1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fred Singer wrote WSJ opinion piece

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, May 22, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not behind a paywall: The Sea Is Rising, but Not Because of Climate Change - WSJ

. . .
    I chose to assess the sea-level trend from 1915-45, when a genuine, independently confirmed warming of approximately 0.5 degree Celsius occurred. I note particularly that sea-level rise is not affected by the warming; it continues at the same rate, 1.8 millimeters a year, according to a 1990 review by Andrew S. Trupin and John Wahr. I therefore conclude—contrary to the general wisdom—that the temperature of sea water has no direct effect on sea-level rise. That means neither does the atmospheric content of carbon dioxide.
    . . .
    • "chose to assess the sea-level trend from 1915-45" - this is called Cherry Picking and sad to say it includes tidal data that predates global satellite observations. Tidal metrics suffer from a problem of subsidence and observation altitude changes.
    • "it continues at the same rate, 1.8 millimeters a year, according to a 1990 review by Andrew S. Trupin and John Wahr" - again avoiding satellite data showing a substantially higher rate. Notice his reference is 28 years old.
    • "The temperature of sea water has no direct effect on sea-level rise" - a remarkable claim refuted by ordinary physics and steam tables.
    • "neither does the atmospheric content of carbon dioxide" - well at least he sees the linkage between CO{2} and sea water temperature. His claim is built upon the density of sea water never changing with temperature.
    I started to read the user comments and sad to say, he has truly 'stepped in it.'

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Trupin and Wahr also co authored an article describing global glacial mass loss in 1992. Unclear that they are 'singers' in Fred's choir.

Walter Munk clearly is not. The 2002 "enigma" article in PNAS is free online and required reading for HuntsVillains :)

The enigma was how much of sea-level rise can be attributed to accelerating heat storage.