1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found a "Electric Supercharger"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Garron, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Garron

Garron New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the posts. I am currently getting around 45 (As much of my driving is city). The more I look into solutions, it seems like you just end up having more complications then are worth it. As said above, the turbo that was installed in the 1st gen was kept at about 5psi to avoid the ECU from complaining.
    This car is already smart as it is, Probably best not to mess with it to much ;)

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's good advice Garron. One mod solves one problem but causes another. You end up chasing new problems around. Many have tried to mod the Prius for better performance and some have been successful but overall, the engineers who designed it were very thorough. The only beef I have with it is they had to bias it to emissions first then efficiency second. The highest priority for the Prius is emissions not efficiency. Despite this, it still gets 45+mpgs. The best mod I've seen (bang for the buck) is ccdisce's ECT spoofer. It is minimally invasive, low cost and does indeed net results. You can read about it here if you want.
    A Prius ECT Spoofer MCU Controlled | PriusChat

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Grille blocking in winter does help MPG. Keeping the ICE warm helps the engine be fuel efficient.

I'd say electric superchargers might help naturally aspirated Otto cycle engines, but not for the Prius' Atkinson cycle ICE. I'm just learning myself about the Atkinson cycle engine that is used in the Prius, others on the website can explain better than I can. I've added a link at the bottom for more information:

The Atkinson cycle is much different from the typical Otto Cycle that is found in most internal combustion engine (ICE) cars today.

Read More:
    Atkinson vs. Otto Cycle | PriusChat

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, I've been away for a while. I agree with Jason, accept that I would say most not all. However, could someone explain why you would not use a belt driven supercharger, it seems more efficient to drive it directly, then to go throught the inefficent process of what is in effect a motor generator set driving a motor?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A Belt driven supercharger consumes HP so long as the engine is running. (unless clutched)
    An Electric supercharger may consume Watts (it will take HP to recharge the battery later) only when wanted.

vertex likes this.