1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found in SPAM trap: MaritzCX survey

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Mar 29, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Probably a mistake, I found this in my SPAM trap:
    It was a pretty deep, data scrape . . . just under an hour. All for the option of an entry in a 'sweepstake' (RIGHT! Like that will ever happen!)

Bob Wilson

ps. Rules attached which ends January 2018.

Attached Files:

#1 bwilson4web, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    New Vehicle Customer Survey by Martiz CX

Just curious, did anyone else other than Bob receive this?
    I received it, and filled out the paper form (didn't want to do the online version, because I wanted to be able to skip answering some questions) but haven't sent it in yet.

I obviously left everything blank that was personal stuff (most of the last page).

Trying to figure out if it's "legit" or not. Vast majority of questions were on the car and brand, yet these were all pretty similar questions to Toyota's own survey.

Do these guys just pay $ for customer lists, then collect data on everyone purchasing any brand to then sell that data to others? Or do they work for Toyota, I wonder? But again, the questions were pretty much the same as Toyota's; I can't imagine why Toyota would pay an outside firm to ask the same questions Toyota themselves asked in their survey.

Am tempted not to send it in. I have no problems giving feedback to manufacturers (and did), but really dislike Big Data (there's too much of it out there already) and even if "legit", it seems these guys probably make tons of money selling our responses that we do for free for them, and that take a good 15-20 mins to complete -- getting us to all do it for free, with the exception of a small "sweepstakes", whoo-hee.

I googled them, seems like they do stuff like surveys and secret shoppers, but am inclined just to throw it away even though I completed it. My gut is telling me that this is probably legit, but not going to Toyota directly, rather, probably being used to sell our data and answers to anyone, and I don't like the idea of them getting us to work for free. Thoughts, anyone? Bob, did you send yours in? Anyone else receive this? What did you do with it?

PS: I remember one or two surveys in years past where they enclosed a $5 bill to "guilt" people to answer. And as long as it didn't reveal personal information (was strictly product feedback), I did. At least you got $5. This is basically working 20 mins for free so they can sell our answers to others I suspect..

#2 stevepea, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  4. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yup, I was thinking the same thing, then he corrected his post:D

Prius from Dad likes this.
  5. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Definitely sounds like something I would stay away from.

6. blueterp

blueterp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got that email about 5 weeks after my purchase. I ignored it.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Found another 'survey' in my spam trap from a different survey company dated today:
    Starting with the e-mail header:
    So the sponsor owns the domain "morpace.com". A quick WHOIS reveals:

REGISTRANT CONTACT
    Name: Morpace International
    Organization: Morpace International
    Street: 31700 MIDDLEBELT RD STE 200
    City: FARMINGTON HILLS
    State: MI
    Postal Code: 48334-2375​

Using Google, we find this company does exist and address matches. So a quick look at their home page:
    • "morpace Market Research & Consulting"
    Obviously not Toyota so I seriously doubt they have any association with @Prius Team or Toyota corporate. My guess, it is an offshoot of a dealer association. Regardless, this is the second time I've seen:

"As a token of our appreciation, when you complete this survey you will be
    entered into a drawing for a chance to win one of three Amazon.com gift cards.

One grand prize - $500
    Two runner-up prizes - $250 each
    "​

Well I'm already entered having filled out the survey once. We'll let this one fade into obscurity.

UPDATE: I sent this to their support e-mail:
    We've had 'marketing student' surveys in the past using Survey Monkey and once the submitter agrees to share the results, I've had no problem taking their 8-10 question quiz. The key is sharing the results. So I replied with the same offer, 'share the results and I'll be happy to waste the time.'

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So this evening I picked up the mail only to discover a follow-up survey from 'MaritzCX'. Huh? How timely.

Two pages, legal size, double sided it starts with the usual 'classify this Prius Prime owner' questions. Then it turns out they wanted me to rate four cars:
    • Kia Optima Non-Hybrid
    • Subaru Outlook
    • Toyota Prius
    • Toyota Prius v
    It looks like this was commissioned by "Kia" but we can't rule out "Subaru." Of the two, I suspect "Kia" because as part of the Hyundai group, they have been aggressive about selling to Prius owners. We have seen that already in PriusChat.

I'm sending off the survey with no expectations other than we're likely to see some 'micro targeting' in the future. Perhaps our Hyundai/Kia trolls will 'get the memo'. More likely not as I think there is a clash of cultures. Neither Kia/Hyundai nor Subaru have any products that interest me.

Bob Wilson

Prius from Dad likes this.
  9. Prius from Dad

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Looks like you got targeted. I've not had anything like that. I only got the one from the dealer/corporate. Maybe only your neck of the woods?

10. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks Bob for the info. You're more forgiving than I am :) I'm going to throw my initial MartizCX form in the trash and be done with them. I was happy to do Toyota's (online) but don't want to start getting constant surveys from them (though if one doesn't mind, that's how you can get your opinions heard)...

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On the third, legal sized page they asked about the:
    • Kia Optima Non-Hybrid
    • Subaru Outback
    • Toyota Prius (not the Prime, hummm)
    • Toyota Prius v
    It was a long list of why I did not consider them:
    1. "Doesn't get enough gas mileage" - all but the Prius
    2. "Vehicle did not have options I wanted" - only the Prius
    3. Other reasons (specify)
      1. Kia Optima Non-Hybrid - "Not hybrid"
      2. Subaru Outback - "Not hybrid"
      3. Toyota Prius - "No TSS-P"
      4. Toyota Prius v - "Poor MPG"
    So I get to whack them with a 'clue by four' and let them know there is no trick, no lying sales promise, no advertisement that will ever get this Prius Prime owner to consider them. They have paid the survey company to get 'bitch slapped.'

But back to the more recent solicitation, I really have no interest in trying to teach the next 'survey' solicitation why their products have no appeal. I was briefly tempted to get the survey and load them up with a bunch of BS but you know, I really don't have the time.

Bob Wilson

12. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Seems Toyota is eager to make $$ by selling our names to all sorts of companies after you buy a car from them (never got any of this pile of junk mail after buying cars from Honda) -- everything from satellite radio (both calling my house suddenly, as well as constant letters in the mail reminding me my 3 month trial is about up) to multiple marketing and survey mails and emails from unaffiliated 3rd party companies. Didn't answer them. Another black eye for Toyota in my book (selling their customer info for more $$).

But just got yet another survey -- this time a local one for those in So Calif. Have been invited to register for an in-person survey, and if I'm picked, it will be in LA or OC, will take 2.5-3 hrs, and I'll be paid $125 (at least they pay for your trouble, unlike some of the others). I signed up for this (thankfully they didn't want any personal info like so many of the others -- ie, salary, ethnicity, etc). Will wait to see if I'm picked. If it's not too far away, I'll do it. You had to have purchased one of about 15 EV or plug-in cars to be sent the survey (and I assume live in the general area). Company was very forthright saying they don't give the lists to anyone else, they give you their address and direct phone # if you have any questions, and seemed legit. People will be asked for their opinions on new and future vehicles on display, sponsored by a major automobile manufacturer. And if I'm picked, at least they pay for my time, and I'm happy to give my opinions. For the MaritzCX survey (way too personal data mining), I simply ripped it up and threw it away.

#12 stevepea, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Mark57 likes this.