1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free lifetime warranties from dealers???

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Emma7145, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Emma7145

Emma7145 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm just beginning the process of looking for a 2017 Prius Two Eco (I'm still on the fence though btwn Two and Two Eco). The "e-prices" (the price they will email you but not post on their website) seem to mostly range between about $24k to the mid to high 25's. But the wrinkle that I'm seeing now is that some of the dealerships are offering free, nationwide, lifetime powertrain warranties. In my area, Kasper Toyota's is thru "My Warranty Forever," Nourse Toyota is thru "National Powertrain for Life LLC" and Beechmont Toyota has "Life Care Plus." Has anyone had any experience with this type of warranty before?

I've wasted money on extended warranties in the past so I wouldn't pay extra for it but if it's free why not? The why not for me would be a few things: (a) there are only three of these dealerships within about a four hour drive, (b) there are fewer Eco's out there so only one of the three has an Eco (luckily it's a color that I like but it's the only one so it could be gone before I'm ready to buy).

If I do drive the 3.5 hours to get the Eco from the dealership with the warranty ("e-price" of $24,344), I think they would be less likely to work with me on the price because I'd be less likely to just walk away if the numbers don't work. And, I couldn't really ask one of the dealerships that doesn't have an Eco to order it really ask a dealer to order and then haggle on the price. I'm not sure if all that wrangling is worth it for something I may or may not use.

As background, I treat my cars very well, always do the maintenance at Toyota, would plan on keeping the car for at least 5-10 years. And the best in town "e-prices" that I'm seeing are $24,141 in white, $23,852 in blue, $24,741 in magnetic grey. I think I would prefer silver or white if getting an Eco in order to minimize any heat gain, in which case I might have to go pretty far out of town anyway!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bogus. get the warranty and post it here. i guarantee you, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

get the best price, and buy it there, nothing else matters. except color and options.:)

RCO and Bluegrassman like this.
  3. Emma7145

Emma7145 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the dealership really need to make the sale you will get your price. No matter how gray it look keep your cool.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine came with 3 yrs from TOYOTA, plus something like an extra 5 yrs "FREE" from the dealer. Which didn't worry me, the price for the car was the same as down the road at another dealer - but I've not kept a car till even 5 yrs old for a LONG time, so I'm unlikely to get any benefit. The dealer had a stipulation that all servicing has to be done at the dealership - which, for the reason above, doesn't concern me either - though I'm likely to do that - they're within walking distance.

Dragon Rider and RCO like this.
  6. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Every dealer "Lifetime Warranty" I've seen has included fine print requiring you to follow the DEALER RECOMMENDED service plan which calls for many expensive services not necessarily recommended by the manufacture. And of course, they must be performed by that dealership. These "recommended" services end up costing far more than the price of an extended warranty.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Dragon Rider, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just checked the first link.
    They specifically say no extra maintenance is required and service can be performed at any ASE certified facility. I specifically notice the omission of any battery or traction battery mentioned. That is a major expense for older Prius vehicles.

EDIT: The second link says to see dealer for details.
    The third link says that manufacturer maintenance & that mentioned in the contract needs to be done. They then concentrate on towing, etc. with no mention of any power train warranty or what is covered. Although they recommend ASE certified facilities, they do not require it.

If you wish to take the gamble, only the first link has any reasonable amount of detail, but I would try to get in writing whether the hybrid traction battery, etc. is covered too.

8. Emma7145

Emma7145 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ended up making my purchase today, not from a dealer with a free warranty (and did not buy the extended warranty). Went with the people just down the street and it was a great buying process and a good to very good deal too (and there was absolutely zero pressure to buy the extended warranty, or any other upgrades!).

My dealer today said that the cost of the warranty is just built into the price of the car, which is about what I would expect. I think if you were going certified preowned and weren't sure exactly what maintenance had been done on the car, and you were still getting a good price, then it might not be a bad idea. It's probably like any Toyota extended warranty though - most likely to be a waste of money since they're so darn well made to begin with.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fine print on the nourse states: 'see the power train for life customer agreement for specifics regarding deductibles, claims processing and specific component coverage.' so i guess we need that. there's no mention of hybrid components, just standard mechanics.
    i do like the fact that it states, 'this is a promotion piece, and should not be construed as a contract.':cool:

RCO and Dragon Rider like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What colour?

13. Emma7145

Emma7145 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I went with a silver Two. Keeping it simple. I like that color best but I wasn't so sure because I'm not a big fan of the new design and I thought blue or red would hide that better. But I'm really happy with what I got. Its so good to be back in the Prius again!!!

RCO, krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My last car was silver - my first silver car - and probably not my last.

I tried for silver this time, but was told at least 3 months wait. It was by far the easiest to keep clean - well, it just didn't show the dirt anything like the previous Titanium Grey, nor the reds, greens, yellows etc. I've had many white cars, and that's what I've got again - mainly because it was the only one available.

A photo sometime?