1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Four-time Tesla owner opts for Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Mar 31, 2021.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The winter air here is also much cleaner now than when I arrived in the '80s.

Winter inversions frequently cause air pollution to build up at ground level. Major improvements in automobile and home wood-burning emissions, plus a major reduction in home wood burning at all, mean that there is much less toxic pollution available to contribute to that build up.

SeattleBebop1 likes this.
  2. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My sister and I rented a place in Ballard with a wood-burning chimney. Never used it. One, we didn't want to clean it out. Two, our heater worked fine. Third, it's just a lot of inefficient pollution.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can confirm this as SouthEast Toyota Region had three in North Alabama. I tested the mid-range and went back the next day ... IT WAS SOLD! But they had the top-of-the line available.

A Google search found the one I bought in Rhode Island so I bought it and flew up to drive it 1,200 miles home. Previous Prius experience with SouthEastern Toyota Region had already convinced me they are anti-efficient cars even Toyotas along with loading cars with unwanted 'port options.'

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. tre4xw30

tre4xw30 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea. I want a Prius Prime Advanced. Those are the best.

SM-N986U1 ?

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any car must meet your individual requirements. In my case:
    1. Std Rng Plus Model 3 - has SuperCharger network and peak DC charging rate of 170 kW. Great power; AutoPilot; and plenty of interior space. The 220 mi EPA range means cross country via SuperCharger network is easy.
    2. BMW i3-REx - the peak DC charging rate is 50 kW BUT the Range Extender engine gives 70 mph @39-40 MPG. Easy access to interior and short coupled wheelbase. At 3,000 lbs and ~183 HP, it is a pocket rocket with dynamic cruise control. With 72 mile EV range, it is a '10 stop' car in town and ~1 hr 15 min. gas segments.
    3. Prius Prime - the 25 mi EV range means it is a '3 stop' car in town. With over 600 mi gas range, you can pass through high gasoline cost areas. Good internal volume but rear door access is less than the BMW. Driver assistance was just dynamic cruise control and a marginal lane departure alert ... more nanny than help.
    We own or owned these three cars and each has proven reliable and efficient. All three can handle 700-750 mi segments in a 'double shift' drive. If needed, they can cover 1,000 miles in a 24 hour drive.

Bob Wilson

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think so. This area, at least, is practically choked with Prii (and Teslas, btw). Most times while waiting at a traffic light, I see several other Prii. The local Toyota dealer usually has about a dozen Prii on the lot at a time. But I only see maybe half a dozen Primes on the road in the course of a year. A few weeks ago I came out of the grocery store to see a Prius parked on either side of my Prime and a Tesla parked nose to nose with me. Birds of a feather, I guess. :LOL:

SeattleBebop1 likes this.
  7. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If the Prime had a tiny bit more power and a wagon version, I would really have no major complaints about it. Love that it is small like a Corolla which makes it easy to park, is comfortable, has the typical Toyota layout that I'm used to, includes CarPlay, etc. It really only needs those two things mentioned above for me to be completely satisfied with it.

8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ahh, the advantages of the dealer model.
    And people wonder why Tesla has no dealers

Mike

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, but it's not the dealer either. The dealer says they want to sell them. They can't get the distributor to provide them.

BTW, my red Prime just got another unsolicited compliment today. :D

austingreen likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought they’re not available in Australia, only in NZ.

ozmatt likes this.
  11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

In the beginning, Toyota wanted to export cars to the US and wanted nationwide coverage but didn't have enough money to set that up so they sold distributor rights to what we now call SET (Southeastin Florida) and GST (Gulf States in Houston) to private companies which are their own profit centers. They order cars from the factory for the dealers in their zone and do a lot of collective advertising and financing.

I have gone out of the SET zone twice because their dealers couldn't get the car I wanted in the time frame I wanted at the price I wanted. No problems with service once I got back home from a SET dealer.

#111 mikefocke, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. I bought my Prime used, but they service it just as if they'd sold it. Although I don't give them much opportunity except alignments or brake service.

13. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    SET dealers where I live also have a supposedly “port installed” mandatory option called Toyoguard, overpriced paint and fabric protection and a couple of extra oil changes and tire rotations. Pure profit!

14. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    have to think you are right, never seen one personally