1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free metered parking: LA, SM, HB

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pvsteph7, Feb 19, 2008.

1. pvsteph7

pvsteph7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just want to clarify for the on Los Angeles with a carpool HOV sticker:

Priuses with the carpool sticker can park for free (up to the meter's time limits) in the city of Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and Hermosa Beach.

Is this correct?

2. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is correct at least for Los Angeles through Jan 1, 2011 (for any car with a California clean air vehicle decal -- not just Prii).

I don't know about the other two cities.

If you plan to take advantage of the L.A. free parking, make sure you know where L.A. ends and other cities start. It can be tricky.

3. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is good to know! I have a couple of questions though...

1) I have a 2008 Prius. There is a small sticker in the bottom corner of the rear seat window on the driver's side which reads PZEV - Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. It's kind of small and hard to see, but it's there. Is this the one I need? Or do I have to register for a special sticker through the DMV or the City of Los Angeles?

2) I presume that even though I don't have to feed the meters, I still have to obey the posted limits at the meter? (As opposed to those with handicap placards, who can park at metered zones indefinitely). In other words, the parking cops will still mark my tires and check to be sure I'm not hogging the space all day, correct? From an earlier post it sounds like this is the case.

3) I can just see it now -- I park in a metered zone, save myself the 10 cents for the meter, then get a ticket anyway, and then have to spend the next 2 and a half hours on the phone or in line at the DMV getting it removed. :) Has anyone gotten a parking ticket because the parking enforcement officers didn't know the law?

5. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) No, the PZEV thing in the window definitely isn't it. To get the free parking you need a California Clean Air Vehicle decal. Unfortunately, you can no longer get those decals. The decals allow you to drive in the carpool lane with one person, and the number given to hybrids is limited by law to keep from flooding the carpool lanes with them. They've all been given out.

Every once in a while the legislature ups the number and some more go out. It might not hurt to apply for one even if you can't get one now.

2) Yes, they could chalk your tire and give you a ticket for being there too long. Just like they could for someone who keeps feeding the meter.

3) Yes, hybrids parked legally without paying have gotten tickets. Usually a letter takes care of it. In one case the person chased down the parking ticket lady and after hearing the justification she took the ticket back and tore it up.

6. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

Yes to santa monica. See http://www.smgov.net/epd/residents/Transportation/cleanauto.htm