1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wires.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by driverx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

So that shows if you ever want to downgrade your DVD, you should be able to after a full reset.

It also shows the NAV code IS in the DVD, which means there should be a way to kill the I Agree by software. Maybe even permenantly kill the speed lockout.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wouldn't it be nice if there's a file on the DVD that enforces the legal stuff, and if a copy was made without that file or with an edited one, the system would just skip the "I agree"?

Hmmm, one of those double-layer burners was down to $60 the other day... :wink:

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in loading.kwi, which is about 55MB. If you can figure out how to reverse engineer this file, you'd be set.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Google search on LOADING.KWI reveals previous reverse-engineering results, but not enough success to justify buying a burner to experiment with.

If a new Blu-Ray burner still does dual-layer DVDs when they come out, I may get back to this. -RW would be nice for multiple tries...

5. brettray

brettray New Member

Re: Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wir

Thank You htmlspinnr!!!!!! :clap:

Your fix worked for me as well. I had actually taken my car the dealership this morning (it was the first appointment I could get). I had not checked this site for a while and had not yet seen your posts. When I did see your posts I called the dealership and talked to the tech who was working on the car. He had ordered a whole new navigation system and was very happy to hear of an easier fix. He was reluctant to return the car because he was unsure the fix would work. As a compromise I brought him a copy of the instructions and he did the fix. I was happy with that as it saved me some wrench turning.

In the end they called it a warranty repair and did not charge me anything. I was honest about what I had done to cause the problem because I wanted them to have as much information to work with as possible. They could have easily tried to charge me (I probably did void the warranty). The tech even said that the replacement NAV solution, at about $6K, would have been covered. Needless to say that I am very happy about the service I received. For those of you in the SF bay area, I can recommend the service at Dublin Toyota.

6. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Burners are cheap.
    I can burn dual layers with mine.
    I just have no clue how I would reverse engineer the file.

Does anyone know for sure it is a dual layer?
    They blank media is much more expensive, but single are super cheap.
    How much data is on one?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, definately dual layer, something like 9GB.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Past projects have involved using a file reader that shows the binary values of a file, and making guesses about what to change.

It would be lovely if some named block looked like the "I Agree" message, and somewhere else that block name was used in a way that looked removable, but I don't think it'd be that easy or someone else would have done it.

One website (can't relocate right now) claimed to show .KWI internals, but the pages wouldn't display for me...

9. exhuman

exhuman Member

Re: Found the way to override Navigation without cutting wir

I think the info at this site might be helpful in figuring out the loading.kwi
    I found it using google, but even when it's in English, it's still beyond me. Good luck.

http://kiwi-w.mapmaster.co.jp/index_eng.html

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I could read the words I Agree, but often with programming, the text data is not inline with the code. Instead, the code has a index pointer into where the text is that it needs.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I did notice on Coastal Dave's video demo of the NAV kit that it does not remove the "I Agree" screen, but is actually an automatic button pusher. It seems that the only way to remove it would have to be from the DVD itself.

The video, BTW, is at
    http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_enhancement.htm if you haven't seen it already.

12. nakman

nakman New Member

I tried this on our 2006 tonight and couldn't get it to work. Anyone know for sure if it works on 06, or know of the "new way" for 06 models? I'm aware of the purple wire mods but would prefer to use this type of workaround instead. tia..

13. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nakman @ Jun 28 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]278426[/snapback]</div>

You found a very old thread...there are many many threads stating that this does not work on the 2006. Coastal's module also does not work. Right now the only work around is the purple wires mod.

14. nakman

nakman New Member

good to know, thanks! first downside of the 06...

15. strapped4cash

strapped4cash New Member

What generation nav is in your car? I have the same problem but it seems like my hardware is different than yours. Has anyone accomplished the same solution with different nav ECU hardware? My post is here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Aug 3 2005, 08:21 AM) [snapback]113022[/snapback]</div>

16. mstevem

mstevem New Member

As everybody knows...
    1)Push MENU Button on bezel
    2)Tap the VOLUME soft button
    3)Tap top left of screen (where the speaker icon is), then the bottom left, then top left again and finally the bottom left again.
    4)The Service Menu should appear.
    5)Press and hold the Override soft button until it beeps and is highlighted.
    However, if you want to watch a DVD (I have a 2006 Sequioa) on the front screen add this.

While the vehicle is in motion
    1) Press the Audio button
    2) Lightly press the emergency brake
    3) While doing #3 above, press the picture button on the screen
    4) Let off the emergency brake.

It was fun to figure out. Worked great on a cross country trip, so my spouse could watch videos while I drove. I've been saving this info to try and barter with coastaltech to get something for my 2007 Prius Touring.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mstevem @ Jan 24 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]380289[/snapback]</div>
    Holly Guacamoli ~ this is an ancient thread. :D

18. Lyn24

Lyn24 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LungCookie @ Jul 14 2005, 09:18 PM) [snapback]107378[/snapback]</div>

19. willsurg

willsurg New Member

really, i have a 2007 and i have to say for 100.00 to costal tech and a wait of a little over a week, the gps override is worth the money and it does hit the i agree button automatically for you.

20. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So for a 2006/2007 there is no secret tap sequence?