1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wires.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by driverx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. driverx

driverx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Before you order Costal Dave's navigation enhancement system or cutting wires to disable the speed sensor, check this out. There is a cool way to override navigation system so that you can enter destination while in motion. 8)

Actually, found this at the Lexus forum. I tried this on my 04 Prius and it works. I just have to remember the key sequences to activate the override.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ad.php?t=167666

Pretty cool trick, right? I wish there was a way to set override permanantly.

Mod Edit: This works only with the '04 & '05 Prius, it was removed/changed in later models.

2. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Thanks driverx!

Not sure if I should cancel my Coastal Dave order just yet since I would also like the Bluetooth to function as well (There's probably a screen sequence there too.) Once we have THAT figured out, I'll cancel away.

Also - the other buttons intrigue me, but I'm too chicken to "test" them out. Anyone here want to take a gamble?

3. edgrzy

edgrzy Junior Member

Re: Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wir

This did not work on my 2005 Prius

4. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Worked fine for me Ed - and I have a 2005.

Maybe you have newer software than I do? (We got ours in May) I'm not sure what version I have.

Hope you can get it to work - I can live with the disclaimer screen as long as I have full functionality.

5. popoff

popoff New Member

Works on a 2005 purchased in March!

Trick might be to go through sequence quickly. If you are tentative when pushing the buttons, it doesn't work.

Wow, what a find!

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a cool find for those who don't wanna cut wires and such. I think it would be cumbersome for someone who uses NAV frequently to have to go through the entire sequence. And unless you keep the instructions handy it could be hard to remember the correct combination if you use NAV infrequently.

But indeed, it is a big discovery for a car that's been out for almost 2 years now and I certainly took the time to write down the sequence.

How about someone take Pictures and do a write up for the Knowledge Base here so we can refer people to it in the future? Any volunteers or am I gonna have to do it myself?

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, please write up a Knowledge Base article on it (especially since I can't even view clublexus from work due to corporate firewalls... :guns:)

8. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"106870)</div>
    I'll crank up the camera and give it a whirl. I'll try to have it done by this evening.

9. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I played with the Nav all the way into work today and I must say, I can see why they took a lot of the functionality out of the system while moving.

I caught myself several times drifting into the other lane, or heading toward the road edge. Extremely dangerous! Probably even more so than talking on a cell phone.

Being by myself, probably not a good thing. But with my wife navigating, I see no problem with it. And the touchscreen key sequence to get in is very simple and only a minor inconvenience, in my opinion.

Now - let's see if we can find the secret Bluetooth touchscreen key sequence.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Navigation Speed Override Sequence

1)Push MENU Button on bezel
    2)Tap the VOLUME soft button
    3)Tap top left of screen (where the speaker icon is), then the bottom left, then top left again and finally the bottom left again.
    4)The Service Menu should appear.
    5)Press and hold the Override soft button until it beeps and is highlighted.

Full NAV function should now be available until you shut down the car. This can be engaged while in motion but must be repeated each time the car is restarted.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

A WORD formatted Printable version to put in the glove box. If someone wants to add photos and other comments and post it in the KB that would be fine.

12. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wasn't there another tap-tap-tap secret screen? Or was that just another way to get to the headlight-flash screen?

I sure hope none of the other buttons leads to posts in the "I wish I hadn't done that to my Prius" thread...

13. momsum

momsum New Member

Gee guys and gals, I don't want to sound dumb...but what's the big deal in overriding the Nav system? I just ordered my Tideland Pearl Prius with pkg 6 on Monday and I'm wondering if I should copy the sequence too?

Thanks for your patience with my dumbness!!! Terry

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momsum\";p=\"106909)</div>
    The big deal is that, as a safety feature, the NAV system is mostly 'grayed out' and inaccessible while the car is moving. Thus, you're cruising along and decide you want to enter a destination you have to stop the car type it in, then go again.

This is a good idea if you're a lone driver....it is very distracting and hard to enter an address or change zones and such while maintaining adequate concentration on driving.

But, if you have a passenger who's capable of entering that data it is a PITA to have to stop, esp. if you're on a freeway or heavily trafficed area.

The override allows your passenger to have full access to all NAV features while the car is still in motion.

15. jonm

jonm New Member

OMG...haha.

I just did the Nav mod lastnight!!! Will have to try this and see how much of a difference it is.

Thanks for finding this wonderful bit of info and the document creation as well!!

16. momsum

momsum New Member

Thanks! That clears things up for me. I have already copied the "code breaker"and will keep in in my car...when I finally get it! Can't wait!! Terry

17. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Sweet!!! Works as stated in my Dec. 04 purchased 2005 model Prius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evan, the photos are on that Lexus site. They are identical to the Prius images.

I'm quite startled nobody figured this out before. I'd heard of folks saying that they could see a satelite reception screen, and that is one of the other buttons on the menu! Perhaps the fact that you have to PRESS AND HOLD the "Override" button was the problem?

18. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At lunch, I noticed that my success rate in activating the override while rolling was lower than when stopped.

More than twice, when I completed the sequence and held the OVERRIDE button long enough for it to beep, the button did not turn black and there was no override. While stopped, and rolling once at maybe 20MPH, my success rate was 100%.

Not sure it'll always work on the first try when stopped, but I was worried it wasn't going to work for me at all until I kept trying...

19. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"106933)</div>
    The satellite stuff is on the headlight-flash-while-pressing-Info menu. Not the same...

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"106933)</div>
    Yea, and they belong to the photographer. Plus, it isn't a Prius. No reason we can't take our own an post them here of an actual Prius.

I've been contacted by one member who's going to, aparently, take photos and send them my way and I'll post the article in the KB for all eternity. Otherwise, I'll just got out and grab some quick photos myself.