1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

France curbs Paris car drivers to combat dangerous smog

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Mar 16, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Prius? I understand the exhaust emissions can be better than the air at the intake.

A couple of days ago I was following an Alabama pickup that smelled so bad of fumes, I probably could have run it into the Prius and the mixture controller would have given me another 5 MPG.

Bob Wilson

walter Lee and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PM pollution is probably combination of many sources and factors.
    - weather - warm, sunny and dry
    - home heating (old wood furnace) - it's still winter
    - road transport
    - industry

So what can you do? The simplest short term solution is to transfer as many people as possible from cars to public transport.

I red somewhere that Hybrids were allowed no mater the licence plate, good to hear.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    including the diesel Peugeot hybrids?

4. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Agree, and the warm, sunny, dry weather is actually the main factor. It's usually accompanied by a subsidence inversion which would effectively preclude vertical dispersion over that particular region.

5. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read it in local media, that EV, hybrids and any car with 3 or more occupants are allowed.

6. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If the Paris public transport is as easy to use as DC, then I'd be happy to leave my car home, but if it sucks like Baltimore and L.A., then I'd find a new job outside the city. (In other words Patis' behavior is driving away employees.)

Also in response to post #1;

Euro-Diesel standards have only been clean since circa 2010, so there's still a lot of cars that are the equivalent of transitional LEV rating. That's why there's a lot of NOx coming from the old fleet.

rUS diesel standards are now better than EU standards with cars like the Jetta getter rated as clean as its gasoline equivalent.)

7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Repeat for those who say "clean diesel" is an oxymoron : Greenercars.org rates a diesel Jetta *just as clean* as the gasoline Jetta : 48 out of 100 points. (For comparison the Prius is 57 and the Tesla is only 38.... that's right:less clean than a diesel.). The reason diesel is rated so high is because it now had NOx, CO neutralization. PLUS soot filters which no gasoline car has (and should).

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The gasoline Jetta does not have a 'soot filter?'

Does a soot filter factor in the Greenercars ranking?

BTW, I can not put my finger on it but "Greenercars" makes me uncomfortable. The name, "Greener. . .", "Board of Directors", and "Research Advisory Board" has something . . . not quite right:
    • "Greener . . ." - has a competitive attitude to it. Then it looks like their only product is a press release ranking vehicles by their standard. In fact, it looks like a wholey-owned subsidiary of another dodgy group, ACEEEs.
    • "Board of Directors" and "Research Advisory Board" - looks like a core of Washington DC area names garnished by retired individuals with a variety of unconnected, technical backgrounds. It looks like a scoop of tuna salad surrounded by a disconnected garnish . . . technical, yes, but disconnected from cars and transportation.
    "Greenercars" reminds me of the "Green Human" group in Seattle who turned out to be an 'astroturf' front for an advertising agency. Their claim to fame was to run an NHW20 and Jetta Diesel fuel efficiency race 8,000 miles stopping at VW dealers to 'interview' people about the Jetta.

In the age of Internet, there is an abundance of dodgy sources. I've learned some are easily spotted and others work hard to hide their goals and objectives. I hate to sound paranoid but 'I get an uneasy feeling' about them even if it appears they like the Prius. I recommend 'grain of salt'.

Now if Edmunds or Cars.com were cited or GreenCarCongress, I respect those sources. GreenCarCongress is more of a collection and publisher of abstracts but they do a good job of weeding out the worst.

Bob Wilson

9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ACEEE has been around for ~25 years. Criticizing that group makes as little sense as criticizing Greenpeace or the California Air Resource Board. They are all pro-environment. (I label them as ultra-liberal.)

No, gasoline Jettas do not have soot/particulate matter filters. Only diesel Jettas carry them, because the soot/PM output is regulated, and a diesel Jetta would exceed the limit without the filters. (With the filters, it emits only 10% as much soot as a gasoline direct injection engine. Very clean.)

And yes of course greenercars factors soot into the lifecycle (manufacturing-to-junkyard) analysis of greenercars ratings. It is part of the ULEV and SULEV and PZEV rating system which they use to calculate a car's pollution output.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I looked up the Jetta on fueleconomy.gov

Both petrol and diesel versions of the Jetta account for a combined upstream + tailpipe GHG of ~ 300 grams/mile;
    The Prius is ~ 225 grams/mile.
    If you think it will help your case feel free to look up other tailpipe pollutants.

So if your website ranks the Jetta as 'greener' than a Prius then it is corrupt, incompetent, or both.

Oh and by the way, *LEV ratings are ONLY tailpipe emissions.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We're coming from different goals and objectives. I've always been interested in efficiency, always. Burning less fuel is intrinsically cleaner than burning more. There is less that requires a secondary systems to process. But as for ACEEE, Greenpeace, and even the California Air REsource Board, I really don't trust any of them because efficiency is not their goal. I don't care if they are left, right, or walking around in circles babbling to themselves. But one thing I know for sure, they don't understand efficiency like an engineer would define.
    The only reason I touched on exhaust filters is it came in the same paragraph discussing the Jetta diesel and Jetta gas cars. Equal emissions but the gas car doesn't have a filter. But about direct gasoline injection, I'm not a fan.

I've read many articles about various lean-burn and combustion tricks. I still follow the technology but often they have failed due to complexity, narrow operating range, or unforeseen implementation details like an exotic material, 'unobtainium.' The hydrogen fool-cell comes to mind.

If they meet your information needs, go for it. Just I prefer different sources like Edmunds, GreenCarCongress, and empirical, engineering and scientific sources.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  12. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Duplicate post..... forum error.

13. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I noticed someone said "Clean gasoline cars are also an oxymoron." Not really..... there are several gasoline cars that are rated PZEV emissions (equal to a Prius or Civic hybrid), and on greenercars.org are almost as clean as the Leaf EV (and more clean than the Tesla EV at 38/100).

