1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wires.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by driverx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    DriverX - Thanks for the great find! Here are a hundred points for your discovery.

I found that the "speaker-lower left-speaker-lower left" sequence can be done as slowly as you like. I thought it was interesting that while pushing these areas of the screen there is no feedback beep (sure wish all of the screen was beepless).

I pushed the "Loading" button and a list of different countries came up. I would assume that pressing one of those buttons is used for loading the NAV DVD for that region.

Also, should you want to turn off the override without shutting down, just press and hold the override button until it beeps again and the highlighting turns off.

2. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am not incorrect in my use of Orwellian, please give me back one point and have fun reading the following http://www.studentsfororwell.org/
    As I've said before, if you think you can't multitask and it is dangerous for you, simply don't do it. I do agree with the points you make and envy your drive which included CA and VA.
    jimofdg says it well, " . . .there is an uncomfortable subtext in the constant reminder to be careful . . ." and the placement of that "subtext" is definitely Orwellian.
    Back to topic- I've been in the Error Log and found a screen covered with 0000 two spaces and 0000. There are "A"'s and "V"'s in the corners and arrows on top. Personally I'm much too Orwellian in my training to dare touch them.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I tried one while-moving test, and noticed that while you can call up a list of Local POIs while moving (I picked Video Stores), the distance and direction don't dynamically update as you drive, and you have to completely start over to get a new set of distances and directions. I'm sure they never expected the car to be moving while this was going on, but just wanted to find out what would happen...

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wir

I was thinking it more of a warning for "sue happy" people. Like, "I followed your directions and banged my car. You're responsible because you didn't say it was bad to do so."

Back on topic, I haven't checked to see if other things that gray out (like the reminders) would come up. I did discover that it can be activate while moving quite well. This is really very handy. Most of the time we plan any trip ahead of time (so we can enter the information at the start), but if we want to make a change of plans we can do so right then and there.

5. envlaw

envlaw New Member

Absolutely worked on the first try for me.

2005 Prius
    Tideland Pearl
    Denver CO

6. DanP

DanP Member

I thank you for the SOS web site reference. It's always nice to see evidence of intelligent life in our country. As for that point, I'm sorry, but I will have to refuse your request. No...no...do not protest, I beg of you. For one thing, you printed your request on the wrong form altogether. For another, I just don't see how the warning to "be careful" resembles in any way the kinds of propaganda management methods described in 1984.

BTW, cool boat. It must be wonderfully easy to single-hand. Do you find you lose much (or any) boat speed compared to a boat with a similar hull and a foresail?

7. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This boat is called a Nonsuch and was built for about 10 years, in Canada, in the eighties. It is all manageable from the cockpit, has a fin keel and is very, very fast. 30' overall, 550 sq ft. sail area, 55 foot mast and 13.5' at the beam which carries to 12.5' at transom. Sleeps 6 comfortably. Can't answer your question on speed. Can tell you she's faster than a 28' C&C sailed well. I love her!

8. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Worked for me (2004 Prius) as well, both at a stop and while moving (of couse I was a passenger while my wife was driving!).

Great workaround IMO! Better than the $75 or so adapter and I can only disengage it when I really need it and not be tempted while driving solo (much). :D

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"the distance and direction don't dynamically update as you drive, and you have to completely start over to get a new set of distances and directions. I'm sure they never expected the car to be moving while this was going on, but just wanted to find out what would happen..."

This implies that this method may completely disable dead-reckoning, whereas Dave's mod does not.

10. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil\";p=\"107862)</div>
    Dead reckoning or Ded reckoning - OT trivia if anyone is interested

UPDATE! UPDATE! Many Flight Simmers took pity on my pathetic lack of knowledge and patiently explained to me the origins of "Dead Reckoning." This one, from Norm Herrin (with permission), particularly covers the topic well.

"Certainly, the greatest pioneers in navigation were those who navigated on the high seas centuries ago. With no knowledge of geography or ocean depth (or lack thereof), these adventurers had to share their knowledge with others - meaning they had to keep intricate logs of their routes in order to create accurate maps. When making entries in their journals they had to provide in the margin the source of their navigation/conclusions, such as visual sightings, etc. One common entry pertained to direction, distance and elapsed time and had the standard entry of deduced reckoning. As time went by, the commonly accepted abbreviation for this entry was d'ed reckoning. As more time went by, the apostrophe was lost (ded reckoning) and eventually, others corrected this perceived misspelling to result in the phrase dead reckoning."

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not that you (or your passenger) need to access this while in motion, but this override also gives access to the Maintainance Schedule screen.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that it seems that the override indeed overrides the speed sensor and, just like interupting the wire, thus eliminates the dead reconning and also the accuracy of tracking on the display.

I found it took up to 30 seconds for the GPS to properly place my vehicle on the road.

13. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I disagree, this behavior implies no such thing. It makes complete sense that the programmers would not add code to dynamically update the distance and direction information on a POI list screen if that screen is not supposed to be accessible when the car is moving.

It may well be true that the override disables the dead-reckoning, but that can not be inferred by this behavior.

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popoff\";p=\"107876)</div>
    Just so people don't get too excited, the 'ded' reckoning derivation is not by any means universally accepted, and seems to be a largely American Phenomena

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mdeadr...dreckoning.html

The other school of thought, with older historical references on their side, relates it to a point "Dead" in the water.

15. Dan Gross

Dan Gross New Member

I took efusco's text and put it together with LungCookie's pics to make a 1 page pdf. Looks fine printed B/W. Feel free to offer suggestions...

And thanks to driverx for the initial find!

16. popoff

popoff New Member

Great job!

Thanks.

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. As an Englishman, I'd say that "ded." sounds rather far-fetched to me. I always understood it to be "dead" in the sense of "absolute/complete".

I've never heard of anyone considering it otherwise. It sounds like a later US-invented false etymology.

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, not wanting to nitpick, but is there a review of how Dave's mod works? I know what it's supposed to do (and I have one on order), but AFAIK, nobody has one in their Prius to find out what it actually does.

I simply mean that, other than Dave, nobody at this time is able to say what the differences are. They may work the same way or be very different.

19. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO\";p=\"108672)</div>
    Etymologically speaking, the expression "dead reckoning" dates back to the seventeenth century. It was first called "deduced reckoning" and then was shortened to "ded." reckoning. Through the years people thought "ded" was misspelled and changed it to "dead". The subject is very controversial and no one seems to have a direct line on it. Should you care to read an interesting article on the subject, please go to: http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mdeadr...dreckoning.html

20. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I engaged the DriverX override in a subterranean parking garage and the map seemed to track accurately with no GPS signal. I couldn't go too fast since it was a parking garage, but it seemed to track relative to the vehicle speed. Isn't it possible that "override" just overrides the lockout?