1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fox News scripted?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Nov 15, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You guys are all ignoring the obvious.

Of course it is biased for the VP to instruct his reporters on what they should be reporting on. Clear bias, no doubt. But we all know that. That by itself does not mean that what they report isn't true.

But MacCallum's report, which reflected the VP's request, was unsubstantiated. This is the kind of reporting done by the National Inquirer, not an organization that is to be taken seriously for news reporting! This is where FOX crossed the line into making up the news which is far different from merely being biased about it.

Show me an example of CNN doing something similar to what MacCallum did.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 17 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]350729[/snapback]</div>
    So if my "tunnel vision" is a result of also watching PBS, I'd say I have a very wide view. Apparently you do not know PBS and the Frontline program in particular. Most people from the USA would say PBS and Frontline do an excellent job at indepth reporting. If both ends of the political spectrum can get mad at them from time to time, I'd say they are quite balanced.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 17 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]350729[/snapback]</div>
    I am quite well traveled, thank you. Morocco is not on the list of places I have visited :( . But, can I substitute with Egypt, Kenya, Mauritius, South Africa, India, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE, Turkey, Yugoslavia, Greece, Spain, France, Italy, England, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland, Austria, The Philippines, Hong Kong, South Korea, China, Japan, Australia, Mexico, Bermuda, and Canada?

I know well traveled people who are extremely liberal and some who are extremely conservative.

Another liberal fallacy: Being well traveled will make you liberal.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The weird thing is that I don't think that news was *ever* just news.

Thing is, now we have the ability to link powerful visual imagry to the words, which can spin the message in a number of different ways, depending simply on how the piece is edited, and who narrates.

The other problem, it seems to me, is that the media has gotten so much more sophisiticated...relative to the level of the 'average' receipient of the news. Most folks just don't seem to have the will or interest to examine the news and modify their opinions based on new information.

Instead, we're all seeking sources that corroborate our existing views. I think we're all a lot more defensive about what we believe than we were earlier in our history...or, perhaps we've just got lots more latitude to express our beliefs.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Here is the Wiki version of the incident:

"Another leaked memo from Fox News executive John Moody, dated two days after the election in which the Democrats won back control of the U.S. House and Senate, recommended: '... let's be on the lookout for any statements from the Iraqi insurgents, who must be thrilled at the prospect of a Dem-controlled congress.' Within hours of the memo's publication, Fox News anchors were on-air with unsubstaniated reports of 'cheering' by insurgents in Iraq to news reports of the Democratic victory and the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld. This memo represents smoking-gun evidence of a conservative propaganda piece being ordered by a Fox executive, leading directly to a Fox television personality fabricating facts to fit the conservative bias of the Moody memo."