1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fram vs OEM Cabin Air Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Winston, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I replaced my cabin air filter with one made by Fram. While Fram's oil filters are overpriced, I think their air filters are very good. The cabin air filter is no exception, it is much better than the OEM Toyota filter. I bought mine from rockauto.com. I have bought many parts from them and their prices are good and service is good too.

Main benefits of the Fram filter vs the Toyota OEM filter.

The Fram has;
    -More pleats than the toyo (27 vs 20)
    -rigid frame with foam edges to ensure a better seal
    -photographic step-by-step instructions for installation
    -baking soda and carbon impregnated paper to reduce odors
    -Price is $13.15 + shipping.

Clearly the Fram blows away the Toyota filter. I bought a Fram intake air filter at the same time. When I change it I will do another comparison to the Toyota air filter.

Here are some comparison photos of the Cabin air filter.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice comparison...where did you order from?

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto

I order all my auto parts from them. Nice online catalog and great prices on everything.

Hey, my Rockauto link automatically changed to add the "autoparts fast at...". How did that happen?

4. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe nice. But I get:

[Error] Unable to display this page

On every part I tried to look at.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link but by the time you pay for shipping it's the same as getting an air filter from my Toyota dealer

6. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Fram makes good stuff! I've used their oil filters (From the PH-1 to today's tiny filters) on a number of cars for years, without a single problem.
    Their air filters have always fit correctly and done a great job. My Saturn did much better with Fram filters then any the dealer could provide.
    I will try that Cabin Filter in the Prius, just as soon as I can find them!

7. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked under 'Toyota, 2004, Prius, Heat & A/C, Cabin Air Filter' and the Fram one is not (or no longer) listed. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Al

8. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I love ordering from Roackauto parts. I've spent hundreds of dollars ordering parts for my 95 SHO. :eek:

FRAM filters are top notch. I've changed my oil on the Prius 2X already using FRAM filters. Thanks for the pic...I made sure to remember to part number.

okcwxguy likes this.
  9. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The OP used a CF10132 filter, as you can clearly see in the picture of its box.

11. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you search the Fram site, you wind up with "NO RESULTS" for that number???

12. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, Fram and Rockauto seem to be confused about the part number issue. They list the CF10132 for the 2006-2008 Pruis only. However, I think the cabin filter for the 2004-2008 Prius is the same.

On the Fram site, if you search for 10132 you get "no results" if you search for "cf10132" you get the filter.

One thing I know for sure, the CF10132 (as shown in my photos) fits my 2007 Prius perfectly.

As far as the comment about shipping, it is true that it adds significantly to the cost. However, a lot of people would rather order online than going to the dealer(like me), and if you combine it with a few other items you can easily make up for the shipping and tax cost. To each his own....

13. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I figured it out the CA10132 is the "Extra Life" filter, while the CF9846A is the "Fresh Breeze" filter. The extra life does not have the baking soda and carbon. I know the box shown has the 10132 number on it but the Fram site shows this as a "regular" filter. I don't know, but I'll bring my filter into the store with me when I comes time to change it, that should avoid the confussion. Price will ultimately make up my mind, I'm not paying a whole lot more for baking soda and carbon!

Confussion came into play when the original thread poster mentioned and I quote:
    "The Fram has;
    -More pleats than the toyo (27 vs 20)
    -rigid frame with foam edges to ensure a better seal
    -photographic step-by-step instructions for installation
    -baking soda and carbon impregnated paper to reduce odors
    -Price is $13.15 + shipping."

But he got the super dupper filter???

14. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sparrow,

I think the Fram web site is screwed up. As you can see from the photo of the filter and its box, the CF10132 is clearly the "fresh breeze" filter which has the baking soda and carbon.

BTW carbon and baking soda are both effective at removing various smells and chemicals from the air. Not that there is enough of either in the filter to last very long....:roll:

15. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Fram oil filters on the Prius. The Fram # is PH-4967 & it's the standard filter. I pd. $3.70 @ W-mart. I also use full syn. Mobil 1 oil. I changed the syn. oil last week @ 29,700 miles & as usual all is well. I change my oil every 25,000 miles & have done this on all of my cars for about 20 yrs. with NO engine problems. I am very strict on changing the oil filter every 5,000 miles. I have also noticed that my 2006 Prius uses no oil to speak of. I know some of you have different thoughts on the amt. of time the syn. oil is in the eng. between changes, but it works extremely well for me. I pd. $15 for a cabin filter & $12 for the air filter from Metro. How does that compare $$ wise to RockAuto?

16. wag

wag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know this is an Air Filter thread, but you may want to consider the information on this site for your oil filter needs.

Wayne

17. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This thread is getting more off topic, but I want to take issue with a couple statement.

First of all, stating that you have "had no problems" with x air filter, or x oil filter does not mean anything. You could replace your air filter with a window screen or take out the internals of your oil filter, and you would probably have "no problems".

Almost all oil filters will work "fine". However, some are a better value than others. I am talking about the quality and quantity of the filter media, the materials of construction, and the price for the quality you are getting. Fram filters are moderately priced, but they generally have less filter media than other, cheaper filters and the quality of the media is marginal. You can use Fram oil filters for years and years, but you can get better filters for less money with nearly any other brand of filter.

A walmart "SuperTech" filter is about $2.25 and has better filter media, more filter media than a Fram. It also has metal endcaps. I use ST filters.

While 25K miles using Mobil 1 in a Prius might be OK. You really have no idea until you do an oil analysis.

18. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is awesome! 25K oil changes...but then you are using synthetic, so you have the advantage there. ;) Yes you are right about the part # for the FRAM filter. I got mine at Advance Auto, but I paid 0.70 cents more. The last time I went to Wally Mart they didn't have it in stock. I may try to order the cabin filter from Advance Auto, perhaps they can special order the filter and they usually do not charge extra.:D

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Change the link to (no 'Window') and it goes to the 'right' page. Honeywell Consumer Products Group - Part Details

However, this is not the Fresh Breeze Winston showed. This one looks fairly similar to the Toyota filter, only it is gray (maybe it has charcoal in it?). The Fram (actually at Honeywell by now) site has Fresh Breeze listed on both part numbers and has no picture of the CF10132. They could certainly do a MUCH better job of describing their products.

Just to be CONFUSING!!!:
    Amazon shows a Fresh Breeze part number FCF9846A and other than having a picture with the wrong shape (rectangular, I presume they have only 1 picture for the Fresh Breeze line), it looks VERY much like the picture Winston posted from his CF10132 box and NOTHING like the picture of the CF9846 on the Fram site. Plus, the Amazon site says the FCF10132 doesn't fit a 2004 Prius. So much for thinking I had some clue on this!

20. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like the Toyota OEM filter myself. Unless you have problems with mice (Cyberprius?) and the filter gets chewed up, all you have to do every 5,000 miles or so is to pull the filter out, wash it in the sink with a bit of dish washer soap, and put it back in.