Greenercars is a life cycle analysis from birth-to-recycling of the whole cars pollution impact. They publish a book almost 500 pages long filled with empirical data and scientific analysis.

Edmunds is a joke..... like getting green/environmental data from Jeremy Clarkson (the guy who falsely-claimed his Tesla ran out of charge).

14. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here we go again, "10%" in quantity, quality...etcetera... discussion...:cautious:

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is the inside of your Prius' tailpipe spotless? Is that before or after scrubbing it out?;) All engine, gas and diesel, emit particulates. Even CNG ones emit some. An unfiltered diesel emitted a lot. A filtered one still emits some during a drive. It is less than most gasoline engines, but the chemical differences mean the gas particles aren't visible coming out of the tailpipe. That doesn't make them less harmful than diesel particles.

Direct Injection gas engines do emit more particulates than a filtered diesel. Enough that they will be requiring a filter in the future. Assuming lobbyists don't get the implementation date pushed back. Port injection cars also emit, but at levels considered safe. We don't know how many models emit more or less than a filtered diesel because testing isn't mandatory.

Diesel cars(passenger vehicles) sold in the US are as clean as gasoline ones because they have to adhere to the same standards. (Before the counter points of 'dirtiest gasoline' start, look up what the Toyota's non-hybrid cars, the majority that they sell, are rated in a Federal emission state.) European emission standards are behind the US for diesel. Euro 6 will be a big a catch up. While there are compliant models available now, Euro 6 isn't official yet.

So European cities will have a problem with air pollution from older diesels. (Don't forget France barred gasoline cars in Paris too.) There is probably a fair number of Euro 3 compliant cars still being driven around daily. Until those cars come off the road, that is how it will be. In the US, a large chunk of emissions from cars is due to the old gas ones driving around. Just because there is 10 year old cars, and even ones with carburetors, still driving around, doesn't make the new ones on dealer lots just as dirty.

Do not forget that it has taken decades to get cars as clean as Prius. All that time and money spent on cleaning up the gasoline exhaust has helped in cleaning up diesel exhaust. It will still take time to improve the performance and cost of diesel emission systems. Then, barring an effort to speed the process up, it will take time before the old dirty diesels are retired.

16. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some graphics which may clarify the particle emissions from the various gasoline and diesel engine technologies...

This is a graphic of PFI and GDI particle emissions...

[​IMG]

Source: Walter Piock, Guy Hoffmann, Axel Berndorfer, Patrick Salemi and Bernd Fusshoeller; "Strategies Towards Meeting Future Particulate Matter Emission Requirements in Homogeneous Gasoline Direct Injection Engines." SAE International, 2011-01-1212

Here is a graphic of filtered (DPF) and unfiltered European-spec diesel cars...

[​IMG]

AU = Artemis Urban
    AEU = Artemis Extra-Urban
    AH = Artemis Highway

Source: Karlsson, "Measurement of Emissions from Four Diesel Fuelled Passenger Cars Meeting Euro 4 Emission Standards." AVL MTC Motortestcenter AB, Sweden, October 2005

Notice that the filtered diesels (Peugeot and Citroen) are well below the Euro 5b/Euro 6 regulated limit of 6X10^11 particles/km.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not? Euro 6 diesel is virtually the same as the Prius emissions. And contrary to posts by others, Euro 6 diesel cars can be purchased now. Euro 6 applies to new models sold/released in 2014. Some models met Euro 6 previously, but were rated Euro 5; Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW etc.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I support sustainable fuel production, and in that regard diesel seems to have an advantage. I also believe that plug ins will be the solution for most person vehicle needs. Until they have the numbers to make an impact, hybrids can do a great job of reducing emissions and foreign petroleum dependency.

But hybrids simply aren't going to work for everyone. Whether because of actual needs or irrational reasons some will not buy a hybrid. Better to give them options without limiting it by fuel type. I know diesel fanboi's felt threatened by hybrids and some were trollish here. Getting defensive and villianizing new diesels with outdated info isn't going to help progress though.

That study is nearly two years old. No one is denying that Paris and Europe has a problem with pollution from their diesel fleet. The fact that most of the particulates come from diesels should be surprising. Diesels are common there. Gasolines are common here, and, guess what, similar studies done in the US have found the majority of particulate emissions come from gasoline engines.

One of diesel's, at least past, advantages over gasoline engines was longer service life. Unless steps are taken to get the older, pre-emission control models off the road, they are going to be around longer. Meaning regulation changes will take longer to have an impact.

In regards to the current smog problem in Paris, the particle emissions of diesels likely have little roll in it. Soot from Coal burning had a role in past smog problems, but modern smog is a reaction of pollutants to form ozone and particles. The main culprits are NOx and VOCs. The main supplier of NOx will likely be the diesels, though European gasoline cars could be emitting more than American ones. Gasoline will contribute more VOCs than diesel by being more volatile, but there are plenty of non-transportation sources for them.

Now, America isn't Europe. Diesel cars were never popular here. Even when the diesel prices were lower. So there are fewer old diesels spewing pollutants to impact overall overall air quality. The greater number of older gasoline cars have a bigger effect. Because of ULSD and current regulations, diesels sold now will just as bad as most of the gasoline cars sold. The emission control technology for diesel is still young, and it is likely we will see improvements going forward.

Even though diesel cars are going to get cleaner in the US, there impact to overall air quality will still be small. Diesel passenger vehicle sales only get around 1%, or a third of hybrids annual sales. Even with expanding options for consumers, higher purchase and fuel prices will keep their numbers low.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just the opposite -- I can understand people choosing Euro6 diesels. The earlier support is less than debatable.