1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found a 2001 Prius for $500 187k, good buy?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by LikeAPrius, Feb 6, 2019.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have a brand new 2019...why are you still looking for beaters?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well at least now, you have a good vehicle....the 2019.....

and you can adopt as many projects as you can afford or want to approach.

It was a different outlook when it appeared the "beater" WAS going to be the daily driver.

3. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah I had a 1998 civic but after 587k miles it finally died. Was borrowing a friends car and also looking at offerup and Craigslist for a used car.

Then saw that 440k 2008 Prius, then saw a few more then I went to the dealer and got talked into buying a 2019 Prius which I am loving by the way.

2001 I got for around 750 or so including 12v battery and tow truck. And now I might be lending this to my cousin. As I mentioned earlier the car has 98k miles. The previous owner was quoted years ago 4000-5000 for a brand new battery so he felt he shouldn’t bothered with it anymore and left it inside one of his garage. I brought it hope did some checks up and added some gas and bam it works. I don’t know why he thought the Hv battery was dead or who told him it was but he didn’t seem interested in it at all. He has nothing but American cars so maybe that’s why. As far I can tell and it’s short period I am driving around my neighborhood the car seem solid. I would buy new tires for it and maybe some inside detailing. It’s pretty dirty but nothing a good afternoon spend won’t fix.

Now my idea was to tinker around a Prius so if I give this to my cousin there goes that project. I am still looking at used Prius and came across more.

Litehold likes this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might want to finish "tinkering" with the 2001 before you give it to your cousin. She is family.

Litehold likes this.
  5. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am not selling it to her but lending it she is well aware of any problems that might arise from it and if should something happened, in the time shes borrowing it would be her problem and she agreed. But it would only be for a few months thought, her birthday is coming up and her parents are buying her a brand new car for it

How much do 2005 prius doors go for?

6. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So update the 2005 Prius seller with 177k is willing to sell it for $1900, car runs and tags good until 2020 but it has a refub battery. You guys think I could something better?

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a bad price.
    You will have to deal with the battery pack at some point. So budget accordingly.
    Or if willing to buy equipment and do the work an can deal with uncertainty of the pack you can save a bit of money.
    Buy Techstream and minivci with an old do laptop. Especially if you will have a fleet of used Toyota hybrids.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes I was about that I see a lot of them on amazon. Any recommendations?

The 2005 I did a vin check at VINCheck® | National Insurance Crime Bureau and it came out clean but talking to my friend who works in a body shop says base on the body damage it would cost anywhere between 1500-3000 to fix the rear right side. I don’t know anymore. The engine is good and the seller has the refub receipts that was change just last year on November

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Body damage in that price range? Skip it.
    You can find other cars for that price if you keep your eyes open.

I'd check the cars at ToyotaOwners.com to see dealer service history.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  10. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am:

mini vci

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mods like you ;)

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeth they do!

13. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

I think I can get lower to $1500 though. And so far I haven’t found anything better than that. Everything has red triangles, dead batteries with 200k miles for 2000+

14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is a dead battery any better than a battery replaced with the cheapest option just for sale that will die in 6 months? I'd much rather buy a vehicle with a KNOWN dead battery and budget to replace it with a known solution of your choice and your timing.

15. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So you would pay $2000+ for a 2005 Prius with more than 200k miles and a dead battery? I am confused here

This places gives me so many confusing replies. In another thread I made I mentioned a 2007 Prius with extreme body damages but a decent miles and a good battery ( allegedly) for like $1800 and some of you said it was still a good deal because gen 2 parts are so cheap. Now that I find low mileage Prius that works but has some right rear body damage you’re telling me you can find something better for $1600?

Where do you all live where you can find these low mileage Priuses?

16. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would I pay $2k+ for a 2005 with 200k miles and a dead battery? NO. I just paid $2.5k for a 2009 fully loaded touring with about 120k miles and original battery with zero damage and a pristine interior and dealer serviced records. And by "just paid" I mean it is being driven across the country as I type this on its way from NJ to CO.

But if I found a 2005 with a dead battery and everything else looked like it was in great shape I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price was right.

Our collective must be malfunctioning...

Borgqueen_16.jpg

This is a forum with many thousands of active users, each with their own opinion. Welcome to the wonderful world of car enthusiasts.

If you're in the US, which your location says you are, you are free to travel anywhere in any of the states to purchase your vehicle. It can be shipped or driven back and you will pay local tax and registration. If you arbitrarily limit your search radius to some number of miles from where you are right now, then your not going to find the best deals. You may find an OK deal, but if your not willing to take a weekend and drive the car across the country, don't complain when you overpay by 2x what others can find.

I have always found that the best places to buy hybrids is in the tri-state area for what I am looking for. I have bought 3 hybrids there now, 2 Prii and a RX450h. Being so close to the city there is a demand for hybrids when new so there is a glut of them on the road in the area. Being one of the wealthier parts of the country in terms of income, cars get turned over quickly for something newer and they are usually loaded or nearly loaded models. Every hybrid I've bought from there is fully loaded and looks like a dealer show car with relatively low miles and excellent maintenance. Fly out, complete the purchase, and drive 28 hours back to Colorado straight. Easy peasy.

17. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The 2001 Prius was suppose to be my project to work with but that turned to be an easy fix and so far it’s running fine I am still thinking something is about to go wrong but my cousin just took it to the beach and back and it’s still driving good.

But I am still very skeptical about that deal you got for a 2009 Prius. If it helps in Oregon ( Hillsboro to be exact) I’ve expanded my search radius and still cannot find anything near of what you got.

My plan is to check the 2005 Prius and try to get to the bottom of that dent. It isn’t very deep but it’s noticeable.

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You still should buy some diagnostic equipment, so that you can check the health of the car now, as well as diagnose it when things go wrong. Get it now, rather than waiting.

I'd pay $500 for a car with a bad pack. Heck $200. And then I'd sell it to you for $1,000 or $1,500 :)
    People sometimes try to give me cars with bad motors for $100 but often I just don't have time for them, so I pass the deal onto others.

I personally would not want to deal with a smashed up car. Too many unknowns. Especially since there are lots of other non-smashed up cars. Do you have a small shop near you that specializes in hybrids? Go down there and schmooze the owner (with food/beer/treats, etc). He/she is likely to come across regularly that need some work. While they may keep the great deals for themselves, maybe they are willing to get you some crumbs?

19. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My theory is this

The owner hit something maybe the side of his garage and damaged the rear right side. Didn’t want to let insurance handle it because it would have given them a salvage titled. Until I visually inspect it I won’t know for sure.

So I am gonna offer them flat out $1100 anything more than this and I am out of this

20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why are you buying ANOTHER Prius? i wouldn't buy a car with more than incidental parking lot dents. You can have any sort of theory you like, maybe he did collect insurance and just decided to spend it instead of fixing the car. Wouldn't be the first time.

I read that you were giving (selling? loaning?) a relative the Gen 1? I don't make a practice of loaning or selling cars to relatives. It can be like lending money, the quickest way to hurt feelings and losing money. I'll do a short term loan of my pickup truck, but I hate being on the hook for liability claims and damage to my vehicle. Of the three, an outright gift is probably the best alternative--sign over the title and drop it from your insurance.

As for getting different stories from different people, welcome to the internet--where you can get alternative opinions that aren't necessarily wrong.