1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free NAV DVD update - the story so far...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikepaul, Nov 14, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They're cracking down on Internet use at work so I use RSS a lot now and somehow missed this.

A few posters said they did get 5.1 after asking for the free update, and that's why I wondered how/why the dealer pulled that off...

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the update if free, there should be no quams about copying it?
    Leave some collateral and Borrow one from a car dealer for an hour and bring it back.
    Or someone can copy it into an .iso file and you can download it with broadband.. even DL will only take a few hours to download?

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is there any way a 2005 Prius is covered under this, so I can ask for a new one (grin)? I did have it done to our older 2004 before we got rid of it.

I have 4.2. Anybody find out how much is the upgrade to 5.1?

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got a 2006.
    I'm kinda pissed with the data on it.
    We got a new highway that was COMPLETED 1.5 years ago.
    It was done in 2 phases. Phase 1 was done 3-4 years ago and phase 2 (the long part) was done 1.5 years ago. Phase 2 is not on the map data.

Prevoiusly we had 3 major highways in the city. They made a 3 sided box around the city. The new highway completed the 4th side of the box. Well I live in the middle of the new box. So it is a major pain when it plans my route. When I'm on the new highway you see me trucking 70mph through farm land.

I mean come on!!! The highway has been in the works for 25 years. You think they could have planned ahead a little. I mean...lets say they put the new highway on the DVD a little early and it wasn't completed by the time the DVD was released. It wouldn't be THAT long before it was opened...and when it was the data would at least last longer.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    3.1 showed proposed parts of the 285 route around Charlotte. While driving through fields per the map, it did know what was coming.

As long as 5.1 sucks for somebody, I'll worry less about it...

6. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :p

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Only if it came with version 4.1, as the very early 05s did.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK. Last weekend was no good for them due to end-of-year inventory, so I went in 1/7 and got the 4.2 NAV DVD. My 50P update couldn't be done due to low battery voltage, and I have to go back during the week sometime so they can get Tech Support on the phone while doing it. <sigh> Seriously thinking about ducking out until I actually stall.

Anyway, it took a little time to see the good and bad to 4.2.

Good: my neighborhood is almost correct, with the actual street names on existant roads, and no phantom road for me to be told to go home on. The extension of the road done at least a year ago (where I live) isn't there, so I'm a little off the end and "You have arrived..." is a tad early. Routed home a little differently than before, but maybe the distance figures are now shorter the way it picked.

Bad: all the parking lot roads I used to see when I got to work are gone. My "Work" location now sits out on an empty field. And when I'm driving on one part of the complex, I'm told I've actually strayed onto I-77, which is only a few dozen yards to the left but up until using 4.2 wasn't depicted as that close to the buildings (or where they should be). I'll be watching other landmark-to-map relationships and see if more stuff is mislocated.

So I guess I'll have to experience how bad the bad can get, but some of the good is quite good...

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you lost information?? wow what a bummer. all Nav systems have missing information. satisfaction all hinges on whether it ever affects ya. that is why i went for a solution that costs the least to upgrade. new version...$39.95... at least that is what the first version cost.

10. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hummm.... Being a new owner I was wondering how all this worked. Help me out here; When you purchase, don't you get updates free at specific time intervals, for a certian amount of time?

The DVD is under the drivers seat? It is still in the player? What happens if it's removed - does NAV still work? (probebly not is my guess.)

And, if the DVD is not suppled by Toyota, why can't we get it from the manufacturer?

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont think so

12. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    why?

13. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    because

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, you have to pay $288 each time you want an update...
    You can change the DVD between operations, and everything still works. They checked to see that a 5.1 DVD would work, then just put back the old one. The display never blanked out, so I guess it had pre-loaded all it needed and later when I checked, the old DVD version number showed up as if it had read the DVD for that information on-demand...
    "Supplied" by Toyota, yes, but made by their vendor. Toyota wants the $288, but we don't know how much they pay the vendor. Other portable-PC NAV software is much cheaper, but apparently built-in-at-the-factory DVD-based NAV is a captive audience, which means you pay more.

When everything becomes satellite-based someday, including the map data, there'll probably be a monthly fee for traffic information that'll subsidize map data updates. I just dread what the initial charge might be when it seems like they charge too much now compared to other, aftermarket NAV systems. Not getting completely lost is worth quite a bit, but paper maps can still sound like a better substitute if the NAV price is stunning: look at some posts here about why some available fully-loaded cars have been left for others to buy...

15. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks so much mikepaul! I appreciate the information!

LOL@8AA - i like it.......

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the DVD Nav have a dvd that must remain inside in order to give info upon demand?

How do you load the new dvd?.... is it just a matter of which one is loaded when info is called?

And sorry for being so ignorant, but I assume the nav dvd disk is totally seperate from the music cd console?.. there must be a place to load the disk in the nav.... roger?

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the NAV disc loads in the DVD player under the drivers' seat. (i know im gonna get grief for calling a $1500 system a DVD player...hehehe)

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

So if you play a regular dvd "like a movie dvd"... I suppose that would be the one to put it in too... "under the seat?"

And if so, would the NAV still work while the movie dvd was in?

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hehehe... well the question i want to know is if i put in a movie, would it play on the MFD?

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I think it will with an addon... and you can mod it to play even when your not parked if I remember right.
    http://www.coastaletech.com/universal_video.htm
    Do you know if this will work with CanView installed also?