1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fram Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench (model FA102) proves useful

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, May 11, 2015.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2004 has logged 195.6K miles and it was time for another engine oil/oil filter change, after a week in Las Vegas. Unfortunately the stamped steel cap wrench that I had used for > 10 years on Toyota-branded oil filters (while changing oil on my 2001, 2004, and 2007 Prius) slipped on the installed filter.

I tried the cap wrench on the new filter and it fit tightly. I tried it again on the installed filter and the wrench continued to slip - weird.

So I went to the local Walmart, bringing the new oil filter along, to see what oil filter wrenches I could find. The Fram FA102 is priced at $5.97 and is an adjustable wrench which is supposed to fit 64 mm to 80 mm sizes. It is driven by a 3/8" socket extension and ratchet wrench. I decided to try that since the Toyota oil filter fits the 65-67 mm cap wrench.

As an alternate, I also bought the Fram FM101 cap wrench which fits 65-67 mm sizes, although I was less optimistic that would help since it functionally is the same as the cap wrench I already owned.

I found that the FA102 wrench works really well to grip the filter canister. As you turn the wrench counterclockwise, the sides of the wrench contract and therefore dig into the filter. In fact the wrench made a slight dent in the canister wall. Hence, there was no problem removing that balky filter.

Strangely, I was not able to find this wrench on the Walmart.com or fram.com websites. However, I recommend this wrench if you should find that a normal stamped steel cap wrench is insufficient.

Dino33ca likes this.
  2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Patrick: I think I may have found your "orphan." Not easy though, posted link below (SEE POSTS BELOW -- THIS FRAM WRENCH IS NOT THE ONE PATRICK IS POSTING ABOUT)

I was just sorting out my garage this past weekend (house full of four sister-in-laws, I had to escape) and was shaking my head at my collection of six different oil filter wrenches. It would be nice if I had purchased one that "did it all."

While looking for your elusive wrench, I did come across one spooky-looking wrench that may just work, I posted it below also.

Here's your orphan, first the link to the web page and then the photo:

Fram Oil Filter Cap Wrench, FM 102 - Walmart.com

[​IMG]

There are actually several different versions of the spacey wrench I found on Amazon -- some with rubber "grippers" over the jaws, some not. Here is one of the cheaper ones:

At the moment, I am hoping I am good for the rest of my life with the wrenches I already own.

#2 Stevewoods, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have one of those gripper type oil filter wrenches. I have found them to be much easier to use, especially in tight quarters, if you put a large, thick rubber band, like the ones they use to hold bunches of asparagus together, around the jaws to make them "hold" onto the filter before you start to turn the wrench. Otherwise, especially if your filter is mounted to the side of the engine, the jaws just slip on the filter and don't grip.

Stevewoods likes this.
  4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Outrageously good idea about using a rubber band around the gripper jaws! Have not used one of those type wrenches, but could "see" the problem and "see" your solution.

Actually, don't know why, but in the past several years, most of the time I am able to remove the filters without using any wrench at all.

xliderider likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Steve, that image you have is the FM, not the FA102, which apperently, is very elusive out in the interwebs. A Google search only turns up a small image from an old eBay listing. Perhaps Patrick will post a picture of the one he has? ;)

Stevewoods likes this.
  6. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm going with the oversized filter an Ultra XG3600. It's easier to get a bigger filter off!

7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AAARRRGHH: -- DOPE SLAP --

Yes, I put up the wrong model number....and the FA 102 is even harder to find than the one I posted. I found that EBay pix. Not a lot of help, but I wonder if this Matco is a close match? Patrick?

ADJUSTABLE OIL FILTER WRENCHES OF636 | Matco Tools

[​IMG]

Patrick Wong likes this.
  8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    big channel locks work good, but you will mangle the old filter.

also harbor freight sells oil filter pliers pretty cheap that work on most canister filters.

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may be more agile than I, but with the Prius, channel locks and the pliers (I have a pair) don't really have any room to grip -- of course, I am lying on my back with the car up on a two inch block of wood....anyway, as said, lately, I really don't need a wrench at all to remove the filters.

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Old shade tree mechanic's trick: When you have a "cup" type filter wrench that slips on the filter. Add a couple of wraps of masking tape to the filter. Apply it sticky-side-out so it sticks to itself as you wrap it around. That way it adds further tack as it meets the filter wrench.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I owned one of those in the distant past and it broke, so I do not recommend that design.

Steve, that is exactly the same wrench as the one that I bought, except the Matco price is 2.5x the Walmart price... In case it is not obvious by looking at that photo, the curved steel "bites" into the filter at four places as the filter wrench is rotated counterclockwise, to secure a good grip on the canister.
    An excellent idea. I thought of using electrician's tape on the filter, as I was driving home from Walmart with my two new filter wrenches. However this new wrench worked so well that I did not have to try that.

When installing the new filter, the Toyota spec is to rotate the filter 3/4 turn (270 degrees) after the gasket first touches the machined flange. I usually turn the filter 1/2 turn (180 degrees) or maybe slightly more (200 degrees), using the weaker of my two hands to rotate the filter clockwise. However I do not find it easy to remove the filter by hand after it has been on for 7,500 miles especially when the filter is warm... So I use a filter wrench to remove the old filter.

#11 Patrick Wong, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015