1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found workaround for lack of Android Auto

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by MikeB134, Jun 24, 2021.

1. MikeB134

MikeB134 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Toyota tech support has no plans to push out Android Auto to our Primes if it doesn't already have it. I use Android, but I managed a passable workaround to get Google Maps (et. al.) on the big screen without converting to an iPhone.

That said; You'll still need an iPhone but don't need to activate or sign up for any services.

I asked friends in social media if anyone had any old iPhones in a drawer that they weren't using. Several offered cracked but functional devices.

I factory reset the iPhone and installed apps like Google Maps and Audible and connect it using my 2020 Prime's Carplay. Importantly; I set the iPhone to connect to my Android's wifi hotspot. I disabled all security (no PIN or fingerprint). I downloaded the offline map for the area where I generally drive.

Now, if I need Internet access when travelling out if my local area or playing audiobooks or podcasts, I turn in the Android WiFi hotspot.

It's clunky, but it's better than letting all that video real estate go unused. If you don't have a generous friend with an old, cracked iPhone, you can get them cheap on eBay.