1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fraudulent HOV Green sticker prius spotted

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by knckdwntxt, May 17, 2014.

1. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhat relevant - People Behaving Badly

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the point of the video? I don't see the connection of cars with one driver and needing 3 people to go into the HOV lanes. While the HOV sign was shown, it's not clear from the traffic that they were entering an HOV lane, unless the sign shown in the angle of the three lanes is not legible to see on the video. It appeared they were all merging to get on the freeway. But if they were getting on the HOV access, where is the enforcement?

3. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the HOV only onramp to the Bay Bridge leaving San Francisco. Hundreds of non-HOV compliant vehicles use this onramp during the restricted hours 3PM - 7PM Mon - Fri, every week. Enforcement is lax, about 3-5 times a month so the ramp is jammed with cheaters. When the CHP does enforce it's a nasty $1000+ fine even though the minimum posted fine is lower.

4. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for clarifying. Seems to me a camera system could be used here and the cost of install would be paid for in short order! If it can be used on toll roads (in SoCal where I used to live), why not HOV lanes?

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem is that a camera cannot count passengers, particularly kids in the back seat, who may not be visible to the camera.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Might wanna check some of the posts here from member 'pEEf' - his stickered Prius is Gen II. That's the long winded way to say yes - there are non-oem's out there with stickers - legally.

7. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Um, please show me a post with his Gen II with a GREEN sticker. The pics from him I've found have no stickers.

rogerv likes this.
  8. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Saw another green sticker today on what seemed to be a gen II.

9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    note the number of stickers (too few)…most likely there's another household member who has an actual PHV and is "sharing" the love.

I know personally a guy who has a white sticker on his 60's Beetle because it is an electric conversion. However, as was pointed out later in the thread, the warranty requirements for the GREEN stickers make it virtually impossible for any conversion to be eligible for them.

10. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know what it is about this week, but I've seen my first two fake green HOV stickers this week. Two days ago I saw a black gen3 prius with green HOV stickers in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Brea, which was clearly fraudulent as Toyota doesn't make a black PiP.

This morning I saw a white gen 3 prius on the 57 Northbound right before the 91 with green HOV stickers, but without an electric plug nor the satin silver markings of a PiP. However the placement of the rear sticker was different than the one in the OP.

11. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I believe that displaying fake HOV stickers is a misdemeanor in CA.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  12. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I saw one today. I took a pic, but my side mirror got in the shot.

Plate #s are 7FCS147 on a White Prius. Going southbound on the 405.

13. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Saw another one last night. I called CHP to see what I should have done. They said to call 911 and they will take care of the driver. Not sure if I want to tie up our local law enforcement over a small misdemeanor, but it does tick me off that people purposely pass their Prius as a PIP.

14. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Guess who I spotted yesterday afternoon right outside Toyota of Orange...
    IMG_20141012_171608.jpg IMG_20141012_171611.jpg IMG_20141012_171616.jpg
    (Sorry lighting sucks, I might try to fix it up slightly in Photoshop later if I feel like it)
    EDIT: Finally got around to cleaning up the pictures a bit:
    IMG_20141012_171608_edited-1.jpg IMG_20141012_171611_edited-1.jpg IMG_20141012_171616_edited-1.jpg

#74 PriusC_Commuter, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  15. Chabelo

Chabelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I love to slow down, turn on my flashers and POINT at HOV cheaters I literally yell " LOOK He's RIGHT THERE" pointing my finger at them, pretending that I see a cop. Scares the crap out of the cheater and they immediately GTFO of the HOV lane...

tattle on, here in N. Ca the HOV lane rules are rarely enforced, cheaters are getting more bold and more common..

16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not only do they ignore the HOV rules, they cross the double-white lines with abandon. And apparently, many do not realize that you cannot cross the double-white lines even when the HOV rules are not in effect. Enforcing this would be a good revenue source, since this is a moving violation with about a $450 fine plus insurance points. If the HOV lane is in effect, this is a separate non-moving violation with a fine of about $450. On some HOV lanes, enforcement is difficult, since there is nowhere to pull over: there is no shoulder on the left, and there is the double-white stripe on the right.

17. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've seen cops pull people over from HOV lanes. They all do the same as being pulled over from all other lanes. They cross the solid white and yellow line then to the right shoulder.

18. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The newest lanes - and apparently this is the direction Cal Trans is going - makes the HOV lane look exactly like an auxiliary lane by using fat rectangular striping to separate it from other lanes. The idea is to indicate that enter and exit movements are permitted as opposed to double white or yellow lines indicating they are prohibited. The stripes are probably double the length of those used for aux lanes, but just from observations there are many who can't tell the difference and think they're getting into an "exit" lane - at least here in the far southwest corner…

19. Manish

Manish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Spotted on Nov 3 2014, Fremont Costco (Pacific Commons).

Attached Files:

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld .... he's so flushed with millions that he regularly parks illegally - as the ticket cost is so insignificant - it's simply his cost for premium parking.

As for tattle tales - switching - being a rat- squeeler - dropping the dime - throwing 'em under the bus, etc. Why do you think there are so many derogatory terms? Society trains us that for whatever reason, for the most part, this is socially unacceptable behavior. Organized crime members kill people for doing it. Schoolyard children tease kids for doing it. This is just an observation .... not a declaration of right or wrong. However I am reminded of a parable where a bunch of Pharisees brought a prostitute (a crime punishable by stoning to death) allegidly "caught in the act" to the Lord. His response was something to the effect, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. One by one - folks dropped their stones & went home. I guess the message is yeah we all do bad stuff on occasion .... like doing 10 or 15mph over the speed limit when they spot the solo HOV Lane driver - in a Porsche. I guess that's our nature we like to either get away with stuff - or be shown grace if we're caught, and yet we want to drop the hammer of judgment on other people. I do like me some irony.
    :)

#80 hill, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014