1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Grace period public chargers in Burbank

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by davidbw, Apr 9, 2012.

1. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Burbank California has installed a number of public Chargepoint chargers. Apparently these chargers will be free until 07/01/2012, and $2 an hour thereafter. If you have a credit card with an RFID tag you can use the chargers now, without being charged a fee, or you can apply for a Chargepoint card, or apparently you can call a phone number on the sign.

There are other charging stations in Downtown Burbank (in the IKEA parking lot) which is charging a fee now.

http://www.burbankwaterandpower.com/download/EV_charging_locations_flyer.pdf

2. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you tried activating with a credit card, usually you have to call the number to get the station to let you charge - Chargepoint will usually send you a chargepoint card after you call.

3. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yesterday, I found a pair of stations. A Chevy Volt and driver was just about to leave. He used his Chargepoint card to unlock a charging station for me. After he left, and I read the instructions I found out that one of my credit cards has the tap symbol on it. I used it on the second station, and used the second station to charge the Segway that was in my hatchback.

When you unlock the station you have a choice of pulling out the charge cable which plugs into the Prius charge recepticle, or you can open a door which exposes a 120 V heavy duty plug. You can't use both at the same time on the same station; however, there were two stations there, one for my Prius, and one for the Segway.

4. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    They may extend it again come 07/01. They've already extended it once.

Interesting, the Ikea in Carson doesn't charge.

5. Conrad

Conrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2 hours of 8 amps equals little less than 4kwh. $4.00 gets you 12 miles.
    Seems like it's a lot cheaper to buy gas. I mean a lot cheaper.