1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found a spot of rust, covered under warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lokepa19, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Lokepa19

Lokepa19 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So i'm a new prius owner of one week, this past weekend i detailed the car with a clay bar, took out all the fall out and came across a small rust spot the size a pen mark on top of the roof.

Has anybody else come across this problem? Is this under warranty?

my sales guy said that the warranty covers rust only from the inside out and wouldn't cover this spot.
    I bought the car as a demo with 1000 miles on it, the car was sold new since the vehicle was never registered in another name than the dealership. He suggested to go over it with touch up paint.

I'm no body fender guy, but i know that won't treat rust properly and it will make it worse.

thanks for the help

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you bought the car knowing that it was a demo (and presumably received a discount for that prior usage), I don't think that you have any recourse. If this were a new car and you immediately discovered the paint flaw (like within the next day) it would be reasonable to ask your dealer to have the flaw professionally repaired. Once time has elapsed, any surface paint flaws could be due to normal wear & tear (i.e., a rock that was kicked up on the highway and landed on your roof) so it would not be reasonable to expect warranty coverage.

If your dealer was interested in customer satisfaction then they would give you a break and repaint the spot at their expense. However since all Toyota dealers in Hawaii are owned by Servco Pacific, the management is probably not worried about competition between those dealers for your business...

So if the rust spot bugs you and you do not consider touch up paint to be sufficient, then you'll likely have to have the roof repainted at your expense.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it were my car, I would probably just use the paint pen.

But I guess the better accepted practice would be to remove the rust, prime the spot with rust inhibiting paint primer, paint it with touch up paint, and then clear coat and/or wax it.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Could the rust problem be resolved with the warranty? There's a 60/month warranty on corrosion perforation of sheet metal, or does there need to be a hole, first?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe the word perforation means hole.

Tom

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a warranty item unless it perforates by itself; pounding a nail through the middle of it does not count. You paid a good price for it as a demo, right? Use either of boo's alternatives and don't stress about it.

7. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is what I would do, go down to the dealership and talk to the service manager, explain that the car was bought new and is only one week old, you were cleaning and found the spot on the roof, a roof would be a hard place to get nicked, and you would like to see if it could get taken care of before it gets worse. Try that first, salespeople and managers are going to tell you all kinds of BS. If you already did that with the service manager, you might try the body shop department of the same dealership, they might offer an easy and cheap alternative.

8. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Depending on the location of the spot and the cost of repainting if it isn't a warranty item you might want to think about a sunroof installation

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +2

BTW, I doubt very much that that tiny rust spot will spread much, if at all, even if it were left untreated. I had a new 1987 white Honda Civic wagon once. One day in 1990 I went to the car and it looked like someone had dropped a bowling ball on the roof. Besides the dent, there were big scratches/scrapes of the paint in or near the dent, which scratches/scrapes quickly rusted. I never bothered to fix the dent or the rusty scratches/scrapes. In fact, I never even bothered to wax the car since the incident. When I finally gave the car away to charity in 2004, I think the dent and rusty scratches/scrapes looked about the same as they did in 1990.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends if the OP lives near the ocean or not. There's high humidity and daily rain in Honolulu, so if you've got a film of salt on the roof plus a daily infusion of water, the spot might get worse quickly.

11. Lokepa19

Lokepa19 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well here in hawaii it doesn't matter if you live on the beach or if you live in the mountaints, salt air will find your car. My question is if this could be consider a warranty item, i'm gathering that it is not.

I'm not too concerened on the rust spot to let it affect my health. When it comes to my car, my OCD comes out until everything is perfect. I will take care of the spot myself and hope for great results.

Thanks for the information, it saved me a trip to the dealership.

12. Mark Knight

Mark Knight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2 month old prius, and today while washing i found multiple "rust" looking spots on my car. They scratch off but definetely should not be an issue on a brand new car!