1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Freak incident with Yakima roof rack.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by burstaneurysm, Sep 9, 2013.

1. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I put my roof rack on last week to transport a mattress.
    When I was driving home, I avoided the highway just to be safe. It turned out to be a wise move.

The road I was on was undergoing construction and I was doing 35, with a moderate headwind. As I reached a bump from the resurfacing, the mattress flew off my car and landed in the road.
    I stopped and backed up, when I went to retrieve the mattress, the roof rack was still tied to the mattress. The entire rack was ripped clean off of the car.

Fortunately, there was minimal traffic and nobody else was involved in the incident.
    I threw the rack in the car and strapped the mattress directly to the roof and continued home.
    The next morning, I went out to inspect the car and rack. The rack is trashed, three of the four Q-Towers are missing their feet and the clip housing is in bad shape. Amazingly, the car didn't even suffer a scratch.

I must've caught a nasty updraft and the rack was lifted out from the door frame. The clips for the Prius have a way shallower angle than the clips from when the rack was on my xB.

When I installed the rack, I spent a couple hours making sure it was installed to Yakima's specs. I tightened the rack down and locked the towers.

My fiancee called Yakima today to inform them of the incident. The rep acknowledged that the Prius isn't a great candidate for the Q-Tower rack, in fact, as of May 2013, they have stopped recommending that system for the Prius. He requested photos of the rack and offered to replace the rack, along with clips to fit her 2008 xB.

TL;DR Roof rack flew off my car, zero damage to the car, roof rack destroyed, Yakima will provide a replacement for our other car.

JMD likes this.
  2. tplife

tplife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good grief, I was considering that setup until I realized it would kill my mileage and went with the hitch/cargo box instead. Sorry to hear about your misfortune - and that I wasn't out riding my Harley behind you! :)

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I watched a couple of kayaks take flight from a Toyota pickup years ago on I-84 near Hartford. Pulled the 2 X 4 constructed rack out of the bed pockets with them and sailed over the car following immediately behind.
    It was something to see!

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Youch! I wonder if my Thule is any better. Same concept, different manufacturer.