unproven vehicle.

20. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well my cousin needs a car to go school. Her school is 13 mile far so 26 a day and she goes 4 times a week. I wanna lend it to her for the time being and see how it performs.

On a different note - I just saw a 2004 Prius with 170k miles. Clean titled but it’s battery has been replaced and I doubt its was new. They’re asking 2200 for it but it has a huge dent on the left side and windshield is cracked.