1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Four civilians in orbit three days

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Still want a sky burial.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are any not still here, at least in majority part? The space travelers I've heard about, sent only small samples, leaving the bulk of themselves down here with us. Even Scotty's traveling portions will eventually return to the cycle, and comparatively soon.

If one means a currently non-cycling status, I can imagine that a number have been quite isolated from cycling, but plate tectonics or other speedier processes should eventually bring them back.
    If you want real bio-friendly, how about human composting? Now legal in 3 states, starting here last year.

We recently talked to a friend whose sibling took that route earlier this year. Not only did he very carefully choreograph and schedule his expiration so that medical researchers examining his very unusual terminal condition could get the freshest possible tissue samples, but he also carefully planned out where his compost buckets would be distributed. It turned out to be about a half ton of compost.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm essentially doing that by direct burial.
    I don't really have a problem with human composting, but I'm not going to be a purist about it either.
    A plain pine box (along with the contents) will be as bio-degradable as I need it to be and will be in keeping with local customs - ish.
    Tongues may wag a little bit when my fellow congregates figure out that monasteries aren't traditionally a Southern Baptist kinda thing, but then I've never really spent very many lumens of brain energy worrying about what others think.

Abbeys are a very economical place to get the boxes, and....hey it gives the monks something to do. :)

If I had James T. Kirk kinda money, I might be tempted to thumb a ride on Bezos' rocket, since there's a lot less buy-in than there was for the Inspiration-4 crew.
    OTOH....you could also buy a fairly spritely plane and a bunch of flying lessons for that much coin too.... ;)

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Clyde Tombaugh now past Pluto and Eugene Shoemaker on the moon, both only in part, seem to be the only actual Earth escapes so far.

Tons of metallic items* litter several planets and moons. More tons are in motion including one automobile. This process will ramp up in 2020s Moon and 2030s Mars.

*I suppose astronaut poop bags on Moon outweigh Shoemaker's ashes. Need to be figured into humanish escape total but Ima not agonna do it.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those are mostly bacteria.

tochatihu likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That is true and illuminates the 'pie chart' of stuff humans have exported so far. All the biologicals < one Hasselblad camera. So far :D

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This fred has reminded me of an entry in Douglas Adams's "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to The Galaxy":

"For years, the fabulously beautiful planet of Bethselamin increased its booming tourist industry without any worries at all. Alas, as is often the case, this was an act of utter stupidity, as it led to a colossal cumulative erosion problem. Of course, what else could one expect with ten billion tourists per annum? Thus today the net balance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete while on the planet is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave; so every time you go to the lavatory there, it is vitally important to get a receipt." :rolleyes::)

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps a Pomeii casket with the cadaver packed in dry cement. Burial in a high water table cemetery and soon a death body cast. Alternatively, high ground water grave in Salt River Canyon Oklahoma, a rich gypsum area for a slower body casting ... preservation of the skeleton.

Bob Wilson

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius