1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Freaking Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by justincmd, Oct 22, 2005.

1. priusish

priusish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you don't mind buying in Nashville,TN, let me know. i work at Beaman Toyota.

2. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow
    its amazing that in other parts of the country the final price tag is over MSRP, and as if that were not enough, some places its quite a few grand over the MSRP. I guess I am lucky to be buying in NH where all dealers i have contacted so far are selling only at MSRP, no more, and i guess its too much to expect any less.
    I guess if too many people do not give in to this thievery by the dealers, they will be forced to sell at MSRP. Wonder whether Toyota has any say in the matter here ?

3. keeponrunning

keeponrunning New Member

javascript:add_smilie(%22:wacko:%22)

uhhhh... if you were really following these forms for a week even you would know that paying MSRP is stock standard on this car, the dealership is not crazy, and if you can find one dealership in America willing to sell Prii for invoice, I'll fly there tomorrow and buy every single one on their lot.

In Alabama the dealers are selling for a minimum of 2000 over invoice... most are at 2500 (non negotiable). And they have a 4 month waiting list at that markup.

Why would they sell one to you at invoice when they can and do sell the for full MSRP every chance they get? :wacko:

4. shawn7

shawn7 New Member

I feel your pain. I live in Beaufort SC.. about an hour and a half south of you. I was in talks w/the same dealership. And I was willing to drive their to get the color of my choice. But, after speaking w/them over the phone and the manager just deciding to go up on prices (Middle of September). I canceled my order.

Good Luck on your purchase.
    ~Shawn

5. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

This seemed to be the philosophy of the dealer at which I placed my order (tanksy toyota). I mentioned the issue of people paying more than MSRP, I was impressed either my sales person was truly disgusted by the idea or the best actor I have ever met. He simply seemed appauled that this would occure. When I mentioned well perhaps they are paying to get it sooner he simply replied "they can wait their turn" That kind of attitude about pricing inspired an increased level of trust in this dealer and sales person... now to see when it comes in if everything is as honest and straitforward.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I paid MSRP last month for a package 4 with no extra stuff except the expensive floor mats which I wanted, that was in Pasco, WA, they seem like a good dealer. There is another good dealer in Hermiston, OR that charges "only" MSRP. Both of these have waiting lists but I think both are reasonably honest, at least as far as car dealers go.

Charging over MSRP is not a new practice however, I bought a Honda Prelude in 1984, 4 month waiting list, $300 over MSRP. Best handeling car I ever owned though, I drove it for 13 years.

7. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i just purchased a new 05 red salsa on friday (oct 14) from Earl Stewart Toyota in north palm beach, fla..... they advertise that they dont charge extra dealer fees.......they were allotted a shipment of 19 cars & i was 17 on the list....so i chose the one i got......
    i wasnt charged the toyo guard.....i got what i asked for......an option 5 prius with no real add-ons ......it did have the carpets..(i was going 2 buy them anyway) i was quoted a price & when i went to pick it up......it was about $200 cheaper!!! if i take my car back to this dealer for all the servicing i will be given tires & batteries (not the hybrid) for the life of the car!!! i was treated extremely well......this was the best buying experience for a care i have ever had!!! they also ship anywhere.......so if interested give them a call...........david silverstein was my contact
    http://www.earlstewarttoyota.com ...i wasnt pressured to buy the extended warranty or prepaid maintenance.... was i asked? yes --twice.... i was very comfortable with my choices.....& if i ever need another car.......this is where i will go........great customer service! they claim to get one of the largest shipments in the area.......& out of all the surrounding dealerships.......their cars move the fastest! i checked...& in the month of october they will recieve over 500 prii .......most are sold before reaching the port in jacksonville!
    :D :lol: :rolleyes:

8. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Where I live there are 5 Toyota dealerships within about 25 miles. I checked 4 of them when I priced my 2006. The first one I went to charged $3000 over invoice. They sell every single Prius they get, they never have one on the lot and they do a lot of Prius business. I decided to check the others and found 3 of the other dealers were selling at MSRP. I placed my order with one of the other dealers.

The point of my message is to look around. Don't be discouraged by the first dealer you come across. You will find a dealer that is willing to sell for MSRP without a markup. But you won't get much of a discount below MSRP anywhere, at least not one that is measurable. You might get one at $100 off MSRP just so you could say you didn't pay MSRP, but it doesn't seem possible to get one for much below MSRP.

Good luck, and we welcome you!!

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a bad sign... :lol: When the salesman stands up and shakes YOUR hand!

Obviously, there you have NO position. Go somewhere else.

Don't let him off the hook though...

Go back a few months from now, ask for the same salesman, and ask to test drive some expensive, yet relatively common car on their lot (maybe something like a Lexus, or high end Avalon). Then hem-and-haw for two hours, set a ridiculous price point, and after he goes in and TALKS TO THE MANAGER :lol: 3 times, get up, shake his hand, and say, "nah, it's not time, sorry..."

Then, if he asks "when will it be the right time?" You tell him:

3:16, and I'M GONNA WHOOP YOUR ARSE!!!

[Broken External Image]:http://www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/0743482670/C_0743482670.jpg

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You don't want to know what I paid over the MRSP.

And you know what? I don't care anymore. The car is worth every penny over the MRSP. I get great mileage, in a comfy car, that can, when needed, move out.

And, so what if I paid over. I wanted the car. It's only money, that once spent on a car in the first place, is gone. Cars rarely increase in value after they leave the lot.

Live with it, or don't. It's still a (semi) free country.

11. Spartan

Spartan New Member

I would never pay over MSRP regardles of the car. It is a matter of principle for me. I am sure we all work hard for every dollar we get. Why give it to the dealer?
    All these dealers think they have a captive audience all the time. As soon as they detect that you have a desperate look about a specific car in your face you are toast. :)

12. attenergy

attenergy New Member

'Market Adjustment' is what the dealers here in Dallas are calling it. My wife and I spent a Saturday afternoon calling dealerships around the region. The places that were selling for sticker had a 6 month waiting list.

I have seen places here that are selling for 6k over sticker.

A couple of weeks ago I almost had a deal but the salesman sold it out from underneath me due to the fact that another buyer was willing to pay 5k over sticker.

Craziness...

13. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    July/August seem to have been the time to purchase a Prius. My dealer was pushing over $1000 off sticker on their inventory; it was tempting but they didn't have exactly what I wanted, so I put in an order. Then the hurricanes hit, gas prices shot up, and the markups/waitlists started all over again -- and that's just for '05s.

14. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Then you will be on the long waiting list.

I didn't want to wait that long.

The dealer tried $3,000 over and after hours and 12:30am we settled at $500 over. But I drove off with my car that night, not 6 months later.

You buy your car how you want and I will buy mine how I want.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

Complain all you want and moan about how it's not fair. But reality is that supply and demand will dictate the price.

So you can be upset about it and call the dealer idiots and not have a Prius or realize the reality of the situation and buy one.

Chances are you can find a dealer that will sell at MSRP, you will just have to wait.

15. Stevep

Stevep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I just took delivery of my new 05 prius. I got it at Courtesy Toyota in Orlando, Fl. (if you were willing to go that far.) I was originally told that it would take 16 weeks, but it would be at MSRP. The salesman Jeff McBeth told me that they never charge a dealer premium. I left as I did not want to wait that long. That weekend, he called me and told me that one would be delivered in about 1 week if I wanted it. The wait was actually about 2 weeks. Overall, it was a satisfying experience. Only have about 250 miles on it ( 3 days) @ 49.6 MPG, driving it just like a OPEC loving car. GREAT CAR. Good luck on finding one under MSRP.

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price pretty much sums it up. Are you going to sell your car you are replacing with the Prius to the guy who never pays the asking price (figuring people always ask more they they will actually take) or to the guy who will pay you what you want?

17. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Suppose you have a car that many people want, many more than the number of cars you have for sale. So, you increase the price to the point where you can make the highest possible profit and still sell the cars. That's just the way it is in this society. If you don't like it, you'll have to wait until supply overcomes demand, or go buy a big SUV at way below msrp.

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you did the right thing to walk. Call around, and find a dealer that isn't attempting to commit fraud and gouge on the price of the car. If I were in your shoes, when you pick up your car, go back to the criminal dealers, and show them your car, and point out how they cost themselves that sale due to their blatant criminal activity. Then laugh at the losers while you drive away in your new Prius. The FEH is going through alot of the same price gouging, and I still bought mine for $915 under sticker, sitting on the lot.

19. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

But that's the thing -- you didn't cost them a sale. The marked-up car got sold to someone else, but it did get sold. That's why the dealers are marking the cars up in the first place -- they can get away with it! They don't really give a crap who specifically buys the car, as long as someone does.

I have e-mailed the fleet managers of many Honda dealers around the Southern California area when figuring out a dealer to buy the upcoming HCH from, and all of them would not accept less than $1000 over MSRP. And these are fleet managers, not salesman!

20. MGBGT

MGBGT New Member

I paid MSRP for my 05 PII. Ordered at a TX dealer in July 04, picked up in Jan 05.
    It's the same thing with all popular cars.
    When I got my 03 MINI Cooper S i paid MSRP. I think the MINI stayed above or at best at MSRP for at least 3 years after it came out, maybe longer (haven't kept up with MINIs). In some places markups for MINIs ranged as high as 5-6k above MSRP, and as long as there are people willing to pay that on a short supply car, you won't find it for less. When the Honda S2000 came out initial markups were as much as $10k above MSRP.
    As high as the demand for Prii is, my guess is you won't find one below MSRP for at least 1-2 years. Your best bet may be a private sale of a slightly used car.