1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Energy for Prius Cars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rsforkner, May 10, 2008.

1. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, we all know that all of the energy used in a stock Prius comes from gasoline, right? Well I figured out how to change that.

First, you have to get to Denver. (Note that how you got there is irrelevant here.) Maybe you already live there.

Now drive to San Francisco. Over the course of the trip you should gain approximately 5,000 feet of energy. If you are moving to San Francisco so much the better.

Of course like anything that is free, there is a catch. You must never return to Denver. Doing so will use all of the free energy you have in the bank.

There you have it, free energy, less any internal losses.

Of course, this would be true for any coastal destination. :):):)

Enjoy the trip,
    Bob

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All except there's that energy getting to Denver in the first place...you can temporarily gain energy in a million scenarios...but the net will never be a gain.

3. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    True, but the original premise states "(Note that how you got there is irrelevant here.)". Also "you can never return". It is also possible that you were born in Denver or walked. Lots of people did in the 1800s. :)

Of course in the grand scheme of the universe the energy came from someplace. As long as it didn't come from dino fuel it can be considered free, for this exercise.

Bob
    Note that I have no plans to implement this plan...:D

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stop yer whining and get back there and push!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But the energy did come from dino fuel. All transportation into Denver uses dino fuel. Even if you were born in Denver, your Prius didn't spontaneously appear there, so the transportation to that altitude required dino fuel.

I know you are only being silly with this idea, but trying to defend it is beyond silly.

Tom

6. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Tom, I GIVE UP! :)

I mostly hoped that someone would smile a little while reading this thread.

Bob

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    back during the early 70's I was in Denver to get some tech schooling into a new career field AFSC after the injury. The people of Denver were very rude crude anti military and hateful to me in uniform.

I will never go back there. I realise it was the political wave of the time but I took it personally when I was spit on. I could have given my life for their right to hate my uniform and me. I accept that but never have liked it and never will forget it.

8. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So sorry for your experience. I came back from Vietnam in '67. Things were a little better then, but as I started my carrier I could see things were turning. I often avoided telling people that I had been in Vietnam simply to avoid some of the ugly things people were doing and saying.

I truly hope that our men in service do not have to experience those kinds of actions today. I fear, however, that there are still pockets of ignorance out there. I just don't understand why people can't, or refuse to separate the politics from the reality.

I guess is it's the same kind of people who yell at the poor girl at the checkout because the prices are too high when they should be talking to the manager. Maybe they are afraid to confront those who have the power to change things.

Bob

9. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome home Brothers.

Nam 65-66 and 69-70. Had to snuck out the back gate of Camp Pendleton when I came back in 70 due to the protesters.

10. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's why they call it the West "Coast."

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just drive with a tailwind everywhere I go. Much easier than spiriting myself to Denver all the time.

When I need *real* free energy I ride my bike. Turns out that I need free energy a lot.

12. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Continuing with the spirit of this thread, energy was used to make the bike and energy was used to transport the food that you burn to peddle the bike. Let's face it. In today's world nothing is truly free... <BIG SIGH>

As I started out this thread, Denver to SF is as close as it gets. But then of course you can never really spend it so what's the use? <Another Sigh>

The tail wind does come close. Powered by the sun. Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Bob

13. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok i know we are joking but what about that water pwoered car they had back in the 70's? the one that OPEC got the patten for $10mill. and then sat on.

i see chevy is trying something like this here in NY. well NYC but they are trying it anyway.
    mith busters did a story on a car running on water once but i think that was water and gas mix......something about a mister.

all i know is mine seems like free enegry compared to my full size Dodge truck.

14. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    definately. I fill up every two weeks at around 450 miles. The wife can take one tank for almost 4 weeks. We used to fill each of our SUV's once a week with 20 gallons each. Our combined energy footprint is tiny compared to what it was!

PS: I heard that Lowry closed up shop after I got out in the early 80's. Thats millions of dollars the nasty city loses. I'm glad!!

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now wait just a second! I drop by to play along... and get dinged for the energy to make the bicycle?! Technical Foul!

The Prius is made from rose pedals and the laughter of children? We've got to set at least *some* stipulations here, or I'm taking my ball and going home.

Well, OK... as long as no energy was used to build the car, or to feed the guy behind the wheel!

16. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    darelldd "We've got to set at least *some* stipulations here, or I'm taking my ball and going home."

I agree with you. From my original post: " First, you have to get to Denver. (Note that how you got there is irrelevant here.) Maybe you already live there."

Please stay. You and I are the only sane ones here.... You get to keep the bike and the tailwind.

Bob

17. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bob,

At the risk of being technical, you've just re-affirmed the first law of thermodynamics (the total energy in the universe is constant, you can move it around, but you can't create or destroy it.)

18. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    But isn't it nice to know that you have it in the bank, just in case you ever need it? (I know, you will only get about half of it back.... but still););)

No problem being technical just a long as you don't get silly! :)

Bob

19. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOL....Sometimes I'm not sure if there's a difference between "technical" and "silly"...;)

And yes, one of the greatest things (IMHO) about the Prius is its ability to recapture kinetic energy, at least partially, and store it for later use. Whether that's motion that resulted from burning fuel or just by realizing potential energy, it is still cool.

I think that potentially the biggest rub comes with folks who live on top of or on the side of hills. Yes, going up the hill does build potential, but when you stop your car at home, turn it off and let it cool down, you're probably not going to get back as much as the "half" because of the Prius' warm-up cycle and the fuel it burns during that time. Of course that's all dependent on the climate and the geography....

20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You do realize that you can never leave Florida without expending the energy to get to a higher elevation, don't you? You are trapped in a gravitational potential well. :evil: