1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frankenstein GEN 1 2002 prius code P3191 P0141 P0125 and power steering shake

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by blake9809, Mar 21, 2023.

1. blake9809

blake9809 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    ok so now that i somewhat understand what the code means and now my heads in a pretzel o_O should i leave this alone or should i try to solve the issue causing the code? If so what should i try

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm strongly in favor of solving issues as they arise. Otherwise your car becomes this slowly growing heap of issues you've decided to ignore, and has warning lights always on so you can never tell if there's a new one, and it's halfway to jalopy status.

The troubleshooting steps for that code in the repair manual run to five pages.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

3. blake9809

blake9809 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    SE

Its winter again and the electric steering is starting to shake at low speeds. I am going to disconnect the power steering computer today. Do i need to unplug all 4 connectors or just any single one?

Attached Files:

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You kind of have your choice of unplugging the torque sensor (that plug has skinny wires) as the ECU won't send any motor signals if it's getting no torque input, or just unplugging the motor (that plug has fat wires) so it can't send any motor signals. Or just unplug everything from the steering ECU and put it on your bookshelf. Yes, all of that by definition puts the steering completely in limp mode, but then that's the idea.

5. blake9809

blake9809 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    ok got ya, i tried unplugging some wires today. Easy to find the module and also unplug the wires but got the annoying triangle and PS on screen. So i decided i am going to leave it plugged in for now but now i know what to do and how easy it is to unplug in case it gets a lot worse or wont stop.