1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Prius to whoever figures out whats wrong with mine :(...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by goitalone, Aug 23, 2012.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He probably didn't "test" the modules but just took their readouts. I misunderstood, I thought you were meaning cells as modules. Most people don't understand the difference or that each module is made of multiple cells.

But the Prius Battery Management ECU can only measure modules, not cells.

Controller Area Network is CAN. It is one of 3 buses in the Prius, and the CAN is a 500kbps bus that most important information is on. So a CAN reader can look at this traffic and solicit information from him.

That's GOOD.

That's also GOOD. Green SOC is a bad thing. Between 3-6 bars (the blue region) is where it is happy. Green is overcharged and it will try to bleed that excess by running in more electric. Red/Pink is undercharged and it uses the battery less.

The dealership may have a good tech that does alignment but so might a Brakes Plus. The improbability of them having a good tech is what makes it a gamble. If you want a good alignment, go to an alignment shop. Probability of a good alignment technician at an alignment shop seems more probable.

That does happen on a Prius, usually because of rust or dirt on the pads. The brakes get used so infrequently that crap accumulates there. In salt climates that also means rust. In wet climates it could squeak just because of the grit.

Where on earth did you read that below 12v is normal for a 12v battery? That is untrue everywhere. Your battery will continue to work fine for a while longer, but preventative maintenance suggests every 3 years in harsh climates and use and 5 years in normal areas. 98% to 99% of the battery is recycled, so no worries about waste. It will slightly increase MPG, sometimes it is more dramatic when the battery is completely dead.

As for oil, the max fill line is just that. If the oil is above that line, even a little bit, it is overfilled. If the oil is below the minimum fill line, then it is underfilled. Between that region is good. 3-5 mm below the max fill line is a good happy place.

2. goitalone

goitalone Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, lol! You, my friend, are the person I have always wanted to be, but I always seem to wimp out and take a big one where it doesn't belong.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your Prius has 3 batteries that are crucial
    1) the HV Battery gets SOME of it's charge from regen, but it is not what we are recommending you replace.
    2) The 12 volt battery (traditional car battery) is charged solely by the inverter. If it can't really charge, the inverter wastes a great deal of energy trying. This hurts your MPG.
    3) the Fob battery is a 'watch battery' and mostly lets you in the car. Under $5, but not suspect today.

Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 +

4. goitalone

goitalone Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the information, it's been a big help!

So...

Took it todealership today to get my alignment done correctly and to get my steering wheel straightened (has been turned to the right about 5 degrees since I bought the car last year) and they told me the same thing about the battery being bad. I had the guy at the front tell me the hours of labor for each thing and to replace the battery, they wanted 106 bucks (an hours labor...riiight) to install the 12v battery...I don't think so! I'll being doing that job myself.

They also told me my water pump has a minor leak, the belt for it was badly cracked, told me to have new spark plugs put in, said A/C compressor was going bad, had an A/C leak AND was trying to sell me a headlight cleaning thing where it makes them look like new due to fading from the sun for $100....no thanks!

I asked to see this cracked belt and water leak and was shown the belt only, so not sure is true about the pump or not, but the belt did look cracked like every mm of it...unless that is the way it looks by design.

The service tech. told me I had 38 PSI in all 4 tires and lowered them to 35. I don't understand why it was 38, when I had just put 44/42 in two days before.

Anyway, I drove it home and it seems to steer better and run normal now MPG wise, so I guess I'll see what happens. I'll also put more air back in the tires tomorrow. maybe 42/40 this time because when I did first put the 44/42 in a few days ago, the MPG got worse. IS it possible that 44/42 isn't good for certain tires or cause the MPG to actually drop? Because this is the second time I took it to someone, they let some air out of tires, and I then got better MPG.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If that is so, then you would be the first person to mention it, that I have come across. Everyone who wants to improve mileage increases tire pressure up to the side wall rating, or even more. Toyota keeps the tires soft as it improves the cushy ride.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No there's just more variability in day to day MPG than what you've figured on. That's why you keep thinking one day it's fixed and the next day it's broken (Remember that it was "fixed" after you left it with Mellor's, even though they said they found nothing. Then a few days later it broke gain because you drove across a bridge in "B"??? :rolleyes:) 2007 Low MPG -- Can't figure out why | Page 8 | PriusChat

Track it over a full tank at least before jumping to conclusions.

7. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you ever changed your Trans-axle fluid. How about winds in your area especially head winds. E-brake drag and of course are all wheels turning freely? Also play around with different air pressures. Once ICE is warm do you use EV to get you up to speed, max. 50 Kph. Getting your Prius moving with EV aids in better over-all FE. H