1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found the Sweet Spot!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rangerdavid, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ok, so today I drove from Boone, NC to Durham, NC. All of it on 4 lane interstate or larger freeways. I got the cruise control set on 73 mph, and was in the second lane in from the left hand fast lane. So the lane was probably worn in good. anyway, my mileage was fluctuating between 56.1 and up to 73. I don,t know if I had a tail wind or what.

Anyway, on the way back this evening I tried the same thing again, 73 mph on cruise, and left hand fast lane, one in. Again, I averaged over 60 mph. when I finally stopped for gas, I had two pips left, and 483 miles on the tank and an average of 51.0 for the tank. (I was two pips down when I left here, but that's included in the 483 miles).

Anyway, just thought I'd post to see if anyone else has had any similar experience? No bad mileage for 73 mph, huh?

:D
    RD

2. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can never get better than 50 mpg running at 70 mph. Good job.

3. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

How many gallons does the tank hold? I know, the math is easy but I wanted to know what the actual published size of the tank.

Thanks,
    Scott

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The actual published tank capacity of the 2004 - 09 Prius is 11.8 US gallons.

However, due to the emissions control bladder most Americans will never get that much gasoline in their tank.

5. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm confused, you say you drove 73 mph but then in another sentence say you averaged over 60 mph. Which is it?

I think it all depends on the road your driving to find a sweet spot.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Average speed is never as high as cruising speed as long as your cruise speed is also your maximum speed. You have to slow down for off ramps and stuff like that.

7. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Surevalla, thanks for catching the typo. It was 73 MPH and 60 MPG.

8. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    60mpg at 73mph is excellent.

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    David, you beat me, I can't match that.

10. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That fuel economy at that speed was probably more due to road conditions - tail wind, downhill, good road surfaces, etc - that contributed more than being in a functional 'sweet spot'.

Regardless, it's a good number. I'd be happy!

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow nice. At 70mph, I only get 47mpg (5.1L/100km). Could 73mph be the speed where MG...1?? disengages and the engine powers the wheels directly without sending anything to the battery? (I read something similar on Wayne's site....about how they can feel one of the MG's disengaging.. no idea how that feels/sounds like)

12. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My only thought is: That must be one flat road...

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My normal highway speed is 118km/h on cruise control and normally watch the MFD showing an average of 5.2L/100km on the highway. It's pretty flat round here.

14. Rangerdavid

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    folks, I've had this Prius since august, 2006 and never gotten that kind of mileage before (well, not at highway speeds anyway)....

I've made that trip numerous times before and gotten good mileage, but nothing that far above normal. I'm really happy. Jon, I think there may be a"spot" somewhere close to 73 mph where that happens. Maybe I found it by acciden!:cheer2:

The real test will be to see if I can duplicate the effort when I make the trip again at the end of this week.

:D
    RD

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did some calculations.
    My normal highway cruise speed as I said earlier is 118km/h. I just did the conversion, 73mph! What do you know, snap! This gives me 5.2L/100km which translates to 45mpg US or 54mpg UK.

16. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd be pretty happy with mileage like that at such speeds.

The only time I'd get really high mileage on an interstate highway (other than in construction zones!) is when there is warm (not hot) weather and the roadway is concrete or well-worn asphalt that isn't yet broken up. Such roadways are rather uncommon in the upper midwest!!

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I find that some days I get stellar, unexplained mileage. Then, doing the same thing in seemingly BETTER conditions, I can't touch that mileage. I think there's some hidden magic voodoo going on some days.

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bet it's all in the spandex, Darell. Have you compared which tanks were winter spandex and which were not?

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... try 115km/h, 116km/, 117km/h, 119km/h and 120km/h lol... it might be somewhere in there.

20. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are aware of the Stage 3/4 transition? Once the engine is fully warmed up, it seems to need an idle speed check before it will run the engine at very low revs. It's aggressive about running it - it starts the engine when driving below the EV mode limit (I think - the original document says 34mph) and won't stop it. The engine goes into idle mode below 6mph, when slowing, and the speed check takes ten seconds. Some people advocate pulling over to allow this check to complete.

(Idle check is my assumption based on the monitor for DTC P0101, which runs for 10 seconds when the engine is idle. I'm guessing it's calibrating the mass airflow sensor.)

Annoyingly, on my commute, the engine isn't normally warmed up to 73°C before I get to the high-speed (60, 50, 40mph) section; once on the 40mph section there's a nice glide available with only occasional moderate input from the battery, which saves fuel, but the engine's gone cold again by the time I get to the next junction I might have to stop at. I normally get a chance to do the idle check only when I have a couple of miles to go, although at both ends of the journey there's a slow section followed by a fast section, then town traffic.

Last week, though, temperatures were over 15ºC and I could tell the car was already in Stage 3 before the high-speed section, and I pulled over after crawling through the 20mph village. Result, pretty high mileage numbers, well over 75mpg 5-minute averages.