1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wires.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by driverx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, I wish I would have read this thread before I too got brave.

I got here by clicking on the Load Application screen. The first US option seemed to do nothing, so I tried the second one just to see what it did, and now I'm stuck at the same point.

What's worse is that at 40.6k miles, I'm out of warranty, and can't blame it on some sort of glitch.

If you find out an easy fix, please advise.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of which item it loads from the disc, and not flashing the NAV memory w/ a new app (or waiting to do so).

2. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What's worse is that I've lost the ability to use bluetooth as well.

3. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

I've added a warning about this to the KB article.

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Spent some time at techinfo.toyota.com and that search turned up nothing.

Also looked at the NAV DVD again - my guess is that it's not finding what it wants in LOADING.KWI - I was hoping it would be as simple as renaming an image file, and burning a temp DVD.

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what I see now instead of a map.

Phone buttons don't work on wheel, neither does voice. Phone screens somewhat accessible from info screen, however buttons are not active and bluetooth connection is no longer established.

6. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy,

Well if you have nothing else to loose, you may want to disconnect all battery power and let the car sit for an hour or so. I would HOPE that when you reconnect the power, everything would come up in a default mode. However, I think that you MAY still have to figure out how to reload a number of items that are not in the default ROM(s) and update other items.

On the other hand, I believe that some folks have a NAV DVD from the upgrade process; maybe you could borrow one.

This is a computer with wheels after all...

Good luck!

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried disconnecting the N2 harness which provides the power (one closest to the driver's door on LHD cars) for about 30 seconds, no luck.

bretray mentioned that he noted a battery w/ a wire soldered to it. I'm guessing this will need to be disconnected in order to truly clear it. Unfortunately this probably means I'll lose my stored points, etc.

As for bluetooth, there may be hope - I found a place to do a memory clear (in an effort to fix this) wihch may explain why that's not working - simply re-pairing my phone to the car may solve that.

New Toyota manual disclosure - Warning, curiosity killed the NAV.

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Edited for clarity...
    FIXED IT :)

Howto to follow.

WARNING: Attempt this at your own risk!!! I take no responsibility for misinterpretation of these instructions which may lead to permanent damage to your NAV ECU or yourself. However, since you got this far in "breaking" your NAV, you're probably brave enough to fix it too!

Steps:

Pull NAV ECU:
    • Remove rear plastic cover by pulling plastic retaining clips/pins. I found two flathead screwdrivers helped with this.
    • Remove 4 8mm/philips screws, 2 on each side retaining ECU.
    • Remove 4 harness connectors at front of driver's seat.
    • You'll need to spread bracket just a tad in order to dislodge the ECU from the bracket.

• Open NAV ECU, perform "fix":
        • Remove 8 screws from the bottom of the ECU.
        • Cover is held in place by 1 tab on each side that fits around a small bump on the top cover. Using a small flathead screwdriver, spread the cover at the bump. The ECU cover should then tilt up and come right off.
        • With the plugs at the front, the left board is the NAV logic, and the right appears to be the AVC-LAN interface and power supply. There is a ribbon cable separating the two. These boards should lift right out, as the cover screws are holding them in place.
        • At whichever location is easiest, lift the retaining clip at one end of the ribbon cable connecting the power supply board to the "logic" board, then gently pull the ribbon cable free. This effectively disconnects the battery backup from the ECU.
        • I also spotted a black momentary switch on the power supply board. This may also be a reset/backup power interrupt, however being a multi-layer board, I couldn't easily follow the traces to double-check. For safe measure, I press and held this for a few seconds as well.
        • Re-insert the ribbon cable, ensuring that it's aligned correctly. Push the retaining clip back down to secure the cable.
        • Replace the boards, ensuring that the boards fit onto the alignment tabs. The power supply board was a bit tricky here.
        • Replace the cover. I found that securing the screws over the power supply board first helped to keep it aligned as mine wanted to pop out of place.
        • Replace the ECU, reversing the steps of removal.
        • Power on. You'll see on the NAV screen: Loading application, do not power off.
        • I then saw the "Agree" screen. Success!

• You'll need to restore all of your map points, but that's a minor inconvenience compared to the cost of a new NAV unit or a dealer visit. Hope this helps anyone else who was unfortunate enough to see what "loading" did.

Sorry for lack of pics, perhaps the next person to attempt this fix could photo-document this.

*mod edit: See this thread for pictures of the process:
            http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=33878&hl=

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were your BT numbers and pairing preserved or did you have to redo all that too?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and Well Done!!

11. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

Nice work!

The warning I put in the KB article has a link to this thread in case anyone else gets into trouble.

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, because I went through and did a memory clear elsewhere (can't remember exactly where), I'm not sure if that action cleared the BT pairing and numbers or if the NAV reset cleared it. I'm unsure as because even though the NAV was horked for a bit, I was able to (via the info button) get to the telephone screen. The data was gone at that time.

Perhaps the next person who trys this could verify.

13. exhuman

exhuman Member

Re: Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wir

htmlspinnr,
    I gotta send a high-five your way. Congrats on the adventure and especially the fix!

:clap:

14. vitium

vitium New Member

htmlspinner, now that you have the "fix" down, are you going to be trying anything else. I think everyone is very interested in what all of those buttons do.

15. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

You may also have to reset the region after the reset/load.

16. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I did have to reset the region, timezone, as well as all of my nav preferences (speeds, etc.)

I am not willing to try any other loads for now, since it was a pretty involved process. Perhaps in the future I can experiment further to see if we gain/lose any functionality. However now that it's a "documented" fix, perhaps others may be more adventureous.

I suppose next time I try I could also see if the momentary switch is a "reset" button.

17. hnational

hnational Junior Member

drivrx,
    Nice hack for the override! Now my wife and i can find a taco bell once we are already on the road (POI name).
    And to htmlspnnr (Rick) you are one brave man - thanks for posting your fix!
    can't wait to try the override!

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Ditto! I'm sorry it happened to you, I'm glad you were able to fix it and thank you for being able to share the fix.

19. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

wow, Rick; good on ya for figuring it out. that story tells me not to show my son the NAV hack. he's from the (video game) generation that doesn't read instructions, just plays!

rpm

20. bobm

bobm Junior Member

We did the override this am, set the destination on the fly - works great! thanks!

but . . . now the nav lady's voice is considerably less loud. we checked the volume and it's set about mid way with adaptive volume set to on. still, she's quite a bit softer.

anyone come across this?

bob