1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wires.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by driverx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. treich007

treich007 New Member

Does anyone know what the "TEL voice" button does on the service screen?

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wir

It works! I have an early 2004 (built Oct 2003) and it works fine. It takes 5 seconds at most to do before you take off. This is great news. Now I don't have to cut wires and void my warranty!!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

3. driverx

driverx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Isn't this cool or what!!! I stumbled into this info while I was trying to find the mod for my wife's new (2 days old) Lexus GX DVD. It should work for most of the 04-05 Toyota/ Lexus. Newer the better. :wink:

Key stroke sequence isn't very difficult to memorize and enter. Acutally, I find it easier then inputing address while driving. Of course, you do this at your own risk. However, my Acura let you have the full nav function while in motion. Go figures.

I was ready to cut open my Prius to install the navigation defeat switch. I am glad I waited. I need to return the Radio Shack button, only if I can find the receipt.

I will let you guys know as I find more info/tricks from the Lexus forum.
    8)

4. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(driverx\";p=\"106958)</div>
    YES, this is definitely cool!!!! I wrote the sequence on a 3x5 index card and then laminated it! However, having gone through it a couple of times already, I don't think I'll have to refer to the card too often.

Anyway, THANKS for posting here and please pass on any new tricks you discover..............................particularly some sort of override for the BT lockout. :wink:

5. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yea, neat!

My only disappointment is that it doesn't carry over and leave motion dedection deactivated for telephone dialing. It is not likely that there is an equilivant proceedure to allow dialing while in motion (that's a challenge).

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"The satellite stuff is on the headlight-flash-while-pressing-Info menu."

Do tell... I failed to find such an article with search terms "satelite" and "headlight."

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Press and hold the Info button, then turn the headlights on and off three times, rather quickly.

You will get a menu, which includes Bluetooth settings and one for the GPS that shows the available satellites. More satellites means better position accuracy.

Can't recall if anyone said this menu only shows up in NAV-equipped cars, and I don't remember what else was available to play with. Playing may not work out well anyway, as the warning earlier in this thread about this new menu stated...

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

yowzah! driverx! I think every member with NAV (except for those who invested in the Coastal thingie) should give you all of his/her points!!! here're mine!!! thanks!!!
    rpm
    :lolup:

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I wonder if there are any other "secret menu" items in the system. We need a hacker's guide!

BTW, I don't think Dave's kit requires cutting wires, and it also has the BT option.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil\";p=\"107027)</div>
    Right, Dave's kit is a simple plug in.

It worked for me, although I had to push the "Back" icon in order to return to the volume screen. Otherwise when I pressed MAP it just beeped.

I still want to get Dave's kit because it's always active, gets rid of the "I Agree" screen and has the BT add on (as mentioned). One thing in favor of this method, as I'm driving solo most of the time I'm less likely to be tempted to input Destination here than if that option is always active.

Still, this is WAY cool!!! :D

11. rosieox

rosieox Junior Member

Does anybody know what all the other "Settings" buttons are for? Such as GPS and TEL Voice?

12. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I am so tired of reading the warnings many of the people who post on this board insert in their postings. Don't get me wrong, I love the information available and the camaraderie but things like "I caught myself several times drifting into the other lane, or heading toward the road edge. Extremely dangerous! Probably even more so than talking on a cell phone." or "it is very distracting and hard to enter an address or change zones and such while maintaining adequate concentration on driving. " and many others.
    What are we, an Orwellian society? Are we so well trained that we must tell/warn people of what a dangerous thing we're doing? Or am I misreading the whole thing and you guys are just being funny.
    My last car's nav and phone worked while moving. I put 135,000 miles on it in just under five years and never had a problem inputing or dialing while driving.
    I love my 2005 Prius but really resent Toyota's disabling BT and NAV functions while car is moving. This find Mr. DriverX made is fantastic! Thanks.
    If you think you will have problems manipulating the NAV or BT controls while driving, the answer is simple. Don't do it! But leave the rest of us alone and stop being Big Brother's helper.
    PS I'll let you know if I crash while inputting an address. :oops:

13. popoff

popoff New Member

Right on, my big brother!

Here's 50 hardearned points for you. :)

14. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and for the benefit of the legal beagles at Toyota, who probably are the root cause of the screen, how about a form in the owner's manual that says, "if i cause an accident or damage myself or my car or any occupants because i was diddling with the nav system while driving, it was my fault and not toyota's and i will not sue them or in any way hold them liable."?

and the only way you can buy the car is to sign the form and hand it over to the dealer, and then they can do some secret thing that we'll never be able to hack, that does the same thing as the plug-in.

nah, never happen. the lawyers will never allow it.
    :)

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rosieox\";p=\"107066)</div>
    I didn't press "TEL Voice," but I did press "GPS" and it gave information about the satellites that were being used.

16. spectral

spectral New Member

There's another way to get to this menu that I find easier and less destructive on my headlight switch:

hit 'Display', and get the bar at the top and bottom. ignore them.
    In the area that's NOT in the bars in the top or bottom, do the whole corner tap trick (top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left .. sometimes I have to do the pair three times total).

If you do the headlight flash method again from this screen, you'll get to another screen. To avoid the headlight flash and get to the second level, press the upper left (sometimes I have to hold it for a second or two) and then press the lower RIGHT (not left, like everything else has been).

I poked around a bit in there, never really managed to change anything all that interesting, from what I can tell. I tried to get a lexus screen at startup, but though the value in the menu changed, the screen at startup didn't.. *shrug*

re: TEL voice. I pressed it (didn't read the warnings beforehand), and about 10 seconds later got an interesting looking screen about "echo controll". I didn't understand the interface and left the screen. The only button on the volume-corner-tap menu I've not pressed is 'loading', as it scares me the most of anything, really. :)

17. tag

tag Senior Member

Almost forgot......here are all my points, driverx! :D

18. driverx

driverx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Wow!! Thanks everyone. Please... I don't deserve the credits and points. I am not sure what to do with the points anyways. :mrgreen:
    E55 guy from the Lexus forum really deserve all the credits and our thanks.

I just wish Toyota/Lexus folks would give us the option.

19. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Gee - A bit melodramatic I think! Most likely the force that's strongest here is the "Darwin Principle."

Time will tell. And yes, if you can't tell, I'm joking.

May all of us NAV bypassers survive to tell another day. OOPS, did I say the wrong thing again?:oops:

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

This is a great easter egg. I would think that there are others. I would start looking for a similar pattern of screen touch in the various telephone menus. I would bet the programmers would use similar techniques to access hidden screens.
    My Garmin iQue gives a similar warning to the Prius when it is powered up but it goes away by on it's own and you can input while moving. It is not as versatile at finding things as the voice commands let us find gas stations etc. in the Prius though.