1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fred Phelps: Homosexuals caused NIU Shooting

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MegansPrius, Feb 15, 2008.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's the problem with trying to take an anthology literally as an absolute, unquestionable truth. Every author included in the compilation has his own ideas, viewpoints, prejudices, etc. Then if you're reading a translation of a translation of a record which was passed down orally for a few hundred years before first being written down, and all the source material you have is a copy of a copy of a copy of the original written version, well, forget it. Better just read it as a novel, for its literary value.

There is not a single original text for any of the books of the Bible. All we have are copies; and copyists in those days were notorious for making changes, some intentional, others not.

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yikes. Thanks Kow and Tony for removing the link.--Scott

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing this guy and his daughters in action on the streets of San Francisco. He uses a supercharged bullhorn louder than an ambulance. His daughters sure look like the product of incest, you couldn't get that ugly any other way. He would never eat them, it might be catchy.

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Kow. I'm glad there's still something we disagree on.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is it just won't last forever.

Wildkow

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tony
    Practically everything you said here is taken out of context, misrepresented, misquoted or just plain wrong. Please supply the Book, Chapter and Verse where the Bible says the things you say it does. Fred Phelps uses the same tactics and rhetoric to justify his hate. I know you somewhat and I know that's not you but this kind of misrepresentation makes me sad and somewhat angry.

Wildkow

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tony

BTW good job on breaking up the link. I think that was a smart move, it avoids accusations of censorship and yet prevents some people (like me) that in a kneejerk reaction just click on any link that is there without thinking about it first.

Wildkow

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That was exactly my point. I get quickly annoyed with those who take one sentence from and entire body of work and base an entire belief around it. That's what some people, Phelps included love to do.

As for chapter and verse, I can quickly misrepresent the following verses to make the LORD mean whatever I want:
    • On honoring mothers and fathers
      Leviticus 20:9 "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother, his blood shall be upon him." and Exodus 20:12 "Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." and Mathew 19:19 "Honor thy father and thy mother" and Mark 7:10 "For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death" and Deuteronomy 5:16 and Ephesians 6:2 and Matthew 15:4 and a few others.
    • On beating children with rods
      Proverbs 13:24 "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." and Proverbs 29:15 "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."
    • On taking an eye for an eye
      Leviticus 24:20 "Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again."
    • On turning the other cheek
      Matthew 5:39 "But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."
    • On not eating ham sandwiches
      Leviticus 11:7 "And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven-footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you." and Deuteronomy 14:8 "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass."
    • On stoning as a form of punishment for certain offenses
      Leviticus 24:22 - 23 "Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God. And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses." and Levitius 24:16 "And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death." and Deuteronomy 22:23 "If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbor's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you."
    • On loving our neighbors
    ah screw it, I'm done.
    The point, as you said, is that anyone can take individual sentences and interpret them either strictly or loosely to make them mean whatever they want them to. And if the person they are talking to is gullible or ignorant enough, they just might fall for it.

BTW, if you check Matt 5:38, it specifically condemns Leviticus 24:20 right before giving the quote I used in Matt 5:39.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahem . . . I knew that. :rolleyes:

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If he pulled a Jerry Falwell heart attack and dropped dead, I would not shed a tear. That being said, this guy certainly does not deserve to die and has every right to spew the things he does.

The vast majority of people don't take him seriously, but many people do share his belief that homosexuality is a sin that the earth would be better off without. Fortunately this is a sticking point reserved for mostly older people(>40), and will be soon be a non issue in 2-3 generations.

11. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But why does he blame everything on British cigarettes? :p

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Dissident

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wasn't saying he deserves to die, just that I'm surprised no one has tried.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do not advocate killing anyone. But I also do not believe that hate speech is a protected right. I do not believe that anyone has the right to foment hatred. Fred Phelps has made a career and a living out of fomenting hatred, and I'd just as soon see him in jail. Most of the people in jail do not belong there. Fred Phelps is one of many people not in jail who belong in jail.

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think people who aren't already insanely hateful in america would take this guy seriously.

15. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Au contraire, I can think of at least one person who might just be the sort to follow him, if not now, then eventually. And he would cite faith as his reason for doing so.

As for the various quotes mentioned, I suppose the quotes used in the open letter to Dr. Laura are also out of context, too.

16. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions as long as they are not trying to incite a riot or just be mean. I also think the gays are causing too much heat with all their dancing and carrying on and are melting our Arctic ice caps. It's just not natural. They are destroying our environment. I think we should gather up all the homos and make them drive Prius...s to balance out the environmental problems they create. It seems my Lunesta has kicked in and I am rambling; somebody take overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

When you see this guy in action you'll either roll your eyes and wonder how god made such a hate-driven mistake, or you'll hang on his every word since he's a (self-proclaimed) preacher and you think all preachers are worthy of a listen. What makes him different than, say, Rush or Laura is that with them you can turn the channel and with him, if you're within mega-megaphone hearing distance you can't escape him.