1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found a guy selling his unused HOV Carpool Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dridler88, Apr 19, 2007.

1. dridler88

dridler88 New Member

I recently saw a ad for a set of brand new carpool stickers on the internet. The guy said he wrecked his Prius before he ever had a chance to put on the stickers. I would buy them in a heartbeat but the guy wants $1500 firm for them!!! I know they how valuable there are but Im not sure I'd pay that much but after todays horrible (1.5 hr ) commute from Almaden Valley to Redwood city taking Hwy 85 and 101 I might just break the piggy bank and buy them. Does anyone know if these are transferrable ? Or does it even matter ? I know they have serial #'s on them but just not sure ? :eek:

2. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

They're not. They're tied to the car's VIN. You'll be paying $1500 for nothing.

3. dridler88

dridler88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Apr 19 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]426445[/snapback]</div>

You might be right but at this point, I just care about being able to go on the carpool lane.
    Does anyone actually verify if the stickers are tied to the cars VIN especially when your going
    80 MPH ?

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dridler88 @ Apr 19 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]426449[/snapback]</div>
    You can ask him to scan the certificate you get with the stickers. It lists the VIN number. You can't transfer them. I just had to apply for replacement stickers because I replaced my bumper. I have to supply my car's VIN number and the serial number of the stickers. They have to match. And if a cop pulls you over and you don't have the certificate or the stickers don't match the VIN number, he can cite you.

5. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dridler88 @ Apr 19 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]426449[/snapback]</div>
    I dont understand the last part about going 80MPH.

but anyway, zgf is right, the carpool sticker istied to the VIN#. In fact, you will need to show the proof, i.e. a sheet of paper that comes with the sticker from DMV. In that paper is information on VIN#, Plate# etc.
    Carpool stickers are NOT transferable.
    You can buy it, but if you got pulled over, you wont be able to prove they belong to you & your car. Now I don't know what the punishment on such law breaking act. I can understand the temptation, it would save you at least 30 mins going from Almaden to Redwood City.

6. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if you're going 80 mph, the CHP officer who pulls you over for speeding well most definitely check the numbers. I feel your pain. I was in a rental car while I had mine in the shop for its 90,000 mile service, and it drove me crazy not being able to use the carpool lane.
    It would be pretty bad to pay 1500 and then get a high price ticket for not having proper paperwork. You might call the DMV to see if they would consider a transfer under this rare case. Do you know for a fact that the stickers aren't stolen?
    Good luck!

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am pretty sure there would also be a criminal charge of some sort for fraudulent use of the sticker that does not belong to your car. So , if one is inclined to do something that stupid, one gets what one deserves.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Apr 19 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]426445[/snapback]</div>
    You can get the junk yard to sell the crashed one to you, or wait 'till it's taken to Tijuana for rebuild/salvage title. Then you'd be legal ... if you don't mind a car that runs sideways B)

9. dridler88

dridler88 New Member

What I meant by going 80 mph whatever speed is that who is actually going to verify that the car is registered to the stickers? In fact I was the passenger in my friends Prius which actually had carpool stickers and the officer did not get on his knees and actually verify the #'s on the stickers. As far as a criminal charge is concerned, I am the 3rd owner of my Prius and who is to say I didnt buy the car with the stickers on it without my knowledge they were not registered to the car? For all you know the 1st or 2nd owner put the stickers on the car.

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dridler88 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]426515[/snapback]</div>
    Receiving stolen property is a crime, whether you knew it was stolen or not.

I doubt your "I didn't know" excuse will go far.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dridler88 @ Apr 19 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]426515[/snapback]</div>
    And if the officer checks you may be scraping off those $1500 stickers on the side of the road.

If you wanted them so bad, you should have waited and bought a used Prius that already had them.

12. dridler88

dridler88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Apr 19 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]426529[/snapback]</div>
    whos to say the stickers on your car aren't stolen??? <_< Beside Im not steeling these stickers, Im paying $1500 for them from a person who owns them !!! :angry:

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dridler88 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]426541[/snapback]</div>
    Uhh... because the certificate matches the VIN? And he bought them for the car?

Uh... right. But you were presenting a case where you (uknowingly) bought stolen property. They're still stolen (or fraudulently purchased) - just not by you.

Here's the deal: It is just as illegal to drive in the HOV lane with improper stickers as it is to drive there with no stickers. Sometimes rules suck - but we're stuck with them. In my littler world, NOBODY should drive solo in the HOV lane. For one thing, we need to change the name of the damn thing!

14. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dridler88 @ Apr 19 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]426541[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but who knows where he got them from...

Still, you now know the facts. It's up to you to decide what you want to do. Nobody here is going to tell you that yeah, you won't get caught, nobody's looking closely, blah blah blah... it's up to you to do that rationalizing.

15. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Using HOV stickers that do NOT belong to your vehicle is a misdemeanor offense.
    Now you know what will happen if you get caught. Good luck. Do whatever makes you happy. <_<

>>>>
    A person shall not operate or own a vehicle displaying a decal, label, or other identifier, as described in Section 5205.5, if that decal, label, or identifier was not issued for that vehicle pursuant to Section 5205.5. A violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.

16. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Darell said, the ones on my car were bought by me, from DMV. And I have the certificate to prove it, which is exactly what you won't have.

Chances are, you'll never be stopped, because police have plenty of flagrant HOV violators to pull over before they'll bother to check your stickers.

But there's more than the HOV fine at stake here. A misdemeanor violation is a higher crime than a moving violation ticket. Technically, you'd be arrested and convicted of a crime, which might be a problem later in life.

To quote Arlo Guthrie, when some application asks "Kid, have you ever been arrested?" you'll have to give details. In some cases, you may be disqualified from the job, the security clearance, etc.

This whole argument is now getting silly. If you want to spend your money and use those stickers, do so. Everyone so far has discouraged your proposed plan of action, but you seem intent on going ahead. You're not hearing what you want to hear, so you're arguing your point. Just do it. It's your life, your responsibilty; don't expect anyone here to take any responsibility for YOUR actions.

Keep us posted every six months to let us know how it goes.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dridler88 @ Apr 19 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]426541[/snapback]</div>
    What part of "NOT TRANSFERABLE" do you not understand?

I have a military I.D. - It's mine. - Not stolen. - Issued to me.
    If I were to sell it to you for $1,500, would that be OK in your book too?
    You can't just go around willy nilly buying and selling non-transferable government issued identification.
    That is what the HOV Access sticker are. <_<

On that subject. I do have a brand new set of HOV Access stickers sitting in my file cabinet. :unsure:
    For $1,500 :unsure: . . .
    I'd consider trading you cars.
    The stickers would come with the deal - because at that point it would be a legal transfer.
    Of course, I'm thinking I could hold out a little longer and wait for a better deal . . .
    maybe an updated 2009 model. :lol:

18. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's weird, mine only cost 8 bucks. Maybe the gold color on his is real gold.

19. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Apr 20 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]426801[/snapback]</div>
    I second this.

Why bother asking in this forum if you already made up your mind? There is no single poster in this thread that agrees with you. Just do it, you don't need any approval/justification from ppl in this forum. What's the point of asking anyway? This forum is for educating and helping each other out, not for a crime support group.

20. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 20 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]426912[/snapback]</div>
    Legitimate ones only cost $8 plus a FasTrak transponder.

But there are people out there hoping to prey on the general ignorance of the public and make a lot of money for doing nothing.

I say "doing nothing" because nothing restricts the seller from then going back to the DMV, saying "hey, my stickers got stolen; make me a couple more", and getting usable stickers back. And then the poor sap who bought them gets to look like he stole them.