1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free charging etiquette?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Pasaman, May 16, 2014.

1. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    We have 2 free charge pointe chargers at work and 4 spots. The 2 chargers have 2 of the actual chargers and then 2 outlets for using your own plugs. I get there firsts so I move immediately after charging. When I went to move my cAr today there was a pip and a fusion on each side of me with their inlet doors opens. I'm guessing they want the charger since they probably don't bring their own to plug into the free outlet.

Are they wanting me to plug them in? Any issues using my charge point card? Maybe they want to use their account to monitor and have statistics etc. I have no problem plugging them in but I don't know the etiquette. Which one would I plug in? Charger reaches both of them.

What would you do? I'm thinking of leaving my phone number to chat since it's the same cars everyday and maybe we can coordinate and come to an agreement.

2. woody weaver

woody weaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    " I'm thinking of leaving my phone number to chat... we can coordinate and come to an agreement."

How terribly civilized -- avoid the tragedy of the commons through kindness and communication. Pity it won't last.

Astolat likes this.
  3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If only Mr. Putin was so wise, leaving the note sounds like a great idea!

4. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good aspiration for life. Or an aspiration for the good life.

Will Stewart likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    run a couple of paper cups and a string between your charge door and theirs, let the communication begin!:p

6. Witness

Witness Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Y'know, a few times I just went ahead and plugged other cars in even though their inlet doors weren't open. In your case, I would take that as a hint that they want their car plugged in.

There is a need for some defined EV station etiquette though, because it's kind of like th wild, wild west right now. Things like plugging others in when you're done; moving your car soon after it is fully charged; not sitting in the same spot for more than 2hrs if there is a queue (lookin' at the Leaf, Tesla, RAV folks).

As far as some of those discussions go where pure EV folks getting huffy about PiPs charging while they absolutely need some juice, and we have the option of going hybrid mode: Tough cookies - that's the reason I didn't go pure EV, so getting stranded is kind of their own fault. :ROFLMAO: